Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/11/2013 8:36:52 PM EDT
I am interested in hearing from anyone that's has spent time around a Wiredhaired Pointing Griffon.  Would be used for upland hunting and potentially ducks on occasion.  Everything I read also indicates it would be a great family dog?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 12:24:40 PM EDT
[#1]
We have a half breed he is mixed with a Lab, sadly he has Lymphoma and will be dead soon

We rescued him and have had him for 3 years, great dog and we would certainly get a purebreed if the opportunity came up.

His first family he must have had a little boy or girl or both, because he loves kids, extremely well mannered and when he does do wrong, I do not even tell him "NO" I can give him a stern disappointed look and he knows. Then he does not do it a second time..

They do love to be with their people family so being inside at night is big for them and sometimes they can be underfoot. I cannot get up to get a drink or go pee without being followed. If I go up to work in the shop he certainly wants to be there, if I leave him in the yard, he will sit for an hour or two before laying down then he will continue to be looking at the shop door waiting for me to come out. It does not matter if it is pouring rain or not.

He is fantastic and I will be crying my eyes out soon enough.

As far as hunting goes, he does not hunt, but if started as a puppy he would have been alright even as a half breed.

If you are a foot hunter Griffs are good, usually not real far ranging, Wirehairs and Shorthairs will go out further, but they are not as loving IMHO.

Any dog we ever get the number one priority is a buddy and companion, guard dog and hunting come 2nd or 3rd depends on what type of dog we are going to get,
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 5:33:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one. A 7 month old female. They are great family pets. Its not a dog you can kennel all the time. The thrive to be close to their owner and do what ever they can to please them. With that said, be prepared to have a dog stuck to you like glue.

My pup started hunting at 4 months. I did very little training then running her on state land with stocked birds for her to find. I need to work on retrieving with her.  Right now she finds downed birds and points them. She also pointer a buck this year.

I've had her on an Ecollar since she was 4 months, I can call her off of almost anything. Only exception is if shes chasing a pheasant.

This year we took 36 pheasants over her.

Any questions feel free to ask.

When I have time I can out up some pics. I have some posted in the threads here.

Link Posted: 1/7/2014 2:54:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ShockTroopT] [#3]
I hunt with a friend that runs a grif and lab.   His grif is the most birdy dog I've been around and is extremely disciplined.  Finds and points every bird you can think of and can keep up with the lab during waterfowl hunts.  I train my dog and hunt with his whenever I get the opportunity.   He follows the Huntsmith method.   Great dogs...you can't go wrong.

That being said when choosing my dog I went with a pudelpointer.  They're very similar in that they both versatile breeds.  A grif would be easier to find however.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top