Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2017 2:48:41 PM EDT
Has anyone here used bear spray against 4 legged critters? And if so, how effective was it?

Planning a trip to the Tetons this fall, and I'm definitely getting a can of bear spray. Currently, I don't have a good "bear stopping" gun (.40sw is my largest), but the articles I've read indicate bear spray seems to be as effective or more than a gun in the back country. 
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 3:10:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Thankfully I've never had to hose down a bear. Several dogs = usually works pretty good if you score a hit, they move around quite a bit. Raging raccoon = basically a squirrel on pcp, barely phased it. Other cops = pretty effective, try not to but shit happens. People in general, works great on people who don't need to be sprayed less predictable on fueled up assholes. Overall, I think it's a great idea in bear spray packaging form and worth the effort although I still believe in packing some firepower as well.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 3:10:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had lots of experience with bears, here in SW MT and back in AK growing up.  I recommend bringing a gun and bear spray, not just for bears, but moose as well.  The shiraz out here are grumpy and potentially aggressive.  Big too.  I got charged up a tree by a momma moose and had a Mexican standoff with it for a several minutes a few years ago while deer hunting.

I have test fired cans of UDAP.  The regular size can will discharge relatively quickly, about 4 to 6 seconds.  The bigger ones last a little longer, but still, a pretty short window of discharge time, considering the pricetag.  Crouch low and wait til bear gets near if you get charged and spray it in the face.  Many people have shot the gas cloud right over a charging bears back.  I even had a bowhunter buddy who recommended spraying the ground in front of you so the bear has to run across a patch of pepper spray.  I recommend doing a couple practice runs to get the hang of it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 4:06:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Got back from the Tetons a few weeks ago.  Didn't see any bears, still highly recommend bear spray.  The place we stayed at supllied us with it.  On a sidenote I was gonna take my .45 but didn't what to give TSA the opportunity to "confiscate it".  Saw a few female moose, and they couldn't have cared less we were near them.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 4:54:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Is there any chance of bear spray getting aerated and coming back to you in windy conditions?
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 7:21:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I've never had to use it.  We go to the Tetons and Yellowstone frequently and it's the go to method for bear defense.  If you're going to do any hiking it's a good idea to have it.  You can rent the bear sized canisters there for considerably cheaper than buying.  Probably the way to go if it's going to be a one time thing as far as when and where you might possibly need it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 10:45:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Just back from a few weeks camping in Yellowstone/Teton bear country, with Counter Assault large (primary) and small (backup) spray canisters unused, and Underwood Extreme Penetrator.44 Mag. rounds unfired from my S&W 69, (thankfully, at about $50 for the spray canisters,and $2/round for the ammo), with the following observations ---  You can rent bear spray, and trust some underpaid, overworked, unconcerned, temp hire for its ultimate efficacy, but, I'd buy new... In any case, I'd recommend using an inert training spray to test/inform yourself about the spray's behavior, before you need to deploy it  --- its mist rises very quickly, and is diverted by a very slight breeze, so, you need to position the wind at your back and wait until the very last moment, and aim the spray very low at an attacking bear, or you'll overshoot, ineffectively, and suffer the consequences, long after using a gun was an option (except to put yourself out of your misery...)..
I found that an unobtrusive/unalarming/apparently unnoticed way to carry both a fairly large revolver --- S&W 69 --- and bear spray in its holster, was to carry the gun in  a Wilderness Safepacker  holster in that company's "Packer Backer" holster belt, with the Counter Assault spray holster hung on the Packer Backer belt. If anyone noticed the gun, I didn't, and one nite, in the Tetons, a stir among the campers alerted me to  the presence of a bear in the campground, which I pursued, and hounded, and shoo'ed  away from the campground (I thought), hoping to discourage its unwelcomed behavior, only to learn the next morning that it was  tolerated, deemed "harmless" by park officials and  not regarded with much concern... So much for the "bear scare" drumbeat of the  Park Service...
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 10:56:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes. I tried to spray a rabbit digging a hole in my yard. Sprayed right into the wind. Fucking sucked.

Edit. Yard not hard
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 11:04:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Has anyone here used bear spray against 4 legged critters? And if so, how effective was it?

Planning a trip to the Tetons this fall, and I'm definitely getting a can of bear spray. Currently, I don't have a good "bear stopping" gun (.40sw is my largest), but the articles I've read indicate bear spray seems to be as effective or more than a gun in the back country. 
View Quote

What a timely post - I did just a couple of days ago.

Our large dogs got a hold of a small kitten.  Had it in their mouth - I was sure it was done for.

Hit them quick with some bear spray and it was over.

Got some in my face.  Not fun, but not the end of the world.

Works wonders and way better than getting injured.

Washed the dogs and the kitten with some Dawn - over and done, no problem.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 12:03:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm wondering this myself. I've also seen those articles/videos that indicate it might be better than a firearm for a bear "stopper." This sucks to hear.. because I need to justify a big boy revolver or at least a 10mm!

In true ARFCOM fashion: Get both!?
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 8:37:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Was in the Tetons when I saw a mom with 2 cubs foraging for berries, about 50Y up a hill from the road. Lots of people gathered around to stare. The bears just ignored us and kept foraging.

FWIW almost every hiking party I saw on the trail there carried bear spray. The opportunity cost of carrying a high cal gun wasn't worth it for me that trip. But if weight's not an issue, sure why not?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top