Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2013 8:22:23 AM EDT
Anyone ever been? What river did you go to? White? What kind of rod did you use?

I'm thinking about making a trip up but couldn't decide if I should bring my fly rod or not. Haven't gotten to break it out in a while and wouldn't mind catching some trout on it.

I've never been up that way for any kind of fishing. Is it best to get a "guide" to take you to the best spots or is it pretty easy to find a good spot on your own? I figured most guide trips would take up all the good river space and try and run you off if you aren't with their group. Heard of this happening a few times at other rivers.

Thanks ahead of time!
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 7:58:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag
I have been doing some research on the White River the past week or so, some real pigs caught on that river. It looks to me like a lot of it is artificial lures and barbless hooks. I would say go with a fly rod! Just think about a 3+ lb hook jaw brown on your line listening to you reel zing!

Link Posted: 6/26/2013 9:07:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Gastons Resort on the White River at Bull Shoals.  Nuff said.  Look it up!
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 11:30:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies!

Here is the thread I made over in GD. It's actually got some good info in it.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1501247_Trout_Fishing_in_Arkansas.html
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 11:39:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Didn't know Arkansas had enough cold water for trout.  Awesome!
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 11:52:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I live right here in Mountain Home, AR near the White and just moved here last year from my other place which was overlooking the White River. I'm a (part time) guide on the White, and have other friends that would be happy to guide you if I'm busy or booked. We do guide trips for all the big and smaller local resorts and trout docks on the White. Being a fellow arfcommer, I'll tell you that the resorts just hire us local guides, but now you just cut out that factor and you are straight in. If you need a guide trip, PM me. You'll love it.

If you are going resort, rather than local Motel I recommend this one:

http://www.norforkriverresort.com/
Google map Norfork Arkansas. It's where the Norfork River meets the white and it's trout heaven. The Norfork river is bassically the spillway water from the large Norfork Dam, water's cold all year and there it a trout hatchery at the head that is open to the public.

Link Posted: 6/27/2013 2:07:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies!

Here is the thread I made over in GD. It's actually got some good info in it.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1501247_Trout_Fishing_in_Arkansas.html

Thanks for the heads up!
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 3:56:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

They have held 2 USA record brown trout and one world record brown trout. IIRC
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 4:59:51 PM EDT
[#8]
If you have a Facebook acct look up Gaston's Resort and like their page.  They post info daily and the owner Jim Gaston is a great guy.
Link Posted: 6/30/2013 11:05:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Norfork, fly rod.
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 11:59:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I live right here in Mountain Home, AR near the White and just moved here last year from my other place which was overlooking the White River. I'm a (part time) guide on the White, and have other friends that would be happy to guide you if I'm busy or booked. We do guide trips for all the big and smaller local resorts and trout docks on the White. Being a fellow arfcommer, I'll tell you that the resorts just hire us local guides, but now you just cut out that factor and you are straight in. If you need a guide trip, PM me. You'll love it.

If you are going resort, rather than local Motel I recommend this one:

http://www.norforkriverresort.com/

Google map Norfork Arkansas. It's where the Norfork River meets the white and it's trout heaven. The Norfork river is bassically the spillway water from the large Norfork Dam, water's cold all year and there it a trout hatchery at the head that is open to the public.

PM Sent.

Get in touch!
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 7:56:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I am bringing this thread back from the dead, since I am currently working a stone throw away from the white river for the next couple of months.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 8:10:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

World record Brown was caught in AR!
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 3:57:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I am bringing this thread back from the dead, since I am currently working a stone throw away from the white river for the next couple of months.
View Quote

Lucky!

What part of the river are you near?  The White River is a pretty long stretch.  Trout waters start below Beaver dam in the NW then again at Taneycomo below Table Rock out of Branson, MO then below Bull Shoals and Norfork dams in AR and almost to Batesville, AR.  That's a lot of water to cover!  Fishing is different for the different locations.

I always liked fishing in the Calico Rock area.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:27:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Lucky!

What part of the river are you near?  The White River is a pretty long stretch.  Trout waters start below Beaver dam in the NW then again at Taneycomo below Table Rock out of Branson, MO then below Bull Shoals and Norfork dams in AR and almost to Batesville, AR.  That's a lot of water to cover!  Fishing is different for the different locations.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lucky!

Working around Guion.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:56:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Little red in heber springs. Just off the swingin bridge. Bring fly rod.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top