Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2013 7:04:19 PM EDT
I am going with some friends to southern Ontario on a fishing trip. There will be some bass and perch fishing, but I have experience chasing those fish. The one I am curious about is walleye. Does anyone have any advice regarding tackle or tactics for these fish?

There are also supposedly Northern Pike in these waters as well, so that might be a possible target species as well.

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 1:32:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I only fished them once in Quebec more than 20 years ago. It seems to me we used weighted jig heads and colored artificial worms for the walleyes. We caught a few pike on spinners and spoons. I had won a guided trip and had no idea at all how to fish them before that. I hope that helps.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 10:50:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Just returned back from Pipestone Lake in Ontario.  We pulled Lindy rigs 90% of the time.  Get an assortment of weights.  Buy a number of them cause you can get into some snaggy spots.  We used rigs that had a spinner and floats on them.  This time of year worms and leaches work well. We were catching in 16 to 18 fow.  Fish are around islands and reefs.  Run around the edge of weeds.  We back trolled at 1.0 to 1.3.  You can catch walleyes, perch, northern, and smallies with this gear.  

My boat partner pulled a 26.5 on one of the new scatter raps.  

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 10:29:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the help. Leaving in two days now, so I'm getting everything ready. I will be sure to update with results from the week when I get back.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 10:13:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Well I've been back for a little while, but am just remembering to update the thread. We only caught one walleye, but slew the smallmouth and caught a few pike and perch. Overall it was an awesome trip. We might be going again next year, so we might try something different then. Thanks for all of the advise.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top