Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/9/2009 11:08:19 AM EDT
[#1]
My dogs are on high protein diets,  cant afford to feed them Diamond @ .90$ a pound,  so they get high protein Retriever at .40$ a pound.
Link Posted: 12/9/2009 11:38:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Purina Pro Plan
Use to use Nutro, but switched.
Link Posted: 12/9/2009 11:47:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Exclusive - for 2 German Wiredhaired Pointers aged 7 and 2
Link Posted: 2/10/2010 10:37:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Innova puppy for the new lab.  Switched him from Purina Puppy.  

I think he likes it all.  Something about just eating that he likes.

nct
Link Posted: 2/10/2010 10:47:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Purina Proplan. Excellent food, plus the are very supportive of competitive dog events.
Link Posted: 2/19/2010 9:22:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Naked80:
Iams

and Costco Bacon
Link Posted: 2/19/2010 9:36:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Iams Puppy, since Amber is a puppy
Link Posted: 2/19/2010 10:35:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I feed my Dogs in the morning Pedigree Wet Food
In the evening I feed them either Old Roy Dry Food or Purina Dog Chow Dry Food
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 4:58:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 12:52:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Was feeding Innova until winter hit, then switched to Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul. The place where we pick up Innova is a bit of a drive, while a nearby pet store carries the Chicken Soup dog food. I think Innova is the better quality brand between the two, and, is actually much more cost-effective than the other. Although, when weather hits, convenience takes precedence.
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 3:08:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Embark, by The Honest Kitchen.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 8:00:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Most of my ABs life I fed her DVP Natural Balance but recently went with IAMS due to lower cost. I think I am going back to Natural Balance. She pooped and shed less with NB. Natural Balance also scores in the #1 or #2 spot  in an independent dog food rating systems.
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 2:35:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CavalierX] [#13]
Originally Posted By bobweaver:
I feed my gsp Innova Evo Red Meat.  Very high protein and low carb, no grain.  Bison, venison, beef.  If you feed a major store bought brand, ie Science Diet or Iams, you are slowly poisoning your animals.  These companies are owned by larger companies like nestle and johnson and johnson and are garbage.  Do some research, you will be horrified what's in there.  Innova, and there are several others, is human grade and although it costs more you feed less.  My sister is a vet/researcher for texas a&m university and did a 10 year study on pet food and what she found makes me sick.  We are unknowingly poisoning our pets.  I blame myself first for not researching what I was feeding, but Science Diet second for scamming the public into thinking that their food was healthy and poisoning several of my pets.  The only reason vets sell that crap is because they buy it for $5 per bag and sell it to you for $25.  Yes, pets can and do live healthy lives on grocery store bought food, but just do some research and you will discover that there are far better alternatives out there.  Google "truth about pet food."  Decide for yourself.

When I got my dog about 3 years ago I did a bunch of research and found much the same things you are mentioning.  The "crude Proteins" that many of the dog food producers use is frightening.  I found that many of the Large Pounds that euthanize animals then sell the animals remains to rendering plants for "disposal" who in turn sell the ground remains to pet food companies as crude protein.  So your dog maybe eating the euthanized remains (as well as the drugs used to kill those animals) of dead and diseases shelter animals.  The amount of phenobarbital in dog food has caused dogs to become less responsive to the drug when being euthanized. They theorized that the drug found its way into dog food from euthanized cattle and horses.  

I fed Nutro at first (got a free bag) but after doing my research switched to Inova's California Natural brand... high protein- low filler- whole grains (NOT spent Brewers Rice or Grain).  About 6 months after I stopped Nutro the pet poisoning happened (in 2007) and it was Nutro wet food brands and produced that were killing dogs with the Chinese crap they put in to fake the level of actual protein in the products.  I have been very happy with Inova- my girl gets about 1.5 cups of dry food a day and the odd old-mother-hubbard cookie.  When she poops it looks like Cat Poop because there is so little waste in the food.  Another product to check out is called "Spunk" its a powdered supplement that is great for over all health, coat and longevity of your animal.  

Wolves have a life expectancy of about 8 years with the rigors and trials of a wild life; wolves given medical care, regular exercise, and a good diet regularly live into there late teens.  The oldest living dog on record was a working Australian Cattle Dog (Heeler) that lived to be 29 years of age.  If we are losing our dogs at 8,9 and 10 years of age with good medical care, love and exercise then it begs the question "what is killing our dogs?"

Think about what you are feeding... more expensive dog foods may not actually cost you more money in the long run, when you consider smaller portions and vet bills.

Link Posted: 4/6/2010 3:08:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Canidae.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 6:19:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Use to feed mine Barf but the shipping got to expensive, now we feed her natures own or something like that, natural frozen raw food diet.....
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 3:49:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Wellness
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 12:35:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Nutro Max.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 9:56:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Iams large breed for about 13 yrs.   My only remaining dog stopped eating about 6 months ago.   I tried feeding him Kibbles & Bits after seeing a write-up on it in Consumer Reports.   It's doggy junk food....but if the 14 yr old lab wants to eat it, he can have it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 11:51:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Both dogs have been on the BARF diet for almost a year now. They will be two years old in October. Chicken, beef, pork, etc. Raw. Raw bones for their teeth.
Austrailian Shepherd mixed. No table scraps (that I know of). No processed foods except for maybe some American cheese. Some carrots, green beans, etc.
So far so good.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:29:31 PM EDT
[#20]
BlueBuffalo !!!  Its like the prime rib of dog food, all organic of course
Link Posted: 10/10/2010 7:41:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: avmech] [#21]
California Natural herring and sweet potato hard food, Merrick trout and lamb soft food, local raw honey each day for her allergies (including beef, venison, buffalo, poultry.........)

Regarding Blue Buffalo: http://www.petsitusa.com/blog/?p=3628&ref=nf  Recall
Link Posted: 10/10/2010 8:45:17 PM EDT
[#22]
I have 10 dogs the smallest of which is about 45 pounds so need to strike a balance between quality and affordability.Maintenace medications (Iverheart and Vectra) combined with food is +/- $500 a month. I feed Science diet Adult Large Breed Light and have had good results in managing weight, good coats, teeth and energy. I don't underestimate the quality of some of the "designer" brands but I am skeptical that some of the major brands are as bad as they are promoted to be. My vet is my friend and we speak openly and freely, he just last week came to the house to innoculate the pack and give them a routine physical exam. As part of that exam we discussed what they are eating, as we always do. I think that if Science Diet were poison he would tell me.
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 8:52:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Royal Canin.  Controlled portions twice a day.  At the cabin they get three meals.  One of my dogs shits once a day.  Very little filler in the food.  My dogs love it!
Link Posted: 12/8/2010 4:30:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Solid Gold
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 5:06:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PBOutdoors] [#25]
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:00:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Solid Gold
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 3:52:11 PM EDT
[#27]

Today's menu consisted of a turkey leg, pork spleen, bones, and meat, beef, chicken liver, and green tripe (his favorite).
2-3 lbs per day for a 90+lb Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog.  Diotamaceous earth ingested 2-3 times a week.

Link Posted: 3/6/2011 11:17:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By SevenMaryThree:
Nutro Natural Choice.  

+1
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:05:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By aga7040:
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd123/aga7040/Rufusfood.jpg

Today's menu consisted of a turkey leg, pork spleen, bones, and meat, beef, chicken liver, and green tripe (his favorite).
2-3 lbs per day for a 90+lb Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog.  Diotamaceous earth ingested 2-3 times a week.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd123/aga7040/Doggie.jpg

Nice looking AB, I have two right now and also feed a raw diet.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:10:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Kirkland Chicken and Rice  (Costco)
Link Posted: 4/4/2011 11:32:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Royal Canine
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 10:24:01 PM EDT
[#32]
+1 Royal Canin  My dog shits once a day.  One solid nice shit.  Very little filler in this food.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 10:32:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By SevenMaryThree:
Nutro Natural Choice.  

This - highly recommended by several breeders I have spoken with and very healthy.  It was safe from all the dog food recalls a few years back too.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 6:49:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Blue Buffalo Chicken and Rice.

Kind of pricey but we tried (and switched) to this after we figured out he was allergic to wheat. No more skin or coat problems after a month or so after the change.
Link Posted: 5/16/2012 3:58:43 PM EDT
[#35]
We tried the Nutro but it caused intestinal bleeding and our vet warned us about the numerous recalls on most Nutro brands.  We have since switched to Blue Buffalo, we use the standard large breed BB, the wilderness and the new grain free for our 3 goldens and 2 standard poodles.

11BLT
Link Posted: 5/16/2012 4:19:38 PM EDT
[#36]

VERUS Dog Food for the Win. Our breeder (well respected) has been feeding it to the breed for a very long time. Actually knows the guy who manufactures it and says he's a well educated stand up guy (and she has a mean streak) so it must be true.
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 10:03:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Blue Buffalo
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 10:08:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: geekz0r] [#38]
Originally Posted By Lab_Guy:
Originally Posted By jeremy223:
Blue Buffalo

2nd that.  We switched to it for our lab that has allergies.  All the other dogs love it.  Dogs love the stuff.  I use it as a treat for other people's dogs over the other store bought "biscuits".

This.  Blue Buffalo ftmfw

I don't eat meat from China so why should my dog have to eat melamine-laced shit?

Have you tried the Blue Bones yet?  Our pooch goes fucking crazy for them.  
Seriously it's like crack for dogs.

Originally Posted By avmech:
California Natural herring and sweet potato hard food, Merrick trout and lamb soft food, local raw honey each day for her allergies (including beef, venison, buffalo, poultry.........)

Regarding Blue Buffalo: http://www.petsitusa.com/blog/?p=3628&ref=nf  Recall

Yes, but not from adding foreign shit to it but from having too much vitamin D.
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 7:05:20 AM EDT
[#39]
I feed California Natural Adult Lamb and Rice to my GSHP. 1 cup twice daily.

Some things to consider:

1. If you home cook diets you need to be sure they are balanced and have the nutrients the dogs need.

2. Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Corn is a good source of energy, not just a "filler".

3. Feed meals, don't free-feed. Dogs that have unlimited access to food tend to be overweight.

4. With dog food, the phrase "You get what you pay for..." is certainly true.

5. As far as recalls go, we see a lot more because there is improved/increased surveillance after the Melamine issues back a few years ago.

Link Posted: 9/9/2012 8:38:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Blue Buffalo Taste of the Wild, Great all natural dog food. I feed him according to the feeding on the bag, and the 40# bag lasts me about 3-4 weeks for a Male German Shepherd.
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 1:29:25 AM EDT
[#41]
For the young lab Blue Buffalo Chicken & Rice, Fish & Rice every other bag to change things up.  Old lab gets Science Diet as she has all her life.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 3:38:59 AM EDT
[#42]
In my personal experience, the best thing for a dog with a digestion issue is straight cow manure... antibotics generally mess it up, but your local farm should have an ample supply, your dog may need a bath... ask me how I know
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 9:48:57 PM EDT
[#43]
For our Catahoula used Wellness puppy for a year, now switched to Blue Buffalo. My Springer ate ProPlan his entire life and was with me for 17 yrs
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 8:32:16 PM EDT
[#44]
taste of the wild
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 9:27:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Innova Evo
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 8:55:00 PM EDT
[#46]
What a difference 5 years makes since I asked this question. My Brittanies started to have issues with the Native dog food and I have since switched over to Nutri-Source.
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 9:01:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By AZBADBOY:
Originally Posted By innocent_bystander:
Solid Gold
Another vote for Solid Gold. If you live in AZ you can order it from Goober Express delivered to your door cheaper than any store and it's always there the next day after you order (LOVE THAT).

yet another +1 for solid gold.  We did Canidae for a few years and loved it.  Recently switch to solid gold and now wont go to anything else.  We also use the express delivery.  For those of u that buy grocery store stuff, which before I met my g/f and got a lesson in dog food, do yoourself a favor, do some research, switch to a better brand.  You can usually find better stuff local, you just have to go to a pet store place vs the grocery store.  you will notice a HUGE difference in your dogs health/coat.
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 9:05:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By beemerphile:
Canidae

This. Auto ships from petbest.com
Link Posted: 4/9/2013 12:16:21 AM EDT
[#49]
I voted Diamond in the poll because they make Costco's Kirkland brand dog food.  I'm currently mixing a 20lb bag of Kirkland puppy food with 30lbs of Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food.
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 7:45:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Doc's Choice
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top