Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2016 10:55:32 PM EDT
I've been considering buying a English springer and was told by a breeder that they wouldn't sell me a pup since i have young children.  Their rational was that if I wanted to train the puppy to be useful in the field I need to wait for my youngest to be older.  Breeder said that the possibility of correcting the dog vs. child would confuse the dog.  Ex. The dog would grab toys, clothes, etc and young child wouldn't know how to react.  Has anyone heard of this or have an opinion?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 11:48:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ogive] [#1]
Breeder is full of shit.  I trained my first Brittany when my kids were young...  He was a great gun dog.  Plus, when I called / yelled  "Boomer"  the kids knew that I wasn't talking to them!  Edit...  Or vice-versa.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 11:56:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Find another breeder.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 6:55:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info.  I will continue to look for breeders.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:01:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep, BS.  Main suggestion is when you are training the dog (at least at first), do it away from the kids.  Dog doesn't need the distraction while learning, it will get confused on play time vs work time.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:55:56 PM EDT
[#5]
That is the kind of breeder I'd be looking for.  

There are people that breed dogs for profit, then there are people that sometimes profit from their life's passion.  It very common for the folks in the high caliber sporting dog category to insist on interviews, minimum means, minimum property, and the like.  These folks are passionate about improving bloodlines and many feel they giving away family members, not sell dogs.

I have a very good friend and hunting buddy that raises, breeds and shows Vizsla.  I know they have been doing this 25+ years and I guarantee they have the phone number of everyone they have EVER sold a puppy or dog to programmed into both of their cell phones.  They keep track of longevity and health problems for every dog they have raised and do their best to track their offspring.  Some years they may not raise a litter, some years they may have two or three.   Every litter is planned out 6 months to a year in advance.  

The breeder you talked to may seem cold and uncaring... but they are passionate about their dogs.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:46:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I have an 25 lb English Cocker Spaniel that was born to hunt.   She is a flusher that goes through brush rather than over, is smart and wants to please.  I haven't seen many dogs quicker or faster.  

I have no experience training but quickly taught her to respond to 1 whistle sit 2 whistle come and hand signals.  Whistle once and point left, dog goes left.  

She would not have responded well at all to any kind of negative enforcement.  Such a pleaser needs positive reinforcement only and if it starts going wrong quit for the day.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:57:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Stillhooky:
I have an 25 lb English Cocker Spaniel that was born to hunt.   She is a flusher that goes through brush rather than over, is smart and wants to please.  I haven't seen many dogs quicker or faster.  

I have no experience training but quickly taught her to respond to 1 whistle sit 2 whistle come and hand signals.  Whistle once and point left, dog goes left.  

She would not have responded well at all to any kind of negative enforcement.  Such a pleaser needs positive reinforcement only and if it starts going wrong quit for the day.
View Quote

I had a cocker that was born amazing.

Labs can be trained to do anything.  But without training they are not that good a dog.  Labs are a lot of work to make good.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:59:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zoomer302] [#8]
I have German Shorthairs and have used the same breeder for each of my dogs.  His actions (although disappointing to you) are indicative of a quality breeder.  Kind of a "his business his rules" kind of thing.  He may have had some bad experiences in the past and is actually looking out for YOU, your children and the best interest of HIS dogs.  My breeder specifically asked about my kids activity level and interest in my training as a bird dog.

I spent all "serious" training by myself and the dog working on sit, stay, come and whoa - really the only 4 commands I care about.  IMHO all other field work stems from those includint right, left, cast off etc., but sit/stay/come/whoa are non-negotiable.  My daughter spent "play training" teaching gimme your paw lay down kind of stuff and as a bird dog I ALWAYS want them "out front" and never taught "heel" or allowed my kids to do it either.  I never use a leash in the true sense but did use leads.  I don't want my dogs to walk next to me - their position is out front, always.  My GSP's were so eager to please as pups and they are great family dogs.  Maybe this breeder knows his strain/bloodline and English pointers are known to be a little more serious for "doing pointer stuff" and may be less willing to calm it down and be a family pet.  I don't know if that's true or not but just what I heard.  I have been around and hunted over English Pointers and they acted more serious with higher energy than any of my GSP's ever did. (Hard to believe that's even possible....).  English pointers also typically hunt at greater ranges while on foot and almost killed me trying to keep up and we had to recall them a lot.  In most cases field trials for the English pointer are carried out on horseback for this very reason.

Did the breeder say how old he wanted your children to be?  Were you set on using this breeder or using this particular bloodline?  I'm sorry for your dilemma but I really think this is a vested breeder and is looking out for the best for you.  Good luck in your search for there is nothing like the magic of seeing a good bird dog or two work in the field.

EDIT to add: reading is fundamental  I failed.  English Springers make GREAT family dogs and I'm leaning to the fact that this breeder is more full of shit than I originally thought.  Springers are beautiful dogs and are great with family (watch out for chronic ear infections though)
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:19:13 PM EDT
[#9]
there's plenty of breeders who aren't princesses about their dogs.

find one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top