Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/24/2013 10:02:14 AM EDT
Any advise for a preferred flea & tick preventer?

collar?
liquid?
spray?

Got a new dag, I had always used flea & tick collars in the past, but the vet is recommending Frontline liquid

So I was wondering what you guys use?
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 10:27:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I have show dogs and it seem the preferred method is frontline for flea and tick and heartguard for heartworm. That being said I have heard several comments this year about frontline being less effective. I'd go with your vets suggestion.
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 10:40:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: big-dewey] [#2]
I've got a 25 lb terrier, he loves to work the shrubs and brush pretty hard. In the summer months tics are a real problem in our area. I use Frontline on my dog and have never found a live, fully embedded tic. l do find dead tics on him once in a while, which tells me the Frontline is working.
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 4:45:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By big-dewey:
I've got a 25 lb terrier, he loves to work the shrubs and brush pretty hard. In the summer months tics are a real problem in our area. I use Frontline on my dog and have never found a live, fully embedded tic. l do find dead tics on him once in a while, which tells me the Frontline is working.
View Quote

oh so, frontline is a pesticide also, I thought it was just repellant. that ups the game for FL quite a bit.

thanks for the input
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 5:07:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pumbaajk] [#4]
For the fleas, Dawn dish soap. For the ticks, skeeters, heart worms and all other critters is Revolution.

Mine is an english pointer so her hair is really short and fine. she is solid white so i can see anything that gets on her and i can immediately pull it off.
Link Posted: 12/26/2013 5:12:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cviss] [#5]
dont waste your time with frontline.. i switched to K9 Advantix II  and haven't seen a tick or flees on my gsp, great dane or 2 cats that outside cats in the last 4 years.

Put it down the back of the dog your good to go..
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 2:36:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I moved to Alaska, fleas & ticks don't exist up here; course it was 54 below last night also.   My Plott hounds don't know how lucky they are sleeping on the old sofas.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 12:14:53 PM EDT
[#7]
54 below?
are f*cking serious?

Link Posted: 1/4/2014 2:53:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I've seen 82 below, but usually we get  a few weeks of minus 65 within the nx month, high for the day will be minus 50, low at 6 am minus 65-70.  My Plotts are house dogs, they keep the bear from breaking in when you're not at home.  Short haired dogs stay inside, but I have seen Indians keep pit bulls outside in houses with straw, awful hard on them.  Alaska Huskies sleep in the snow outside their houses when it's minus 50, they like it.

Ticks & fleas can't survive here which is good.  We got other things, wolves that lay in wait for your dog to go outside to poop, they eat them quick. My neighbor ran outside with shot gun, wolf had his springer spaniel on the ground, by neck not 10 foot from front door. Wolf wouldn't let go, neighbor sprayed blood everywhere.  Dogs learn pretty quick to run back up on porch when the wolves are around, bark from porch at them.  They have a different bark for wolves too, so you hear them and run outside with gun.  I've had to shoot wolves in my dog lot when I had dog team, the buggers have balls.  I've even had wolves in my garbage cans at 3 am. My Plotts wind them from inside house and wake me up, I'm hangin outside kitchen window AR with flashlite. I've even set up game camera to catch them, aand tthe wolves are smart, realize something ain't right, won't come in.

We don't have ticks, but too many wolves & bear around; live where the Yukon comes in from Canada.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 2:02:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Trifexes
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:44:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shooter_G22] [#10]
Permethrin... for the Yard, Dog-House, or sleeping area's,  and you can even mix it light, to and spray directly on Dog, for flea/tick/fly control...

Ivermectin:  once a month for heartworms... (I have always used the same bottle made for Cattle and dilute it down according to weight of Dog)

Strongid or Nemex 2: for any other worms as needed...

the PERMETHRIN, is some BAD-ASS stuff....   you can mix and spray it directly on your hunting/camping gear or some people have even used it in the rinse cycle in your laundry on your hunting clothes, sleeping bags, and what nots... just to keep the bugs off your gear... or you can mix it in a bucket or tub, and soak the gear or clothes that needs treating...    I love that stuff....  its Good to Go...!!!

you can buy the concentrated Permethrin online or at a Tractor Supply or Feed Store... 10% thru 36.8% most common available...

these are just some of the most affordable way's that I have used in the past when I was raising Dogs...

hope this helps...

Link Posted: 4/10/2015 6:31:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I've used a Seresto collar on my Beagle mix for 2 years now. They seem to work well.

I tried several Frontline type products. When I didn't forget. They seemed to make my dog lethargic.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:22:31 PM EDT
[#12]
++ on the Sorresto collars.   I have three dogs and the ticks stopped when we got those.  They are pricey but they last for i think 6 months, and they can get wet. very very good stuff.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 6:31:04 PM EDT
[#13]
My dog is a house dog, but she is a Walker Coonhound / Beagle mix.  On the first day of each month, she chews up Heartguard and Nexguard.  I need to see if I can get the Nexguard cheaper online compared to what I pay the vet.  I like the Nexguard because it is a chewable.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 7:14:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Trifexis for fleas and ticks.  I live within throwing distance of salt water and it's always wet here, we had a lot of problems with fleas until we switched to Trifexis from Frontline and the rest of the others.

BTW, never take a vet's word at face value about drugs, they are getting a kickback from the pharmaceutical company to push a particular brand...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top