Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2014 12:50:55 PM EDT
My 10 month old female black Lab blew out her knee.  It is technically a damaged cruciate ligament, the equivilent to out ACL.  SH
he had TPLO surgery yesterday.  Anyone have a dog who has had this surgery?  I am wondering if anyone has any helpful tips for helping my dog convaless/recover.
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 8:20:05 PM EDT
[#1]
What does your dogs weight look like?

Any information on what your dogs breeding looks like?
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 8:35:41 PM EDT
[#2]
My black lab had TPLO in 2009 at age 9.  He blew his ACL out while playing ball with another dog.  We had the TPLO in September.  Tips and tricks for recovery:

We bought a baby gate area and limited his movement with it by restricting him to the living room floor with blankets and beds.  He came out for poo time, food time, and mild exercise.  It was a constant vigil of around the clock I want to say for the first week.  Then as he improved we allowed more and more freedom.  We used a towel around his belly to help him navigate stairs for the first few weeks so he did not put a lot of weight on it.  We also built him a carpeted ramp up the short back stairs so he had access to the garage when he wanted it instead of navigating stairs by himself.

I remember a lot of laying on the floor holding an ice pack on his leg for the first few weeks and I remember being lucky that he had no infection or issues.  

He is now 14 and recovered fully from the TPLO.  He walks a little crooked and up until his arthritis set in really bad he would still chase the ball and run fine.

Hope some of that helps and good luck.  Sucks that it happened at such a young age.

Link Posted: 2/20/2014 9:11:46 PM EDT
[#3]
One of mine had bilateral tplo surgery last year.

Surgery 8 weeks in a crate, surgery 8 more weeks in a crate. Came out great. Money well spent.

Link Posted: 3/30/2014 10:38:06 AM EDT
[#4]
bosshoff, how is your pup?  My Boxer had bilat TTA surgery a few years ago.  We took her to Cornell as they could do both at the same time.  Poor thing blew the second while we were researching and looking for a surgeon for the first one.  She spent 5 days at Cornell, and we had to use a sling to walk her so she didn't slip and fall for a few months.  She still seems 100% now 3 years later.  Tough surgery either way, but the dogs seem to do well long term.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top