Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 3:42:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Science Diet but I plan to go back to Nutri-Source if I can find it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 9:55:23 PM EDT
[#2]
My springer spaniel gets Taste of the Wild... Seems to really work well for him.
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 11:10:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: slappomatt] [#3]
If we only had one dog I would probably still use blue because its one of the best. because I have 2 dogs and one is a lab that would literally eat himself if he could I buy costco's nature grain free line.
Lets see how the food in your poll ranks on http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com
OLD ROY gets 1 star: not recommended.
Purina one smartblend gets 2 stars:  not recommended.
Diamond natural gets 4 stars: highly recommended.
Eukanuba gets 3 stars: recommended.
I won't use anything less than 4 stars.

ETA native gets 4.5 stars. +

Link Posted: 7/6/2013 6:31:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 9:01:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 9:02:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SevenMaryThree:
Nutro Natural Choice.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/30/2013 9:10:52 PM EDT
[#7]
blue buffalo
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 9:58:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Blue buffalo duck
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 12:37:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Orijen Adult and Orijen Regional Red once in a while

Expensive but super quality means I can feed less. 2 Dogs (GSD and Catahoula) on it: no health issues, no allergy, great energy, shinny coats.

Link Posted: 12/3/2013 1:28:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By marinesg1012:

Nice looking AB, I have two right now and also feed a raw diet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By marinesg1012:
Originally Posted By aga7040:
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd123/aga7040/Rufusfood.jpg

Today's menu consisted of a turkey leg, pork spleen, bones, and meat, beef, chicken liver, and green tripe (his favorite).
2-3 lbs per day for a 90+lb Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog.  Diotamaceous earth ingested 2-3 times a week.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd123/aga7040/Doggie.jpg

Nice looking AB, I have two right now and also feed a raw diet.

Same, although we feed about a case of chicken necks a month and some fish also.  He's in great shape now.
Link Posted: 12/25/2013 8:42:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By beemerphile:
Canidae
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/4/2014 1:21:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Nutro Natural Choice.
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 4:24:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HarfordFiles] [#13]
I use the Costco brand.
Its $26 for a 40# Bag and ingredients are top notch. 28 protein/ 18 fat.
Great bang/buck and Ive tried them all. Coat is good, shiny, energy is also good.
During hunting season, I Supplement with flax/fish oil, Vit. E, occasional raw chicken, and table scraps.

Link Posted: 2/26/2014 1:43:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Ok everyone I have been thinking about switching my dogs food.  We have two dogs both Labs.  Our female is 7 and we got a male pup a couple days after x-mas.  I work out of state and my wife has been telling me our pup seems to have the runs quite a bit.  I am guessing the main cause is his food and eating the older dogs food too.  We are currently feeding Purina Dog Chow to the older one and Puppy Chow to the pup.  Before anyone gets on my case I have been doing a bunch of reading and realize we have been feeding them junk.  I have been thinking I am going to switch to Blue Buffalo and was wondering with buying much better food for them do you think I can feed them both them same food even though the pup is only 4 months old?  Or should I still buy him puppy food?  I figure if they both eat the same food the wife doesn't have to try and keep them out of each others bowls.  I would think even though the pup would be eating adult food that it would still be better for him than the purina puppy chow.  Its not like in the wild pups eat anything different.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 3:52:59 PM EDT
[#15]
We're using Authority Grain-Free from Petsmart.  It's 4-star rated on dogfoodadvisor.com and I don't need an FHA loan to buy a bag of it. The pups seem to do well on it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 4:27:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I use Dr. Tim's Pursuit. Comes shipped to my door on a schedule I set up. Great food that my DD and 2 GSPs do very well on and I never have to go to the store.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 4:40:45 PM EDT
[#17]
any kind with real meat and rice as the main ingredients
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:28:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Purina pro plan select
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:56:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Whatever raw chicken I can find cheapest.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:19:54 PM EDT
[#20]
You need to check the Diamond Naturals ingredients (4star) very comparable to Blue but  30 to 40 percent cheaper.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:03:31 PM EDT
[#21]
My dog's love Purina Pro Plan. They all seem to keep weight and appetites up while on that no matter how much hunting I am doing.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 12:47:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Deuce22:
I use Dr. Tim's Pursuit. Comes shipped to my door on a schedule I set up. Great food that my DD and 2 GSPs do very well on and I never have to go to the store.
View Quote

My Catahoulas have been switched to Dr. Tim's pursuit as well, wish I found it previously.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 6:26:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Taste of the wild wetlands. Used to feed blue buffalo wilderness, but taste of the wild saves me a little money and is available locally in my small town, while having similar ingredients and nutritional value.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 12:23:18 AM EDT
[#24]
I am feeding my pup orijen.  Started on purina pro plan and had issues, constipation and an unstoppable bladder vet recommended switching foods immediately.  Switched to blue buffalo wilderness puppy and she had diarrhea, went to blue buffalo wilderness large breed puppy same issue as pro plan.  Switched to orijen and she has stabilized.  The vet thought the pro plan issue could be salt related.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 12:30:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Fromm large breed puppy female gsd
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 12:31:48 AM EDT
[#26]
all those are crap. I feed costco grain free. If I was rich I would feed them blue buffalo
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 11:09:30 PM EDT
[#27]
My dogs get fed a raw diet made by our local butcher.  $.99/# when I buy bulk.  Whole raw chickens, all sorts of organ meat and bone meal.  It's changed my dogs lives.  Not to mention their poop goes away in a matter of weeks.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:31:46 PM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By Buckeye67:

We're using Authority Grain-Free from Petsmart.  It's 4-star rated on dogfoodadvisor.com and I don't need an FHA loan to buy a bag of it. The pups seem to do well on it.
View Quote

I've since switched all of mine over to Kirklands (Costco brand).  4 Stars on dogfoodadvisor.com and it's inexpensive.  My trio do well on it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 8:12:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Our Siberian Husky is a very picky eater. She would not eat any dry dog food except a Victor premium brand. My vet recommended trying a Blue Buffalo dry food but she may eat a few pellets and never touch it again.
She would not eat any cheap canned food either. I tried some very expensive canned food but it's way overpriced for what you get and she is not crazy about it either.
Fresh meats sold in regular grocery stores, here in the Carolinas are terrible. To me the meat smells and tastes like it's half spoiled and has been treated with laundry detergent. It's that bad. I don't consider myself a picky eater but I won't eat nasty shit if I can help it. We don't eat the local meat and don't feed it to the dog either. I always buy organic meat from a local Earth Fare store. Our favorite is grass-fed beef from Australia. It smells and tastes great, like meat should. I usually get around 10-15 lbs when it's on sale. We feed the dog with it every other day and mix it with some Victor brand dry food. She likes the fresh meat raw or grilled for about a minute on each side. Money-wise it's cheaper and a lot healthier than grossly overpriced premium canned dog food.
We also give the dog some low-fat Greek yogurt every other day. She loves it and it's good for her stomach.
She is spoiled but we love her.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 10:10:27 PM EDT
[#30]
I use this one, it's a little old at 57 but it will do

Link Posted: 12/31/2016 10:29:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Retriever green bag at tractor supply
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 11:06:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Lab_Guy:

2nd that.  We switched to it for our lab that has allergies.  All the other dogs love it.  Dogs love the stuff.  I use it as a treat for other people's dogs over the other store bought "biscuits".
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jeremy223:
Blue Buffalo

2nd that.  We switched to it for our lab that has allergies.  All the other dogs love it.  Dogs love the stuff.  I use it as a treat for other people's dogs over the other store bought "biscuits".

My vet switched us from Blue Buffalo to Royal Canin Ultamino because BB wasn't good enough for alergies.

Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:03:58 AM EDT
[#33]
9 mo old Lab. Feeding Kinetic 28k puppy.

So far so good I think.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:33:03 AM EDT
[#34]
From someone who knows a thing or two I'll give you my opinion.

I feed my puppy Purina Proplan.

He's the truth about dog food. There are many types and a variety of manufacturers. Most people buy dog food based off of marketing and price not science. (People assume more expensive is better and a sign you care about your dog; not true).

Fact: The best food for your dog is one that is for the appropriate life stage (puppy/adult/senior) and is a complete and balanced diet. If you dog food has a AAFCO statement on the back of the bag it is a complete and balanced dog food and a key indicator of a quality diet as the diets are formulated and certified by a board or certified veterinary nutritionists. (Fun fact Blue has a ton of varieties of food and not a single veterinary nutritionist on staff). There are a ton of quality foods out there at a reasonable price. There are even more that cost more and have piss poor ingredients and are based of zero evidence.

If your dog requires a prescription diet for a disease process that diet will be the most appropriate for them; consult with your veterinarian regarding this.

Fact: Grain in a dogs diet is not harmful and is very unlikely to cause a food allergy despite what every "premium" manufacturers commercial will tell you. Many people proudly flaunt they feed grain free. Complete and balanced diets of the appropriate life stage are fine to feed though. Protein is the primary source of food allergies in dogs with the number one culprit being a chicken allergy.

Brands to stay away from:
Blue Buffalo - overpriced shit food that has had MULTIPLE serious recalls.
Beneful - It's not as healthy as those beautiful commercials with all the veggies advertise
Chinese food- China is a big place. They do produce some quality diets. They also produce products that will kill you dog and there is not quality assurance program in place to sort the food from the bad

Rules of thumb
Stick with a large manufacturers such as purina, Iams, eukanuba, royal canin, and science diet ect. These companies are very good at what they do and have the resources for R&D and to employ veterinary nutritionists. Sorry Rachael Ray does have a fucking clue what should be in dog food.
The uglier the bag the more likely it's a quality food - images of wolves in the mountains fool some but they spend more on marketing than the food; your dog is NOT a wolf
Expensive does not mean better
Ask your vet what are some good options for your pet

Best Buy:
Kirkland dog food is a wonderful food and is very cheap. I feed my Proplan because I prefer the the protein ratios and like the company.

I am not affiliated with any of these manufacturers
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:40:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Merrick Grain Free, 5 star food
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:54:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Orijen
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:03:32 AM EDT
[#37]
The thread title shows a poll, but there isn't one.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:20:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: packingXDs] [#38]
Originally Posted By Sputnik556:
The thread title shows a poll, but there isn't one.
View Quote
This thread started almost before I was a member. 
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:24:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Taste of the Wild
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:42:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By BigeasySnow:

My vet switched us from Blue Buffalo to Royal Canin Ultamino because BB wasn't good enough for alergies.

https://www.petflow.com/images/default/products/maximal/32793-5.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BigeasySnow:
Originally Posted By jeremy223:
Blue Buffalo

https://www.petflow.com/images/default/products/maximal/32793-5.jpg
Ultamino is a great food for dogs with food associated atopic dermatitis. It is also very expensive.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 6:27:38 PM EDT
[#41]
My adult Lab was on Wellness Core (grain free) for years then Fromm's grain free.

My 10 week old Lab pup is going back and forth between Victor Hi Pro Plus and Fromm's large breed puppy grain free.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 4:33:01 PM EDT
[#42]
kinetic 26k
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 3:21:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By HarfordFiles:
I use the Costco brand.
Its $26 for a 40# Bag and ingredients are top notch. 28 protein/ 18 fat.
Great bang/buck and Ive tried them all. Coat is good, shiny, energy is also good.
During hunting season, I Supplement with flax/fish oil, Vit. E, occasional raw chicken, and table scraps.
View Quote
Same here, great success with Kirkland for years.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 6:59:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Taste of the Wild, bison flavor...

God help me if I buy anything other than TOW.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top