Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2014 10:28:53 AM EDT
Figured this was the best place out of the Outdoors to ask. I am training two pups and need to find some shock collars. I was wondering if anyone knew of a place to buy used collars, either online or with shipping to MS.

Going to post this in A random HTF as well.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 10:53:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Collar Clinic has good deals on refurbished/used models. You should also give craigslist a look.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 12:42:38 PM EDT
[#2]
TriTronics has worked well for my Lab.  It holds up to water and abuse.  Cheaper ones will die or won't have any range.

I believe Garmin bought them so you might want to double check the reviews on the newer models.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 5:42:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks. I haven't heard anything god about the garmin ones. Was looking at the tri field ones. Just didn't want to fork out that much cash.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 5:59:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one of the entry level TriTronics, I can control up to 3 colors with one remote. Both the remote and receiver have held up to MASSIVE use/abuse and kept on ticking. Their customer support is no questions asked and they even covered an issue I had (that I caused) when the collar was months out of warranty.

Buy once cry once.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 6:40:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I use Sportdog with no problems.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 7:37:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I use a Dogtra Edge for my two RRs.

Cabellas ran a pretty good sale on it a while back.

http://www.dogtra.com/?mnu_num=2010&category=Remote%20Training&num=49
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 7:22:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dehammer:
TriTronics has worked well for my Lab.  It holds up to water and abuse.  Cheaper ones will die or won't have any range.

I believe Garmin bought them so you might want to double check the reviews on the newer models.
View Quote

I have one of the newer Garmin "TT" collars.  It replaced a old sport 50 after the transmitter went over the side of the duck boat chasing a crippled goose last September.  The collar is much smaller and works well (on/off button very easy) and charge lasts FOREVER!  Range seems to be fine, but it is on a Lab during waterfowl hunting scenarios, she is never really far from me as a long blind retrieve may be 300 yards.

The transmitter is like a monkey screwing a football......too many buttons, to many stimulation levels, too hard to access side buttons.  I do think it is waterproof and that is good and it will run 3 collars, which I don't need and the battery life is better than the collar.....I did not need to charge it once during the hunting season.   I still can't get used to hitting the correct button without looking, and sometimes your correction window is gone at that point  [://   YMMV
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 8:17:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By VTDuckGuy:

I have one of the newer Garmin "TT" collars.  It replaced a old sport 50 after the transmitter went over the side of the duck boat chasing a crippled goose last September.  The collar is much smaller and works well (on/off button very easy) and charge lasts FOREVER!  Range seems to be fine, but it is on a Lab during waterfowl hunting scenarios, she is never really far from me as a long blind retrieve may be 300 yards.

The transmitter is like a monkey screwing a football......too many buttons, to many stimulation levels, too hard to access side buttons.  I do think it is waterproof and that is good and it will run 3 collars, which I don't need and the battery life is better than the collar.....I did not need to charge it once during the hunting season.   I still can't get used to hitting the correct button without looking, and sometimes your correction window is gone at that point  [://   YMMV
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Even my simple controller had 3 collar control, I wish they had something simpler like single collar with only 2 buttons 1 dial.  My collar needed recharging quite often and I barely use it, I lucked out with a soft dog that takes direction very well.  The only thing I really don't like about it is the snap on charger.

It always works and holds up so my complaints are minor.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 7:18:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Even my simple controller had 3 collar control, I wish they had something simpler like single collar with only 2 buttons 1 dial.  My collar needed recharging quite often and I barely use it, I lucked out with a soft dog that takes direction very well.  The only thing I really don't like about it is the snap on charger.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

100% agree with the 2 buttons/dial like my old TT collar, I don't mind the snap on charger as I have not used it very much.

As you say it has held up thru hunting season.....we will see how it does thru the longer training season.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 9:10:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sitdwnandhngon] [#10]
Originally Posted By Deuce22:
Collar Clinic has good deals on refurbished/used models. You should also give craigslist a look.
View Quote

I got a refurbed trashbreaker from them about 5 years ago, still works great even though I don't need it anymore.

I got the coondog on a deer from about 1/2 mile once. That little turd never chased them again.
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 3:53:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm also a Dogtra fan
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 10:57:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Got one yet.  Tri-tronics is having a good sale rightnow.

I use the G3.

http://tritronics.factoryoutletstore.com/?cid=12558&chid=1&gclid=CLiNp4qM870CFe5aMgodFzQAjg
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 10:50:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I have electronic collar made by yard dog. I can't remember the exact model but I know it is the "s" model for stubborn. It is rated for 100 yards but after a couple years it wont work past maybe 30.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 10:58:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#14]
Note- as a kid, using a shock collar on your cousin will result in a thorough whipping in my family. Don't ask me how I found that out...

ETA: totally worth it
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:35:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By ti22_4788:
Got one yet.  Tri-tronics is having a good sale rightnow.

I use the G3.

http://tritronics.factoryoutletstore.com/?cid=12558&chid=1&gclid=CLiNp4qM870CFe5aMgodFzQAjg
View Quote

^^^ This...I just picked up the Tri-Tronics Pro 550.  Best e-collar on the market in my opinion and it's $100 off right now.  I tried the Sport Dog 825 and Garmin Delta before just nutting up and buying the Tri-Tronics.  Buy once cry once would be my advice OP...
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:19:51 PM EDT
[#16]
The Garmin Delta is fine - within it's limitations.  I use for for regular walks and yard work training the bird dog.  I love how light it is, how reliable it is, and how long the batteries last between chargings.  I take it with me on hunting trips as a backup collar.  It would suck for multiple dogs though.  It supports up to 3, but you have to look at the display to know what dog you are on.  I need to be able to run correction functions by feel which means seperate buttons for each dog or a switch I can flip and tell by feel where it is at.

I use a Garmin Alpha for hunting.  It has an up to 9 mile range and GPS functionality.  It's just a little clunky for day to day work and you have to charge it up a lot more often..

I also have a Tri-Tronics Classic 70 G3 that works fantastic, the remote is just super clunky with no provision for a lanyard.  They fixed that issue in the replacement model.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:15:05 AM EDT
[#17]
I've got two Sportdog 1825s.  They're AWESOME collars, and Sportdog has a good warranty.  Receivers work great, 24 levels of stimulation, 25ft submersible, 1mi. range.  Best investment I ever made for our dogs.

imho there's no reason to cheap out on one of these. They're worth fifty times their weight in gold.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top