Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2016 4:27:57 AM EDT
I want a versitile hunting dog and mainly hunt small game and deer but I do a modest amount of bird hunting. Can anyone recommend some deutsch drahthaar breeders?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:20:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't have a personal recommendation, been out of the game too long.  But the VDD/GNA web site has the breeder's list with pups available.  Sure wish my situation would allow another Drathaar.  Best dog I ever owned.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:35:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I could point you to come breeders but kind of depends how far you are willing to look into.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:46:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Keechi_Kid:
I could point you to come breeders but kind of depends how far you are willing to look into.
View Quote

Hopefully no more than a 12hour drive from ms.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 3:07:01 PM EDT
[#4]
My wife's ex boss just went to Germany to get another... we basically dog-napped our Gabi from him three years ago... best dog I've ever had. Don't know of any breeders.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 7:55:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Fbuckshot nailed it.  Vdd-gna.org is the spot.  There's not a lot of them, and they hold a pretty high standard in my experience. Dwight Runkle at Vombuffeltaler.com is a good man and a great breeder.
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 12:16:52 AM EDT
[#6]
VomMillerhaus is where mine came from. 77 VJP, 177hZp and will,run the VGP this fall. Never do you see Dwight Runkles dogs in the testing program nor training days. If you do you can look at the test results and see they are less than stellar in their results if they pass.
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 7:35:29 AM EDT
[#7]
That's too bad. I met him about 10 years ago, I know he was more active then. I think one of his dogs won at Armbruster.  Still, he was a good guy.   Whatever you do just don't go with a new breeder. Go with someone who can provide advice with the training and testing.  Don't ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 12:26:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By CatskillDraht:
That's too bad. I met him about 10 years ago, I know he was more active then. I think one of his dogs won at Armbruster.  Still, he was a good guy.   Whatever you do just don't go with a new breeder. Go with someone who can provide advice with the training and testing.  Don't ask me how I know.
View Quote

The breeder is the key. William Miller of Vom Millerhaus is the most generous man I have ever met with his time. He conducts training for his buyers an minimum monthly, summer weekly and is all about the dogs. He performance breeds and if you look at the scores it shows. He is literally 10 minutes away from Dwight. Tim Bumgardner of Vom Farnholtz is also a great man and I know he has a female available now. Not ready to go home yet.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 5:37:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By mcooper:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mcooper:
Originally Posted By Keechi_Kid:

No personal experience with the breed but this guy would be within 12 hours of MS. http://vommoorehaus.com/
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 11:15:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm getting a puppy in May from a breeder in TN!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top