Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2017 6:56:50 PM EDT
Looking at used pop-up campers. Any gotchas, tips, tricks, things to look out for or look for?
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 8:11:05 PM EDT
[#1]
look for rood water leaks - you will see stain on the canvas.

check the floor from underneath for water damage as well..  on the top side you should feel it being spongy if you step on it..

make sure any plumbing is not leaking.. and AC/heater/fridge etc work correctly..

check date on the tires (YYWW )  year and week the tire was produced. if its over 4 years old I would plan on replacing them ASAP..   Age and UV kill tires before tread life is done..  plan on replacing everything every 4 to 5 yrs..  had 3 blowouts with NEW tires - ended up with $800 worth of damage that good year covered.

good luck

Brian
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:22:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Look the lift mechanism over very carefully!
They are a bitch to work on if a cable breaks.
Hint-- When you get your camper. Lift the top to full height.
Measure the distance at all corners. It should be the same +/- .25"
Cut 4 two by twos at the minimum distance minus .25". Keep these as a maintenance tool. They will hold the weight of the top if you need to slack the lift mechanism for an adjustment or cable replacement.
When adjusted correctly all 4 sticks should fall out at the same time when you max out the lift.
Good luck man and have fun.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:10:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Look the lift mechanism over very carefully!
They are a bitch to work on if a cable breaks.
Hint-- When you get your camper. Lift the top to full height.
Measure the distance at all corners. It should be the same +/- .25"
Cut 4 two by twos at the minimum distance minus .25". Keep these as a maintenance tool. They will hold the weight of the top if you need to slack the lift mechanism for an adjustment or cable replacement.
When adjusted correctly all 4 sticks should fall out at the same time when you max out the lift.
Good luck man and have fun.
View Quote
This. Lift system could be hell to repair if its bad shape or some of the older ones that would cost a fortune to replace. Some are cheap and easy to fix. Do some research on Goshen, Jayco and Coleman lifts. Most canvas isn't canvas anymore but a coated cloth and most can be replaced in sections. Better then a tent but not as good as a trailer.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:17:19 PM EDT
[#4]
As a longtime RVer (Class B), I've never seen the point to pop up campers, unless you have a tiny tow vehicle.  Small light bumper tow trailers are not that expensive, and used are even cheaper.  For a lot less money than a pop up trailer you can get a bad ass tent and some fold up cots.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:40:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Just an FYI "campers for sale in Ohio"  Face Book page!!!
May not help pick a good one. But they seem to be a lot for sale!

PITA45
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 5:26:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As a longtime RVer (Class B), I've never seen the point to pop up campers, unless you have a tiny tow vehicle.  Small light bumper tow trailers are not that expensive, and used are even cheaper.  For a lot less money than a pop up trailer you can get a bad ass tent and some fold up cots.
View Quote
I would go teardrop before ever going popup, but that's just me.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:59:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Question: Why a pop-up as opposed to a travel trailer?  Is it tow weight?  Cost?

If you want (and can tow 2800 lbs), you can borrow my 22' travel trailer.  You would need a brake controller, though, and 5-pin connector-  Unless you want to borrow my jeep and trade me your car for the duration.

@perlguy9
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 4:13:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a Coleman popup for 3 years.  We really enjoyed it but moved up to a 24' bunkhouse travel trailer last year.  Ask me anything.

Don't ever get on the rear bunk before lowering the rear stabilizers.  Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:05:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Aliner trailers I sell RV's instead of a pop up, I would recommend Aliners.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 1:49:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Head over to popupportal.com. the arfcom of pop ups.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top