Link Posted: 9/5/2014 8:05:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VTDuckGuy] [#1]
Year 4 has started!!

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 8:35:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Time flies. She's an old pro now.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 5:59:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VTDuckGuy] [#3]
Couple of quick shots from this weekend, 35 birds in the boats, 2 bands  and 1 very tired and muddy dog.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 6:42:45 PM EDT
[#4]
awesome thread!

she's beautiful
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:06:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VTDuckGuy] [#5]
Sorry dad, little muddy from working.............

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:18:48 PM EDT
[#6]
She's living the dream for a retriever.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:38:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Excellent Post.....and dog too!!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:40:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By K9-Bob:
http://vidbash.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/God-Made-a-Dog.jpg

Excellent Post.....and dog too!!!
View Quote

Where is the "like" button!
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:51:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VTDuckGuy] [#9]

Last day of early goose with the goober!
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 5:10:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VTDuckGuy] [#10]
A couple of pictures from the last month, first was by my daughter on youth duck weekend....it was a little slow and a bunch of pictures were taken.  Second is the 6th duck band we have taken so far this season, we have not hunted a duck day yet where we have not killed a banded duck, most are local but 1 was from Delaware and another from New Brunswick.  Last is a daughter/Addi selfi on youth weekend.....hard to look mean in her waders with a lab and her Benelli  

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 7:06:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VTDuckGuy] [#11]
Duck season is in full swing and goose just ended over the weekend, it has been a slow year in the duck department.....not awful, just slow.  The bands have more than made up for it though, these picture are of a neat sequence over the weekend.  Duck band #10 in the boat from L'isle verte ouest Quebec (north of Quebec City)

Bird on the right, bird on the left was pig of a black duck  

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 11:23:39 PM EDT
[#12]
That is a big duck. Thanks for the pictures.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:23:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VTDuckGuy] [#13]
4 days left in the 2014 season

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:27:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VTDuckGuy] [#14]
Happy 4th birthday little girl !!

Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:35:42 AM EDT
[#15]
She's a hard working dog. Our retrievers chased tennis balls and took naps.  Did you give her a birthday treat?

Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:43:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By KingRat:
She's a hard working dog. Our retrievers chased tennis balls and took naps.  Did you give her a birthday treat?  
View Quote

She naps with the best of them, and you can see her tennis ball on her front feet    Yes she did get a couple extra treats yesterday!
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 8:40:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VTDuckGuy] [#17]
Got to have a little fun yesterday as one of the pick up dogs at a 100 bird driven pheasant shoot.  The coolest thing was this was the first stop at a bachelor party.......why the hell didn't my best man come up with this!

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 5:57:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Just booked her flight to Saskatchewan..........mind will be blown in October  
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 6:14:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for posting this, I just found it.  What a great thread.  Your daughter will look back on these days with great fondness when she gets older.  It brings back a lot of memories for me as well when we used to chase the birds.   Looks to me like you have a great dog and to be able to get out and chase those birds has got to be a great treat.  Thanks again.  Best of luck to you.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 11:26:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By VTDuckGuy:
View Quote

Liberty?
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 8:41:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By TNBayou:

Liberty?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Liberty?

??? not following
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 8:15:20 PM EDT
[#22]

??? not following
View All Quotes

Liberty?

??? not following

Which part of Saskatchewan are you heading to? Liberty is a popular goose hunt spot.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 9:58:24 AM EDT
[#23]

Which part of Saskatchewan are you heading to? Liberty is a popular goose hunt spot.
View All Quotes

Liberty?

??? not following

Now I am with you!  In the close to 20 years I have been going there I had never heard of Liberty.  We hunt west of Saskatoon.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 5:29:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VTDuckGuy] [#24]
Well summer is now over and flew by.  Goose season opened on the 1st, but it is so damned hot here the geese are not moving around much, we have killed a few but nothing to get excited about.

With that I will say year 5 has officially started!!

I will leave us with a couple of pictures from the life of a duck dog, hanging at horse shows all summer.

Chillin'

Wife and her girl

Daughter and the other love of her life, her horse Dakota

Link Posted: 9/7/2015 7:54:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for the updates. I enjoy following her progress.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 6:24:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VTDuckGuy] [#26]
Early goose just ended with a bang and youth weekend is open.......but my daughter is not coming home from a 5 day horse show,  until tomorrow early afternoon, so we are planning a quick hit and run on a spot holding a bunch of ducks.  So I will just dispense with the carnage.  It is so hard to get a good shot of the dogs in this location at the end of the hunt, they are done working and just want to be left alone.

The carnage with Addi

Dogs were chilling in my boat just to the right and didn't want to pose.

Link Posted: 10/19/2015 7:47:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VTDuckGuy] [#27]
So we just got back from a week in Saskatchewan, Addi was on cloud 9 and worked her ass off.  She ended up with 219 retrieves for the week and was one tired dog by the end, lots of long marks in the fields, along with many blind retrieves.  She only got her feet wet 1 time all week on a crippled 12 pound honker in the creek, and really got excited for the upland hunts for sharptail grouse and hungarian partridge....she was a pro by the end of the week on them.

First morning

First sharptails

Tired girl

First Blue goose

Nice duck shoot

Sharptails and honkers

Last evening

Home

Link Posted: 10/19/2015 8:43:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Great pictures. Had she done much upland work before this?
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 10:53:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Very little, a few ruffed grouse around the house is all.  It was amazing to see how quick she picked it up, using her nose more than her eyes.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 2:02:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VTDuckGuy] [#30]
Quick hunt this morning with her best buddy Sage the chessie  

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:29:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VTDuckGuy] [#31]
My wife's favorite picture of Addi so far this year.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:35:20 PM EDT
[#32]

My wife's favorite picture of Addi so far this year.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q214/HJF71/D255343D-B0D6-4896-A707-7F73AFB637D3_zpsorfz24wg.jpg
View Quote

That's a good shot. It almost looks like one of those duck dog paintings they sell at Cabelas.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 12:16:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Dunno how I missed this thread before! Very cool pictures and Addi is a beaut. I just picked up a replacement lab for the one I had to put down - he was 15 1/2 years old and it was time. But the new dog is awesome as well! Serious training mode right now.

By the way, do you know a guy named Jamie who lives down here in the Upper Valley? He's an ex-canuk but goes up north every year to hunt.

Also, how was your duck season this year? I pounded the geese early but the ducks never showed up.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 2:29:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By JCoop:
Dunno how I missed this thread before! Very cool pictures and Addi is a beaut. I just picked up a replacement lab for the one I had to put down - he was 15 1/2 years old and it was time. But the new dog is awesome as well! Serious training mode right now.

By the way, do you know a guy named Jamie who lives down here in the Upper Valley? He's an ex-canuk but goes up north every year to hunt.

Also, how was your duck season this year? I pounded the geese early but the ducks never showed up.
View Quote

Thanks,  she really is a great dog!

Don't know a Jamie from over there, sorry.

Geese were great until mid November then slowed down, duck season was the worst one ever, and I have been doing this a long time.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 5:02:08 PM EDT
[#35]

Geese were great until mid November then slowed down, duck season was the worst one ever, and I have been doing this a long time.
View All Quotes

Also, how was your duck season this year? I pounded the geese early but the ducks never showed.

The same here. I shot exactly zero ducks this season and it wasn't for lack of trying. We just didn't see any.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:25:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VTDuckGuy] [#36]
Wow does time fly, 5 years old today

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:20:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Thats a good lookin dog!
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 6:00:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks, man!

Funny, the first picture was taken last Sunday 2/7/16.....hell of a VT winter  
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 11:30:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Love this thread one of the best on here.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 7:54:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Relaxing in the lazy days of summer, the girls are away at a 4 day horse show and we are holding down the fort.  The hot tub is turned down to a cool 95*, steak on the grill and shooting steel in the back yard from the hot tub       Never mind the deer fly biting her on the head, the one drawback to all this  

Link Posted: 7/8/2016 10:40:34 PM EDT
[#41]
+1,000

You're doing it right.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:30:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VTDuckGuy] [#42]
Where has the time gone??  Year 6 started with a "bang" this morning!!

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 4:57:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VTDuckGuy] [#43]
Harvest moon the other morning

Link Posted: 10/2/2016 3:20:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VTDuckGuy] [#44]
And 1 from the other morning after coming in from a retrieve.

Link Posted: 10/14/2016 10:58:33 PM EDT
[#45]
And 1 from the other morning after coming in from a retrieve.

<a href="http://s137.photobucket.com/user/HJF71/media/707E887E-9D2A-4BAE-9661-CB58654A014E_zpsanfdchsd.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q214/HJF71/707E887E-9D2A-4BAE-9661-CB58654A014E_zpsanfdchsd.jpg</a>
View Quote

Awesome thread and beautiful girl.  Shopping labs ATM myself.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 11:35:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Great thread.  Makes my eyes dusty seeing those pics......reminds me of my golden Gandalf.  My daughter and I visited his grave this afternoon.  I miss him.

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:37:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VTDuckGuy] [#47]
Big photo dump after coming home from Saskatchewan yesterday.  I have 1 tired girl!

Link Posted: 12/11/2016 3:49:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VTDuckGuy] [#48]
Duck season is winding down and it was about 10* when we hit the water this morning, instant ice when coming out after a retrieve.

Link Posted: 12/11/2016 6:29:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Are you up by the big lake? Are there ANY waterfowl that are going to head south this year?  No geese and no ducks pretty much all season. Again. Geez, I might have to take up basket weaving. 

I'm in the Ct river valley and really hope something flies by this year. This cold weather might help.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 6:52:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Are you up by the big lake? Are there ANY waterfowl that are going to head south this year?  No geese and no ducks pretty much all season. Again. Geez, I might have to take up basket weaving. 

I'm in the Ct river valley and really hope something flies by this year. This cold weather might help.
View Quote
We were on the lake this morning, sort of south end, tons of puddle ducks migrating the last 2 days. Divers are here in good numbers and I dont think there was 5 minutes where there was not a flock of mergansers going south, never seen anything like it.

Lots of geese still around as there is no snow, and lots moving south.  You need to be out this week with the cold weather 
Page / 7
Evolution of a duck dog (Page 2 of 7)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top