Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2017 11:09:54 AM EDT
I'll add some photos as I put a quilt together. My thread and baffle mesh should be here today.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:54:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Neat. I've played with the idea of making a quilt, but never got around to it.

What are the materials? Are you following a particular plan?
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 2:27:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Who would've know making a diy quilt would be so dangerous. Pulled a muscle in my back while leaning over laying out the grid pattern for the baffles.

In a few days when I feel better, I'll start sewing and post up some pictures. It's going to be a cool weather quilt good down to mid 30's.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 10:30:19 AM EDT
[#3]
You made me google underquilt patterns by looking at this thread. I foundThis snugpack underquilt for under $60. That's cheap enough that I won't be testing my sewing skills soon. But my real question is where did you get your pattern
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:44:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You made me google underquilt patterns by looking at this thread. I foundThis snugpack underquilt for under $60. That's cheap enough that I won't be testing my sewing skills soon. But my real question is where did you get your pattern
View Quote
No pattern. I just drew up a layout I liked and did the math by volume to get the amount of down per chamber. This is a down top quilt I'm making. It's basically a mummy bag with a sewn foot box and no zipper. It will pack down to about the size of a football and weigh about a pound when finished.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 3:08:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No pattern. I just drew up a layout I liked and did the math by volume to get the amount of down per chamber. This is a down top quilt I'm making. It's basically a mommy bag with a sewn foot box and no zipper. It will pack down to about the size of a football and weigh about a pound when finished.
View Quote
OK, I was thinking underquilt. Still cool though.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 4:20:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I have never made a "QUILT".
But I have all way thought they where very useful.
IMHO: I also thought that a quilt with a
military wool blanket as the backing would/ should be damn warm.
All it should last many generation.
But that is only my 1/2 cent worth.
Keep the hive posted. With pictures!! On how it is going!
Good Luck!!!

PITA45
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 11:02:15 AM EDT
[#7]
My back is feeling better and I have both halves ready to sew together. The mesh baffles are 1.5" and the quilt will be filled with 12oz of 800 fill power duck down. I'll have to do some testing but I'm hoping this quilt will be good down to the mid 30's.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:11:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I sewed the two half's together and started stuffing the down in it last night. I'll post a picture tonight. My back still hurts to bend over the table so I've only been working on it 10min at a time. Hopefully I can test drive it this weekend. 

He is a picture of the vertical baffles meeting the first horizontal baffle.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:33:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I finished up the top quilt and forgot to post a picture. I'm starting another one maybe next week. It's going to be the same, just twice as thick.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:40:04 AM EDT
[#10]
You should use this as the inside of the outer layer.

Of course you would probably have to buy a bunch of long johns and cut them up since I don't think they're going to sell it to you by the yard.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top