Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2013 6:20:19 PM EDT
What's your favorite rig for bass fishing in rivers?  Most of the time I use a jig head and Kalan, but I've also been successful with carolina rigs and some cranks.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 10:22:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Rapala xrap in baby bass.  Other than that I Texas rig mostly. Brush hogs, lizards, finesse worms, senkos and swim baits.
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 5:32:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Rapala original minnow, black jitterbugs, white spinnerbaits, Shadraps.
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 4:36:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Minnows, minnows, minnows.  

Kaylan's are awesome, especially the Red Head 2".
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 3:19:59 AM EDT
[#4]
jigs
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 3:57:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Gary Yamamoto 4" Senkos (watermelon with black and red flake) with 3/0 wide gap Gamakatsu hooks. Year round.
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 8:18:41 PM EDT
[#6]
In the rivers, especially tidal, I like a spinnerbait
Link Posted: 5/7/2013 1:50:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Gary Yamamoto 4" Senkos (watermelon with black and red flake) with 3/0 wide gap Gamakatsu hooks. Year round.

Yup that Watermelon Red is the shit but my favorite for these southern large mouths is a Zoom Trick worm in Junebug!!  Nails there but more times than not and I've spent 1000's on different colored plastics..........Early morning or late eve a chug bug or hula popper can get ya some too......
Link Posted: 5/16/2013 9:30:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I am going to try a rat-l-trap this weekend, but anchoivies have worked for me in the past with hybrid stripper bass.

Link Posted: 5/16/2013 10:48:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This, but save yourself some money and buy Yum Dingers instead of Senkos.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:04:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, but save yourself some money and buy Yum Dingers instead of Senkos.

I like those, but I found some I liked better at Academy, big bite baits or something like that.  Cheap and they hold up well.

ETA:  5" junebug senko is my go to down here.  Brown swimming jigs with a black trailer work great too.
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 4:13:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Another good one is a Watermelon Red Super Fluke with a lightly weighted wide gap worm hook.  I like the Arkie weighted jig hooks you can get them at Walmart.  Caught a citation smallie with this set up a couple weeks ago, along with several other fish between 12 and 17"
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 7:43:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup that Watermelon Red is the shit but my favorite for these southern large mouths is a Zoom Trick worm in Junebug!!  Nails there but more times than not and I've spent 1000's on different colored plastics..........Early morning or late eve a chug bug or hula popper can get ya some too......

Zoom Trick Junebug is my go to lure. I usually fish it weightless as well.
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 8:14:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Mepps spiner or rooster tail always works. I also love the chartreuse renegade jerk bait along with a lead jig head with a number of color tails.
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 5:36:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Lately, I've been fishing the heck out of a Smithwick's Devil Horse.   The large ones, with the torpedo shape.  I tweak the propellers so they spin freely at the slightest movement.  

Toss it in gently.  Reel in slowly for a couple feet, just fast enough to spin the blades, and stop..  Whomp!
Link Posted: 10/5/2013 4:55:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

We use Senkos out here in the California Delta. Color changes with the weather. Junebug and the blue ones.  Hula poppers early in the morning.  Bite is changing to crank baits, minnow patterns.  Stripers are also hitting the crank baits.
Link Posted: 10/8/2013 5:36:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Gary Yamamoto 4" 5"  Senkos (watermelon with black and red flake) with 3/0 4/0 wide gap Gamakatsu hooks. Year round.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:00:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Am I the only guy around here still fishing plastics?

Rubber worms in chartreuse or oil, with green metal flake FTW
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:04:20 AM EDT
[#18]
I really got turned onto plastics last year when I started fishing ponds for LM, 7 inch Berkley power worm in blue fleck color and 6 inch Zoom lizards in Junebug or black with blue tail color, mainly fished weightless and just slowly kinda popped back.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:56:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

How'd that work out for you last time?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:10:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know damn well how it worked out
Worked out the same this morning in the creek behind my neighborhood

Fish just aren't biting for me this weekend.
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 4:41:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Berkeley Power Grubs.

Creature bait Sweet Beavers.
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 5:53:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Rivers?  Split shot (light carolina rig) & Drop shot.
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 9:36:15 AM EDT
[#23]
river smallies = yellow rooster tail

sometimes Ill use a white or black... but yellow is the weapon of choice around here
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:36:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Around here on the Cleveland area rivers I use a green pumpkin senko weightless or with a slightly weighted wide gap hook, closer to the mouths I use a zoom super fluke in pearl and same hook set up as my go to rig.

Doesn't matter it seems that I always hook up at least one on a bad day.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:10:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Which ever one is catching fish!

This time of year I have two, a chatter bait for locating fish/covering an area fast and a finesse worm T-rigged. The Roboworm 6" in prism perch has been good to me this spring.  

I just ordered some swinging jig heads, in hopes to switch it up from a T-rig. I really like the versatility that the SJH had to offer without having to re tie my setup. It's a finesse worm, jig and swim bait all in one, just by changing out the plastics.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:47:09 AM EDT
[#26]
shiner minnows when the water is still cool, Texas rigged or wacky rigged senko worm or trick stick always works too.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 10:10:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Top water, tiny torpedo, or just a 4inch plastic worm texas rigged.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:33:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Top water, tiny torpedo, or just a 4inch plastic worm texas rigged.
View Quote

Tiny torpedo is the only top water I use!
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 10:48:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Rubber worm, spinner bait (below), or a deep diving crank bait (Repala)

From yesterday on the Willamette...lots of fish this size, bigger ones too occasionally.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 10:53:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Nice fish, I have been sidetracked by the local Largemouth in ponds the last couple years, still manage to chase stream smallies a bit just not as much as I used to.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 1:22:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Need more information. Season, water clarity, current speed, wind direction, weather conditions. Bass are very adaptable creatures.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:49:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Water clarity over 3' drop shot roboworms and shaky head Yamamoto cut tails.
Stained water for largemouth, flipping shoreline wood with a sweet beaver.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:32:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Swim Senkos watermelon with red and green flake
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 4:55:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Need more information. Season, water clarity, current speed, wind direction, weather conditions. Bass are very adaptable creatures.
View Quote

This. My lure choice changes with hundreds of variables. However, I've found that in almost any weather/season a zoom tab tail grub (color and size also depend on different variables) will get bit.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 1:26:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Soft plastics are still my go to in ponds, but on the James river here in Lynchburg VA my go to lures are finesse jigs, inline spinners and oddly enough...rebel pop-rs. I use the spinners to find the fish and then switch to the jigs after I've found them. The pop-r only works in really calm water but when it works damn does it work.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 2:17:38 PM EDT
[#36]
I like the 5" Swim Senkos using a junebug, green with red and green flakes, or some crankbaits and rat-l-traps.

Sometimes I'll throw a spook or do some drop shotting if the bottom is rocky.  Usually it is a Swim Senko Texas rigged, sometimes Carolina rigged.

-Founding member of the UAB fishing team
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 3:17:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Jigs with a number of different colors of bodies. This also works for walleyes.

I have cheap ass jerk baits from walmart that I picked up a few years ago that are fantastic in chartreuse. Ive tried to find more of them , but they only carried them for one year.

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 8:48:20 PM EDT
[#38]
In the clear mountain rivers at home we use Mepps spinners (#2 size - nickel blade with gray squirrel hair seem better than the brass blade versions).  If it low light (early morning, late evening or cloudy about to rain a Heddon tiny torpedo in bullfrog color works pretty well.

Lizards (salamanders) caught in the creeks around the river work real well, too.  Hook the lizard just a little behind the rear legs.  You don't want to break its back/hips/legs but you don't want to hook it too far down the tail or you can loose it if the tail breaks off.

You can catch bass on other lures but you'll catch more on the mepps spinners and tiny torpedoes.

We only fish when the water is clear enough to see the bottom.  6 or 8 lb. test line usually.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 2:06:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Yum Dingers, Senkos, Rapala DT 6 and Live Target Crafish patterned cranbaits, Buzzbait, Whopper Plopper, and Green/red popping bugs on the fly rod. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top