Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2016 4:02:44 AM EDT
We have a 65 pound German Shepherd /Akita mix who is an absolutely wonderful dog except that she will run if given the opportunity. she takes a foot,a foot leads to 3 feet and next thing you know she's off.  Once she takes off it is a big game of Chase and there is no way you're going to catch her and within about 20 minutes she returns back to the house. We are concerned that either she will get hurt and or possibly lost or could accidentally hurt somebody who was trying to stop her. We are entertaining the idea of using a  A shock collar to see if we can curb or control her running away. I would greatly appreciate any insight that you could give on this  topic the dog has a great spirit and she's a lovely pet, this is her only flaw, but she loves to break out of the house and bolt through the neighborhood at full speed. Just hope my brothers and sisters here on the board could help me out thank you very much...
Mgunslinger
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:01:43 AM EDT
[#1]
In before the shock haters.

It is often an effective way to control a dag but the collar should be able to adjust the shock on a linear basis like with a dial, not just low medium and high.  It should also have a buzzer as a warning that the dag will learn what is coming next if the behavior keeps up.

One of the methods the police trainers in my area use is to put the dag on a 50-70 foot secured line and let it do what it wants.  In this case, run away.  Start calling the dag back as soon as it bolts using loud and clear commands.  At the end of the rope, the dag will get the message.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:23:43 AM EDT
[#2]

This pup was professionally trained with a shock collar and she is a dream dog.

Make sure you read up on the proper use and good luck.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:45:26 AM EDT
[#3]
My friend has a lab who liked to run off.
He put a collar on him and it was set on the max setting...

No it isn't me.

The dog sprinted and got a jolt.
He did a back flip, and never ran off after that.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:09:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Diligent training can break most dogs without a collar...but there are some that need it.

Even with the collar, there is some work involved, but they are humane and valuable tools.

With field dogs, they associate the collar with fun (hunting) and I have seen dogs that will run to you and jump up for the collar.

As said earlier, buy a collar with adjustable power.  Better yet, buy a collar that has both a beeper and a zapper.  Most dogs will learn very quickly and  soon respond to the beep just as well as the shock.  There is some very good short range stuff (100 yards or so) collars out there for around $100.

The biggest question is really "Do you need to use a dummy collar?"

The guys I hunt with do not.   As mentioned above, their dogs associate the collar being put on with fun...and these are already very well trained dogs to begin with.
If you are looking to modify normal, day to day behavior, you want the dog to learn to mind before you stimulate him/her, n other words, you want them to mind without the collar.  Some willful dogs will rapidly figure out that they do not have to mind when the collar is not one.  In these cases, you have the dog wear a collar with a dummy electronics box all the time.  Other dogs just want to please, and the collar is a tool to help them learn how...they quickly figure out what you want them to do and you may never need the collar again.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 3:24:13 AM EDT
[#5]
One day there may be a situation that the use of a shock collar can save the dogs life, Ive been there.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 5:29:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Drsalee:
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd145/drsalee/hexi.jpg

This pup was professionally trained with a shock collar and she is a dream dog.

Make sure you read up on the proper use and good luck.
View Quote

Exactly what the Doc said, she was collar conditioned/trained by a pro trainer and is a dream dog.  There is so much more to it than putting on the collar and mashing buttons......it is a great training tool used in the correct manner and can ruin a dog if used the wrong way.

And as one of the other poster said, it has saved her life on at least 1 occasion.

Link Posted: 5/14/2016 7:43:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: steve8140] [#7]
Look into sport dog brand, I got the model 425 and love it. It comes with collar, handheld remote and dvd and a book to learn but it's great to teach the dog on multiple methods. It will beep only, vibrate like a cell phone or shock on multiple levels. I use mine around the yard but also in the woods while hiking. Even used it at a few cookouts. He knows if the collar is on it's time to work and behave.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 12:13:48 AM EDT
[#8]
An 8 or 20 foot long line is a lot cheaper and might do the trick. I was training my dog to be off leash on a local trail, along came a runner. The dog took off at the same time I 'corrected' him which caused him to spin out and do a 180. He looked like he was thinking what the hell just happened. I felt bad for a second, but that was long ago and he hasn't take off running towards anyone since.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 1:07:57 AM EDT
[#9]
We have a pets are wireless fence.  They do well, but dogs know that if it doesn't beep the batteries are dead and they are free to roam.  Keep extra batteries.

We are going to get a training collar soon.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 5:40:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I know this thread is old, but an ecollar is not a magic tool. The proper use of one involves enforcing a taught command. If the dog does not know "here", stimulating it until it randomly runs back to you is abusive. If the dog does know "here" and is willfully disobeying, you can correct with the ecollar. I would get a long line and teach the here command before using an ecollar.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 6:00:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MonkeyGrip] [#11]
I don't think the "invisible fence" (buried wire) will work.  Your dog is too big and already "trained" at running out of the yard, and will just shrug the shock off as it runs over the wire.  

I had a system and it worked, but only because I had smaller dogs and they got trained to fear the shock at a young age.

Link Posted: 11/2/2016 6:44:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been using the wireless perimeter collars for years. When they are 4 months old, I lead them to the highway and let them walk out toward it until they get a warning, then a shock a couple of times.  I then drag them toward the highway against their will, while they are getting shocked.  I do this at several points.  I walk them around the perimeter and let them hear the warning beep, they usually run backwards towards the house.

I haven't lost a dog to the highway in 6 years now since I've started using them.  I also use a professional vibration/shock collar for obedience, but rarely.

The road training method seems cruel, but the dogs are unharmed and it keeps them from being maimed or killed.  I lost one of my best Catahoula hog dogs to the highway years ago after he dug out. He was a Houdini and hard to contain and at the time I didn't have the money for professional kennels like I do now.

Link Posted: 11/2/2016 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#13]
After training my dog with a collar, all I have to do is show him the remote and he obeys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top