Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2017 5:08:48 AM EDT
Briggs and Stratton 6.5 on a Craftsman deck, Run of the mill yype push mower.  Wont start.  Removed airfilter, poured gas onto carb...Starts/Runs.  I cut the lawn.  Stopped motor, tried to restart; no joy.  Primed again: Joy. Repete with same results.
New plug, no corrosion in carb or bowl, primer bubble intact.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 6:17:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Probably needs a good carb cleaning. Bad gas can do that to it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 6:21:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Here's my guess.  It's a self-priming model with the float style carb.  At the bottom of the carb float bowl is a bolt.  Take the bolt out, it probably has some debris stuck in the small hole down by the base.  The bolt is hollow and drilled through, but since there is no inline filter, debris gets stuck in the bolt, that stops the flow of fuel to the carb venture.  I've fixed a bunch of them that had that problem.  Want a permanent fix, add a little inline filter from the tank line to the carb, something from napa, autozone, o'reillys.

ETA:  Didn't read your post thoroughly.  If it has the older diaphragm style carb, the thing that goes bad most often is the diaphragm, which is also the fuel pump. No matter the make or model, removing the carb and spraying all openings, jets, etc out with carb cleaner can't hurt and might be all it needs.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:03:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Lawn Mower REPAIR Auto Choke Briggs and Stratton Sears Craftsman fix engine won't start spring

Good chance for your symptoms.
Sounds like your auto choke is tits up.

You are bypassing the choke system when you prime it by hand.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:43:23 AM EDT
[#4]
FW_wife had this problem after Fatalwishes died.  I just sprayed some starter fluid in there, it started right up.  Never had a problem w/ it since.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 4:04:56 PM EDT
[#5]
When did it last run? I had a similar issue as in the video posted above, but my spring was fine. I removed the cover and there were enough cobwebs in there it wouldn't work. The choke opens with vanes using the wind caused by the flywheel so as the engine comes up to speed it opens the choke.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:55:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a question.  Anybody have a lawnmower that starts (usually) fine, and then dies the minute it hits grass, or when you push and then pull it back, like the pulling motion does something to the engine/fuel?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top