Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2017 12:31:17 AM EDT
I'm looking for some good multiday beginner/intermediate hiking and camping in the southeast close to Alabama. Looking for something that I could drive to after work, stay out on the trail 3-4 days and come back.  Looking for something I can take the 9yo daughter on with me. Thanks for any suggestions.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 8:44:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought 60 hikes within 69 miles of salt lake and love that book.

There is a Birmingham edition

By Russell Helms 60 Hikes Within 60 Miles: Birmingham: Including Tuscaloosa, Sipsey Wilderness, Talladega National Fo (2nd Second Edition) [Paperback]

Here
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 12:20:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Sipsey Wilderness is good.  I did a multi-day backpacking trip there years ago.  Pretty area.  Lots of bugs - I was eaten alive by chiggers.  I'd still go back.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 1:11:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I know this is kind of an old thread but cheaha in Alabama has some nice views. The pin-chin-sky loop is about 17 miles and a fun hike, but can get a little crowded sometimes. I've never been alone there.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 10:43:14 AM EDT
[#4]
The Foothills Trail through SC and NC is awesome.  I did a 40 mile section back in March.  The section from Table Rock State Park to Sassafras Mountain was definitely strenuous.  Plenty of water on the trail.  I'd bring a hammock over a tent or tarp.  I had a hard time finding a flat area to put my tarp over and my sleep suffered because of it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 1:34:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Just went out to Cheaha State park.   Tons of hiking and camping
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top