Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2017 12:51:50 PM EDT
What are you seeing for prices on pups for dogs with good lines?

We ordered a pup from a breeder who we got our last pup from.  Price almost double what we paid 6 years ago.  

There are not a lot of breeders around here for the specific breed, so I'd rather not comment on that, but it is a pointing breed.

Breeder is a good breeder, hips certified from both parents, they have a good diverse breeding program.  Several of their dogs are doing well in NAVHDA events and they encourage participation in them.  They requested our pup participate in the NA tests this coming fall, which I agreed too.  

They are most definitely not backyard breeders with a loose breeding program.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:17:05 PM EDT
[#1]
From my research into a new puppy for myself recently, Legit established breeders are pulling $1,800 minimum for good working or show line dogs.

Up to 3k wouldn't surprise me depending on the lines. I'd balk after that and look elsewhere. Why what'd you drop?
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:17:54 PM EDT
[#2]
2,500-3,000
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 5:51:54 PM EDT
[#3]
$1,800

Apparently not out of line.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 2:36:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By johnh57:
$1,800

Apparently not out of line.
View Quote

I paid 1500 for my lab.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 5:27:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Sylvan:

I paid 1500 for my lab.
View Quote
1200 for mine, but that was 6 years ago.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 5:53:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bulletproof210] [#6]
I made the mistake of falling for the "Silver Lab" three years ago.  Paid $1,500 for a pup from what I thought was a reputable duck dog breeder.  Turns out the silver was a terrible idea.  Have over $4k in professional training in the guy and he retrieves about 40% of my birds for me.  Will be doing much more research into the next pup.

As a side note...if anyone wants a 2.5yr old Silver male, CC, FF, takes hand and whistle commands when he wants to, has a great nose when he uses it, and can be aggressive AF if you wake him up from a nap, hes available!

ETA: he doesnt like taking pictures either.

after a duck hunt
Attachment Attached File

after last weeks pheasant hunt
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 6:00:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By bulletproof210:
I made the mistake of falling for the "Silver Lab" three years ago.  Paid $1,500 for a pup from what I thought was a reputable duck dog breeder.  Turns out the silver was a terrible idea.  Have over $4k in professional training in the guy and he retrieves about 40% of my birds for me.  Will be doing much more research into the next pup.

As a side note...if anyone wants a 2.5yr old Silver male, CC, FF, takes hand and whistle commands when he wants to, has a great nose when he uses it, and can be aggressive AF if you wake him up from a nap, hes available!
View Quote

This one will be silver - but there is no lab involved  
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 6:04:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By johnh57:

This one will be silver - but there is no lab involved  
View Quote

Smart.  In my defense, it was my first dog purchase.  Naive to say the least.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 6:18:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Toddrick] [#9]
Originally Posted By bulletproof210:

ETA: he doesnt like taking pictures either.

after a duck hunt
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/302044/2015-12-02-16-137506.JPG

after last weeks pheasant hunt
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/302044/2017-01-27-15-137503.JPG
View Quote

Uh yea, because there is no such thing as a Silver Lab. That is probably a Weimaraner mix, and Weimies are not  very obedient.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 6:22:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I paid 2500 for my golden and he got to keep his balls
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 8:37:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Thats not a lab.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 5:43:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Sylvan:
Thats not a lab.
View Quote
Second time I have quoted Sylvan in this thread.  That is not a pure lab.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:48:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Grackle_killer] [#13]
I paid 700$ for my Jack Russell from a reputable breeder. Her father has sired international champions. Lady has been breeding and showing them forever and uses them to hunt although only doing earth work. I use mine on birds up until a couple weeks ago when I took her on a rabbit hunt. She let us know there was a wounded one under some rocks and retrieved another that I shot. Hunting party was impressed. Been working her on sheds. Will see how she does this year.

Edit to add that breeder did all the hereditary testing on the parents as well.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 11:56:53 AM EDT
[#14]
My GSP was $1300, comes from a champion bloodline.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 9:53:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 10:14:26 AM EDT
[#16]
lab or not, thats an adorable pup.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 4:15:23 PM EDT
[#17]
That's a Weimaraner, isn't it?
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 5:24:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By ReaperWaterfowl:
That's a Weimaraner, isn't it?
View Quote
Yes.  Kennel specializes in hunting weims.  She has good lines.  

She will probably a better hunter than I am a trainer.  She's 11 wks today - loves playing ball, shows signs of pointing, sleeps all nite in her crate.

By pure happenstance, looking at her pedigree I discovered our first weim (that we got in the mid 80's in So. Cal.) was a littermate of this little girls great x 3 grandma.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 8:53:57 AM EDT
[#19]
That's awesome. Talk about driven... my brother just got a weim pup that is 5 mo old now. As big as my Brittany, and watching them clear tweety birds from the back yard or forest preserve is awesome. Next season they should be a dynamic duo
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 7:26:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I got a started Pointer from these folks back in 2001; she was as-advertised, and a wonderful hunter and companion for 13 years. I paid $1500.
they have GSPs, Pointers, and Setters, an young, started dogs to fully broke gundogs.

Daniels Birddogs
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 2:28:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Gave 1500 for my Chessie.  Had a great line but couldn't keep his balls.  Hes 1yr old next week so hopefully we can get some ducks in his mouth this year
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:19:58 PM EDT
[#22]
I've been looking for another Springer (we just bought one un-papered for my wife as a family pet and for her to run agility with) that I can hunt with. I've looking at $1800, but Springers don't seem to be readily available in the South West.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:39:21 PM EDT
[#23]
1500 for my English Pointer 5 years ago
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 2:19:43 PM EDT
[#24]
For the past 15 years we've been breeding American labs, AKC registered, great blood lines, OFA certified and with a 24 month guarantee.  Line is yellow / fox red  and most litters have 40% fox red yellows.  Females usually are 45-65lbs, males 65-90lbs.  $1,800.
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 3:27:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Going to depend on the dog breed and program.

GSP from an established hunting/trial line $900-$2000.

Interestingly enough you can get a field trial washout that's a hell of a hunting dog that's damn near finished for $2-3k from many of these same kennels.

Best grouse dog I've ever hunted behind was a trial washout.  Don't be afraid of field trial washouts if you're buying a dog for hunting.  Many trial dogs are sub par wild bird hunters.  Just get some video and watch the dog hunt before buying any started or finished dog.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 9:18:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By beardog30:
Going to depend on the dog breed and program.

GSP from an established hunting/trial line $900-$2000.

Interestingly enough you can get a field trial washout that's a hell of a hunting dog that's damn near finished for $2-3k from many of these same kennels.

Best grouse dog I've ever hunted behind was a trial washout.  Don't be afraid of field trial washouts if you're buying a dog for hunting.  Many trial dogs are sub par wild bird hunters.  Just get some video and watch the dog hunt before buying any started or finished dog.
View Quote
Great post and spot on.  I've hunted with big name field trial guys and "famous" dogs.  Hunting wild birds is not the same as running a trial.  My brittany and my friends wirehair were far superior to one of the more accomplished trial dogs out there. It wasn't close.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 3:31:51 AM EDT
[#27]
I've paid as little as $400 and more than $7000 for a finished dog.  Best dog I've ever owned was $750.
Link Posted: 10/23/2019 4:33:33 PM EDT
[#28]
1500 to 10k is what I have seen.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 8:43:40 AM EDT
[#29]
I paid 1K for my first GSP and because I wait listed for over a year on particular breeding I was quoted and paid 750 bucks a year early for my second.  I was very fortunate as my pup was the only one to live from the birthing and the breeder wanted to keep her for breeding.  My daughter (and whole family) went to see the pup at 5 weeks where the breeder was going to tell me he was going to keep her and I'd have pick of next litter, but the breeders wife said to her husband (The breeder -(after my daughter got to play with the puppy) "You break that little girls heart I'm going to kill you."

As a lone pup she had some difficulty socializing with other dogs - noting aggressive she just didn't know how to react and was always happy to see other dogs but misread clues that the other dog was getting fed up and didn't want to play anymore kind of thing.  Good Lord could she hunt though.

Sadly, I lost both of my GSP's to cancer at 7 years old for both of them - and don't think my next will be from the same breeder/line.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 3:15:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sitdwnandhngon] [#30]
I just paid 1k for a GWP with papers.

I paid $100 for my black lab at a gas station, no papers, but his parents had them.

Good labs from a few breeeders around here are between $800-$1000
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top