Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2017 1:24:39 PM EDT
condensed as I can.  My son's roommate moved to Colorado and asked him to see if he could keep his 7-8 month old GSD.  My son works a lot and comes home with the dog having gotten tangle in his cable and neck lacerations.  I pick up the dog and take him to the vet and have him clean up, shots to date, and wounds treated.  The dog has been on a cable in the back yard since they had him minus short periods to run around and be with the roommates family.  
He shows great dna.  He is very quick, alerts on kids, dogs and adults, good ball drive,  strong hearding instincts, uses soft mouth appropriately, I am not a trainer but we have a 2 year old GSD female, a 1 year old Mal, and an 8 year old fixed female mix.  We tried to parallel walk him with the old mixed dog and he just looses his mind.  I took him to a park with very few people in it in town and he alerted on everything.  I could not get him calmed even with treats so I just loaded him up and drove the hour back to our farm.  
He is so smart that I wanted to put him with my crew but as strong as my Mal is, a very fit 70+ lbs, and the little male GSD, a 52lb softy, I just don't think it is going to work.
Ideas?  Thanks
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 2:41:37 PM EDT
[#1]
You might have better luck in the pets subforum

That being said, closely monitor interactions between newcomer and pack 'alpha' until you see newcomer submit. and even then, keep a close eye so a fight doesn't break out. How socialized is the 7-8mo?
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 2:56:10 PM EDT
[#2]
That is the real problem.  He alerts and losses his mind on anything or person when he is out and about.  I can't even get him calm enough to go in an almost empty park.  I don't think he ever left the back yard from the time he was 8 weeks old.  Solo on our farm he is very high energy but manageable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top