Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2013 7:56:48 PM EDT
So, it has been YEARS since I have fished, and I don't think I ever really had to spool my own reel. I finally got back into it, and was spooling my own spinning reel, and I know I didn't get the line spooled the same way it came off the spool, but I just kept going anyway. I know when I cast, it will not be pretty.

I researched that many people will let the entire reels line go off the back of there boat at trolling speed, then reel it back in. I do not have access to this, but was wondering if I let all my line out in a big field, then walk it out and reel it in would accomplish the same thing?
Link Posted: 4/2/2013 9:21:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Hook the line to a fence, walk it out, then reel it back up under tension.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:35:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Some outdoor stores will have a setup where you can do this, but you may have to buy their line or whatever.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:27:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I have my line put on at the local Gander, they used to carry bulk line to run on there, now you have to buy it off the shelf and they will do it, with that said I still have issues with loops coming off the spool every once in a while.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 1:57:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Tying the line to a object and walking it off defeats the purpose of what your doing (tying it to something)

Walk off your line in a open field drop it when you reach the end.  Spool it back on under tension.

The idea is to get the twist out of the line. If its tied off it cant.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 9:48:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tying the line to a object and walking it off defeats the purpose of what your doing (tying it to something)

Walk off your line in a open field drop it when you reach the end.  Spool it back on under tension.

The idea is to get the twist out of the line. If its tied off it cant.
View Quote

This

A spray down with some Reel Magic wouldn't hurt either. I use it on all my line fresh or not, comes in a small areosal can and can be found at walmart.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 1:25:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Pro Tip: Spool up with 10lb braid and attach a 15' leader of 6lb flourocarbon. No line twist ever. Even with drop shots. You are welcome.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top