Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/29/2017 11:49:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Flatland]
Picked this Brittany up Sunday.  Currently trying not to wring his neck and feed to coyotes.

His name is Gordo, guess which one?

Attachment Attached File

He's retrieving day two.  Yesterday I drug a duck wing 10 yards and hid it in a cedar.  Took him under 5 minutes to find it.  He's going to be a hell of a gundog if I don't kill him first.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 4:44:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Why would you want to kill your dog?
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 2:03:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Very nice!  Puppies can be a handful
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 9:09:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By joker1:
Why would you want to kill your dog?
View Quote
I haven't been without a dog for 23 years and usually have 2 in the house.  This is the first dog I've ever bought.

Do you think I was being literal?  I was simply expressing some frustration.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 9:10:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By VTDuckGuy:
Very nice!  Puppies can be a handful
View Quote
Indeed, I haven't been this tired since my daughter was a baby.

I look forward to updating with training and hunting pictures.

Really enjoyed your thread and part of the reason I bought Gordo.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 3:52:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Flatland:

I haven't been without a dog for 23 years and usually have 2 in the house.  This is the first dog I've ever bought.

Do you think I was being literal?  I was simply expressing some frustration.
View Quote
And I was asking about that. I have 30 years of experience training bird dogs (although flushers). Thought I could help.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 9:55:13 PM EDT
[#6]

And I was asking about that. I have 30 years of experience training bird dogs (although flushers). Thought I could help.
View Quote
In that case I apologize if I came off as curt.  And I appreciate your offer.

Unfortunatley it just a case of having a whiny new pup that I'm currently house breaking / crate training.  I'm not getting much sleep so that he is successful and he misses momma
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 3:58:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Bring him by Ky for a couple months!
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 11:46:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Flatland] [#8]
Bring him by Ky for a couple months!
View Quote
I'm decent at training house dogs.  Currently re-reading Gundog by Wolters.  He's doing fairly well with the basics atm except heal and have not started whoa.  But he is 9 weeks and I'm trying not to introduce too much at once.

I want to do it myself instead of send him off to a trainer.  ETA - I get REALLY attached to my animals and don't want him gone.

Would you consider, if I came up, working with me and the dog over a long weekend?  Of course I'd be willing to discuss comp.   You're up by Cinci right?

How's your health at the moment?  Hope you're well.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 4:17:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ReaperWaterfowl] [#9]
My Brittany is smart... too smart. But is indeed working her way to be an excellent upland dog

I'm training her myself too, first time. All I can say is patience...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 5:42:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Flatland] [#10]
Originally Posted By ReaperWaterfowl:
My Brittany is smart... too smart. But is indeed working her way to be an excellent upland dog

I'm training her myself too, first time. All I can say is patience...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/330617/IMG-20160918-195928379-180866.JPG
View Quote
Beautiful dog.  ETA Age?

Today is day 9 together.  He is doing SO much better.  He's getting the routine down and is picking up on the basics really well.  He is sharp as a razor, at times.  My wife said last night that "he'll be the best dog we ever had."

I'm already incredibly attached to him.

Do you plan on duck hunting with yours?  Am I foolish to expect mine to be a do all dog?  By that I mean for dove, duck, quail and maybe pheasant.  Being in the south I'm not too worried about the cold with his duck hunting.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 8:57:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ReaperWaterfowl] [#11]
She's 10 mo old. Roughly 27-30 lbs. Fastest dog I've ever seen.

I only plan on using her for upland. Ducks can get brutally cold up here, and my buddy brings his Chesapeake bay retriever. We don't shoot enough of them for 2 dogs

Edit: I don't think you're foolish to try to get a "do all" dog. They're supposed to be a great breed for that. Mallards might be tough, she still has minor problems fitting fat pen raised pheasant in her mouth

Edit2: Im a sucker for the gingers. Your pup looks like a stud
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 11:35:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Appreciate the reply.  Forgive the potato pics.

One of yesterday's walks, birds out of frame.  Thought he was holding on them but nope, it was a butterfly in the grass about 5 feet in front of him.  He is butterfly crazy and it's quite fun to watch.

Amazing how fast he's growing, he may be a big boy.

Link Posted: 4/10/2017 10:12:27 AM EDT
[#13]
The points will come, it seems it came to mine over night. Complete natural ability. Let her out in the morning one day and she stops and pulls a point of a tweety bird on the fence. The rest is history
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 11:38:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Flatland] [#14]
The points will come, it seems it came to mine over night. Complete natural ability. Let her out in the morning one day and she stops and pulls a point of a tweety bird on the fence. The rest is history
View Quote
Had him unleashed yesterday on his second walk.  He takes off for the nearby h.s. ag barn.  Figured he was going to the all you can eat buffet of lamb / pig crap as he already developed a taste for cow shit at our land.

Nope, 2 dove that I couldn't see swirl up and rest on the pipe of the corral fence, he froze, and threw a quite stylish point.  Wish I would have had my camera.  He has incredible eyes.

Training wise this guy is wicked smart.  He already has sit, stay, stop (whoa), crate and of course no down.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:17:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Enjoy it, they are a ton of fun. I cant wait for pheasants again late this year, I suspect I'll be happier than a pig in shit with the results.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 11:42:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Gordo as of today.

Retrieving well when alone.  He likes to taunt the old bitch if she's around instead of retrieving.  Responding to combination of basic whistle and verbal commands in the field; stop (should be whoa), come and go at finger point.  I love this little fucker.

Fetching like a good boy.  1.5 mile walk at lunch today, 45 minute walk at lake this evening, 15 minutes playing duck wing on a string, 20-30 minutes playing fetch and the little guy was still bouncing of the walls until 9pm when he abruptly shut down.
Attachment Attached File

Handsome devil, sitting on command waiting on his "bird."
Attachment Attached File

Poor guy had to put up with some excessive backyard time last weekend.  Spent all day Saturday and a good portion of Sunday discing 5 acres, spreading and dragging 5 acres.   300lbs of sunflower and 150lbs of milo spread.  All I need is a little rain.  Was going to fertilize it this weekend but hopefully will be working instead.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 11:44:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Cranky old bitch that is a huge impediment to Gordo's training.  I'll love her to death anyway.  Planning on another Brit when she passes, Gordo will miss her as they've gotten tight.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 2:20:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Gordo looks great, endless energy. I try to get 1-2 miles with my Brit everyday after work. Doesn't phase her one bit, and that's 1-2 miles for me. Got to be close to 5-10 for her
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 5:07:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Reaper, post an updated photo when you have time please.  Would like to see how she's maturing.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:53:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Proud papa.

Link Posted: 5/17/2017 12:34:09 AM EDT
[#21]
My Britt, love her like one of my children, and Ginger loves to hunt.

Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:22:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Flatland] [#22]
Originally Posted By DudeRN:
My Britt, love her like one of my children, and Ginger loves to hunt.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj222/tqmoose/pretty%20girl_zpsdls2r9dw.jpg
View Quote
Nice, beautiful girl, how old? Any tips for a first timer?
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 1:40:57 PM EDT
[#23]
She's going to be 4 in August.  I had never had a gundog before, so no training experience other than general dog training.

I found it was easier to try to conform the dog's natural instinct to hunt to your training, rather than the other way around.  I did wing training and dummy training with her, but more than anything I spent lots of time with her and lots of time in the woods with her, letting her use her nose and getting her to stay with me, come when I called or whistled to her.  

Her first fall, as a pup, I took her along and had her follow another dog on a few hunts which I think helped a lot.  Then the next fall, I looked at hunting as a continuation of training, but she caught on right away.

She's not going to win any prizes, but she loves to hunt, is not gun shy at all, and is great on the point.  She's less good on the retrieve, mostly happy to go find the bird and pin it down if it is still moving or pick it up and hold it for me.  That I don't really care about, because I'm usually only a few feet behind her when we go to the bird anyways, pointing is the hard part.

I would say that first and foremost, build a strong bond with the dog.  Everything else follows from that.  Good luck, nice looking pup!!
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 2:16:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By DudeRN:
She's going to be 4 in August.  I had never had a gundog before, so no training experience other than general dog training.

I found it was easier to try to conform the dog's natural instinct to hunt to your training, rather than the other way around.  I did wing training and dummy training with her, but more than anything I spent lots of time with her and lots of time in the woods with her, letting her use her nose and getting her to stay with me, come when I called or whistled to her.  

Her first fall, as a pup, I took her along and had her follow another dog on a few hunts which I think helped a lot.  Then the next fall, I looked at hunting as a continuation of training, but she caught on right away.

She's not going to win any prizes, but she loves to hunt, is not gun shy at all, and is great on the point.  She's less good on the retrieve, mostly happy to go find the bird and pin it down if it is still moving or pick it up and hold it for me.  That I don't really care about, because I'm usually only a few feet behind her when we go to the bird anyways, pointing is the hard part.

I would say that first and foremost, build a strong bond with the dog.  Everything else follows from that.  Good luck, nice looking pup!!
View Quote
That's awesome all the way around, appreciate your response.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:38:23 AM EDT
[#25]
She'll be 1 yr old in a little less than a month now. I'll have to get a few pictures on one of her our walks, my tiny backyard does her no justice. She's up to about 35 lbs, no matter how much I feed her she still looks like skin and bone. Still goes a billion mph. I still need to work on the gun stuff, she's not afraid, but a little nervous with a 12 ga. I shoot off 22 blanks no problem, I think I need to borrow my old man's 20ga to help with the transition.

Link Posted: 5/18/2017 8:21:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Flatland] [#26]
She'll be 1 yr old in a little less than a month now. I'll have to get a few pictures on one of her our walks, my tiny backyard does her no justice. She's up to about 35 lbs, no matter how much I feed her she still looks like skin and bone. Still goes a billion mph. I still need to work on the gun stuff, she's not afraid, but a little nervous with a 12 ga. I shoot off 22 blanks no problem, I think I need to borrow my old man's 20ga to help with the transition.

http://i63.tinypic.com/11si0ia.jpg
View Quote
I'm in love, she's beautiful.  In all seriousness, if you would want to discuss possible breeding next winter or the winter after PM me.  It'd for Gordo to have a partner, no future breeding.  Thinking about cutting him otherwise.

May have a land deal brewing this year in Kansas which isn't too from IL for hunting.  Say a prayer, take a shot, keep your fingers crossed, hoping I can pull it together.

Dropped 250 lbs/ acre of 24/6/12/7s on the sunflower and milo planted weekend before last.  Rain on the way!

Of course my bud was there to supervise and chase barn swallows.

Attachment Attached File

ETA - All of y'all are welcome to come dove hunt in North Texas at my place if the flowers come in nicely.  You come from NH or IL I'll put you up in the lake lodge down the road myself
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 5:05:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Very generous and I will keep it in mind! When is dove season for you guys? I'm stuck with public land here where it's all pen raised birds, but if you do ever find yourself out this way, I can put something together.

Annie is unfortunately already fixed. I wish I didnt, because the thought of a half dozen or more of mini Annies would be awesome. But at the same time, I just dont have the time.

BUT, on the other hand, the Mrs Reaper keeps bugging me about another pup, so I'll keep you updated with that
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 3:54:43 PM EDT
[#28]
First dove is 9-1 to 11-13, september is usually pretty good.

FYI, my vet thinks Gordo's body shape is perfect for his age. Annie looks to be the same but with more muscle in the shoulder.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:47:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Big day today.  Started with sound.  After working on basics (getting some energy out of him) started on the sound process.

Tools - cap gun, bumper with duck wing (need to get some dove and quail but hate having to pay), ruger 22, cheap alpo dog treats, Deep Ellum Easy Peasy IPA ( nice warm weather IPA).

Did 3 fetch with cap gun, not so much as a flinch.  Did three more sets of three with cap gun.  Paused between sets to try to keep his interest up.   Then went to 22lr.
Attachment Attached File

First retrieve with a 22lr!  He didn't flinch!!!!!!  Proud, proud, proud.  Did several more with double shots, not a flinch.

I'm finding that MY biggest flaw is stopping before he loses interest.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:01:05 AM EDT
[#30]
very nice.  thank you for your generous offer, too.

I didn't worry too much about getting my girl to be "gunbroke", she would probably still be pretty startled today by gunfire.  But in the field, when we're hunting, she's all about getting that bird so the shot doesn't faze her at all.

If you have ever had the experience of barely registering the shot yourself because of the adrenaline, you know what it's like for the dog.

Good luck!  Keep the thread going!
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:55:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Still no signs of seedlings as of yesterday.

Tried the 410 yesterday, he did well.  Got the 410 for my 8th birthday and promply allowed to create chaos with squirrels in our pecan trees.  

35 year old 410, honestly probably my favorite gun in the safe.

Link Posted: 5/31/2017 9:03:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ReaperWaterfowl] [#32]
Couple action shot from a week ago or so. I cant wait to see some people's faces when she actually catches one of the tweety birds

Her overlooking her domain
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 2:59:53 PM EDT
[#33]
God bless, she's beautiful with a stylish point.  Not to beat a dead horse but I would have driven to IL to get first female out of her and Gordo.  Guess I like the gingers too.

Trying cram 6 days of work into this 4 day work week.  Got a couple of good pictures and a story from last Sunday.  Will try to post this weekend.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 9:11:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Last Sunday....

Sunflowers popping up.

Eggs? What's going on here?

Gordo wouldn't respond to whistle.  Wait what is he on?  A dove, with a bite out of its wing and tail.  Poor bird was still alive.
Proud that he found it.

Starting to warm up and some of the spring colors are fading.

Link Posted: 6/5/2017 1:32:57 PM EDT
[#35]
I'll have to check if any of her sisters are spayed or not. She had 5 or 6 of them and I see the breeder once every couple weeks.

I'm partial to the gingers too

Gordo is looking like a natural! I lucked out big time that Annie isn't very mouthy with bird. She'll pick them up and carry them all day, but has yet to take a bite out of one. Look in to possibly force fetching if it becomes a habit for him, I know it helped a buddy's dog a bit.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 4:46:21 PM EDT
[#36]
I'll have to check if any of her sisters are spayed or not. She had 5 or 6 of them and I see the breeder once every couple weeks.

I'm partial to the gingers too

Gordo is looking like a natural! I lucked out big time that Annie isn't very mouthy with bird. She'll pick them up and carry them all day, but has yet to take a bite out of one. Look in to possibly force fetching if it becomes a habit for him, I know it helped a buddy's dog a bit.
View Quote
I don't think Gordo bit the bird, he pinned it down.  I think the momma dove was defending her nest from either a coon or coyote and ended up with a chewed rear and bite out of wing.  Otherwise, she would have just flown away from Gordo.  

He, from what I saw, was pretty gentle with the bird.

Let me know on the other deal, appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 10:23:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Good looking dog, congrats.  It's really something when they hit that point.   Here is mine, he is a vizsla, around 10.5 months now.  Going for his FDJ title this weekend.  Trained him myself, that is to say, let him develop and show me what he's got, as he is a natural.  Good luck with yours
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 11:05:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Prle:
Good looking dog, congrats.  It's really something when they hit that point.   Here is mine, he is a vizsla, around 10.5 months now.  Going for his FDJ title this weekend.  Trained him myself, that is to say, let him develop and show me what he's got, as he is a natural.  Good luck with yours
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/458755/20170323-182803-0--1-224836.JPG
View Quote
His shoulders are ripped, good looking dog.

Good luck at trial this weekend!
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 11:44:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Currently winding down a crazy two weeks of work.  Self employeed so its good and bad, but a blessing in the end.

Got out yesterday for some work at the land.  Gordo got his first blind retrieve tonight, with commands of course.

Gordo waits for me to get the gate open.

Got some good rain, plants are coming in but looks like something is eating them.

Nice North Texas sunset, picture does the colors no justice.

Link Posted: 6/7/2017 3:53:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 1:15:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ReaperWaterfowl] [#41]
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/458755/20170323-182803-0--1-224836.JPG
View Quote
Vizslas are awesome bird dogs. I hunted over them since I was 10. My childhood Vizsla hunted 14 years and lived 16. Best damn dog I ever hunted over. If Annie becomes half the dog the Vizsla was, I will be giddy as a pig in shit.

Attachment Attached File

Edit: She was about 10-11 years old here if I was to guess
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 11:28:19 AM EDT
[#42]

Vizslas are awesome bird dogs. I hunted over them since I was 10. My childhood Vizsla hunted 14 years and lived 16. Best damn dog I ever hunted over. If Annie becomes half the dog the Vizsla was, I will be giddy as a pig in shit.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/330617/phone-071-225897.JPG
Edit: She was about 10-11 years old here if I was to guess
View Quote
That's awesome, unfortunately I didn't research them.  Will look into them for a second dog.

@Prle - how did the trial go, nosey mind of mine wants to hear the story.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 11:36:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Flatland:

That's awesome, unfortunately I didn't research them.  Will look into them for a second dog.

@Prle - how did the trial go, nosey mind of mine wants to hear the story.
View Quote
We are still waiting for our turn.  Running 19th out of 25 dogs or so.  I expect it to be around 3 or 4 eastern time before its our turn.   I am hoping he does good,  first test he scored 94 out of a 100.  For a 10 month old dog on a windy day it was pretty good.  He found an extra bird that a dog before him missed, so got 3 instead of 2.  I was very windy and gusty that day.  Today is just hot.

And yes, vizlas are great.  Again, just got to make sure you get it from a good breeder.  I will post how he did today later this evening when we are done.

Regards
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 11:50:24 AM EDT
[#44]

We are still waiting for our turn.  Running 19th out of 25 dogs or so.  I expect it to be around 3 or 4 eastern time before its our turn.   I am hoping he does good,  first test he scored 94 out of a 100.  For a 10 month old dog on a windy day it was pretty good.  He found an extra bird that a dog before him missed, so got 3 instead of 2.  I was very windy and gusty that day.  Today is just hot.

And yes, vizlas are great.  Again, just got to make sure you get it from a good breeder.  I will post how he did today later this evening when we are done.

Regards
View Quote
Thanks, good luck.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 5:18:50 PM EDT
[#45]
He passed.  One more tomorrow and he gets the title.  Had some issues today so only scored a 90.  It was hot today let me tell you.  The second bird he pointed at once i flushed it and fired the gun, he ran after it about 15 yrds leaped and grabed it out of mid air.  The bird lost one feather, barely closed his lips around her.  I gave it to the judge and he put it in his west.  Good day overall.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 3:31:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Passed today as well.  He is getting his FDJ title at 11 months and 1 day today.  Some really good looking dogs out yesterday and today.  
Very hot again and windy.  At 92 today he was holding the high score for the day but there were a couple really good dogs running after him so it will not hold.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 2:12:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Passed today as well.  He is getting his FDJ title at 11 months and 1 day today.  Some really good looking dogs out yesterday and today.  
Very hot again and windy.  At 92 today he was holding the high score for the day but there were a couple really good dogs running after him so it will not hold.  
View Quote
Congrats on both, he is a fine looking specimen.

Appreciate the story and update.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 4:00:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks.  Love dogs, hope this thread keeps going.  Here is Buddy taking over my son's car seat when he is not there.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 5:38:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Thanks.  Love dogs, hope this thread keeps going.  Here is Buddy taking over my son's car seat when he is not there.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/458755/IMG-5085-229164.JPG
View Quote
Hilarious, mine does the same.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 10:33:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Flatland] [#50]
Redemtion, better colors last night.  He's doing well on his retrieves.

Quick stupid story.  Wife's a reformed bleeding heart but still can't say no to a starving animal, hence we have a new cat.  Cat - Snappy, named by my 6 y/o, and Gordo like to play cat and mouse.  Snappy actually plays the mouse.

So Snappy was under our kitchen table and Gordo got himself stuck in one of the heavy wooden chairs chasing Snappy.  He freaks out yelping like he's dying (he's a drama queen), I pull him out of chair and the room now smells awful.
Smell my hand and smells like old people crap.  I'm sure DudeRN know what I'm talking about.

Then wife finds some brownish liquid on the floor.  I think he freaked out and popped his anal glands or shart on the floor.  Hopefully this breaks him of chasing the cat.

Snappy the taunter and chair.

ETA at 015 I take him out to piss, he went balistic barking at the chair that f'd him up, was crying laughing.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top