Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2013 11:04:21 PM EDT
I may have the opportunity to get a Brittany. I have always wanted one. The dog is 5 yrs old. He has been hunted. The person that is getting rid of him doesn't have the time of health to keep up with this dog anymore. What do ya'll say? If the dog has any "bad habits" will it be possible to "break" them and teach a dog new tricks for a lack of a better phrase?
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 11:19:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I had three or four Brits and I can tell you, if he/she has been bred to hunt, you cant go wrong.  My first one was out of Kansas, I even remember the name of the kennel.  Lenmar.  He would retrieve ducks, hunt chukkars, pheasants and pine chickens like it was childs play.  He would usually get more than I would either by picking up wounded, hit birds or simply catching them on point.  He died at fourteen years.  The other two I had were not worth the trouble as far as hunting goes, still, they were nice companion dogs but not much for hunting.  Maybe that was because there wasnt much left to hunt.
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 11:22:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I started with a puppy....and a PUPPY he was till I gave him to a rescue(r) 18mo later....Beautiful and loving....just too much for a simple family farm dog....good luck!
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 11:42:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I think a started dog is a great way for someone to break into hunting with a dog.  That dog will teach you more than you could ever possibly teach it.
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 1:21:46 AM EDT
[#4]
How can I see what this dog knows hunting wise once I get him?
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 12:33:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By EastWestKy:
How can I see what this dog knows hunting wise once I get him?
View Quote

What do you mean?  Are you talking about commands or are you talking about actual hunting?  Command wise whoa, heel, come, etc... simply give the command and see what the dog does.  

As far as hunting, your dog either will hunt or it won't, you can't train a dog to hunt, it is in it's genetics.  Some things sharpen up with experience and a little bit of training such as creeping on point, honoring, steady after the flush but weather your dog has drive to hunt and point birds depends entirely on genetics.  

What I would do is take him to a pheasant farm and see what he does, don't give commands, just let your dog do it's thing.  That will give you an indication of your dogs prey drive and hunting abilities.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top