Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2014 8:08:14 PM EDT
Hey i just got a 6 week old red bone coon hound and was wanting to see if any of you guys could give me some ways i can start training her Thanks all
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 9:07:36 PM EDT
[#1]
6 weeks old is kind of young to be separated from its pack
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 9:18:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Start with just basic training with the dog, give it a little time before you do anything else. Then what we did next was slowly introduce dog to tthescent of a coon by applying a scent onto something they will play with, such as an old stuffed animal. Gradually use the scented item when you work with the dog. If possible, a trappedcoon that you can keep caged so the animal can be introduced to the live animal without direct contact. There are round training cages you can use to get the dog to chase the coon around in. Before you try to get a live animal, make sure it is legal in your area. Once the dog shows real interest, nothing will work better than getti g the dog out and working it with finished dogs, down here we used to have a coon hunting club with a small lease, this was where I would go to try and finish my dogs. Trained 3 coon dogs this way, did almost the same scent  intro, cage, finished dog routine when training bird dogs, was able to turn around 2 expensive bird dogs that were nearly ruined by lax training methods.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 9:52:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys i got her a drag and some coon scent to start playing with her and plan on introducing ghee to a live coon when she gets bigger, the breeder said he already imprinted coon and bear to them.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 5:43:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Forget the coon scent for now, and don't laugh.

The best way to get a pup to learn how to use it's nose is with food. I did this with my coon dog and my lab just to teach them how to follow their nose to get what they are looking for.

Tie a piece of hotdog to a string and do the drag with that, easy ones at first and make them longer an more difficult over time. Then make it so they can't even see their prize when they get there and it will help give them confidence on the tree.

Keep in mind though you should spend the first month or so just doing the basics. Come, sit, heel and manners on a leash are pretty important with a coon dog.

Also remember, once you get the pup in the woods you absolutely can not punish the dog for chasing off game until it learns how to track and tree properly, then you can begin the process of elimination for off game. Keep an eye out for roadkilled coon and use the skin for training, get them super excited on the tree and buy yourself a shock collar and learn how to use it to save yourself a ton of time the first year.

Hounds can really test your patience and are about the hard headest of breeds to train. If you feel yourself getting angry either in the field or during training you need to just walk away and cool down, nothing good will come from it.

Pick up a copy of Walk with Wick, lots of good tips for coon dogs in there.

Here's Huck with his first two ever same tree. I probably walked 15 miles on multiple nights behind that pup before he finally put one up. We don't do it much anymore though, after the kid I don't like to stay out late chasing critters through the briars.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 2:00:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I've coon hunted for over 25 years and have tried it all.  I've screwed up some good ones along the way.  My advice is this... Don't worry about coon scent right now.  Like someone else said, get him using his nose by using food.  Get him used to using that nose like it's a tool. You can turn him towards coon scent later on.  

Don't show him a coon. Barking at a coon in a cage does absolutely nothing towards making a good coon dog.

Also,  now is the time to get him used to a leash, collar, and riding in a dog box.  I've never been more aggravated than when I've got a dog that's not leash broke or one that you have to wrestle into a box.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 10:12:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Pick up a copy of Walk with Wick, lots of good tips for coon dogs in there.

OP this is really good advice!

Teach the hound the word NO! Then and only then can it understand right from wrong.

Be gentle...Redbones don't respond well to a thrashing like a Plott...

In the end natural ability will take it's course. Good luck...please keep us informed on your progress...
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 12:19:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Just curious how the pup is doing?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top