Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2015 4:19:10 AM EDT
Im looking into getting a hunting dog. I was looking on a dog site that was listing the characteristics of many hunting dogs, and states that many of them are not good watch/guard dogs, despite the fact that some of them may bark at intruders; but are not likely to be aggressive.

Im looking at getting something for bird/small game. Retrieving, and flushing, etc. But also something I can count on for defending the home. Im looking at moving into an apartment complex and I am specifically moving into a location that will have a provided dog park so I can train it and spend lots of time with it outdoors, daily.

Growing up we always had lots of dogs, Brittany, Cocker, GSD, Redbone...the German Shep was obviously the best dog for keeping the home safe, but can't see it being used to hunt. Likewise, Brittany and Cockers have been great for hunting when I was growing up, but not the best watchdogs.

I may possibly get one of each, but Im wondering if anyone knows a good all around dog.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:39:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Take a look at Rhodisian Ridgebacks. They may fit what you're looking for.

Very layed back and chill inside, lots of go juice outside.
Classified as sight hounds but love to learn, and lots of success stories on teaching them to also hunt by sent.

Their not big on barking but if an unfamiliar approaches the door mine will give a low growl before the bell is rung.

Highly intelagent, don't get one if you don't want a dog that knows how to think.
If you're heavy handed and inconsistent/unfair they will learn to resent you.  If you're firm and confadent they'll respect and happily follow.

I have five kids ages 9-21. They're smart in that they know I won't tolerate them not listening to me, but they'll try to ignore the kids orders. I work with kids on training, they work with the dogs, it all worked out. Now they listen to everyone.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:26:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SkunkTop] [#2]
No one else?

I hear Chesapeake Bay Retrievers are difficult to train. Anyone know a good breeder?
And are they good for small game besides bird?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:28:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I have about a month till my pup is ready to be picked up a drahthaar.  They are great for all types of hunting but not really guard dog material.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:30:10 AM EDT
[#4]
boykin spaniels are a great bird dog. Nova scotian duck tolling hounds are another great option.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 9:56:35 AM EDT
[#5]
If you have any interest in Drahthaars send me a message.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 10:22:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Dogo Argentina
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 12:14:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sorionc:
Dogo Argentina
View Quote

For small game and bird?
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 5:06:30 PM EDT
[#8]
So did you ever get the dag?
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 11:47:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By OvisCanis:
So did you ever get the dag?
View Quote

No, currently Im starting a new job with the railroad working 18+ hour days. Left my redbone coonhound in Texas with my parents. They have land, more dogs, and more time to love her until my schedule frees up.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 11:17:30 PM EDT
[#10]
My go to dog breeds are:

Black Mouth Cur

Viszla

Drahthaar

They all have good things about them but it all really depends on which is more important to you.

Hunting (small game/birds)
Protection
Companion

Also staying all day in the apartment is tough for sure.

The one that really does is all is the Drahthaar but it is a lot of dog to be leaving in the apartment - You could also look at the Jagdterrier - which is a smaller dog but it thinks it is one of the biggest.  If you get one from the german bloodline breeders it will be a hunting/killing machine.  Not the best with other dogs (can be socialized) but it will live to hunt and will be a good guard dog and guard it's area.

If it were me I would get the Viszla just because they are easier to handle than the rest in an apartment (maybe the BMC would be the same) also really smart dogs

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top