Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2017 10:15:46 AM EDT
Are they available?  If so, are they actually functional?

Modern equivalent?

It is the overhead, the netting and the base all-in-one.

HAMMOCK, WITH CANOPY, JUNGLE, M-1965. NSN: 8465-00-782-6723. Specification MIL-H-43132E, superceded by specification A-A-55282:

Link Posted: 7/12/2017 10:59:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Similar but different. You would have to add a rain fly. Warbonnet Ridgerunner bridge hammock.

Link Posted: 7/12/2017 12:52:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, there are many options without the built-in overhead.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 1:41:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Advises that these are from a GI contract over-run...$88 and change

http://www.awsin.com/proddetail.asp?prod=50595
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 8:28:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I do believe REI makes their own quarter dome hammock set up, no idea how good it is however.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 6:07:30 AM EDT
[#5]
The closest to the issue is my older Mosquito Hammock; a little heavier than newer versions, but it also has a separate rain fly:

Mosquito Hammock

Probably the most versatile rendition is the Lawson Hammock:

Lawson Hammock

I prefer a separate rain fly as it's a shelter by itself if needed.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:29:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I got one of the OD Yukon bug netted hammocks for 29$...
It's ok. Lil short compared to my none netted one. But held me and gear just fine....
Till I got the urge to piss at 3 am and spilled my self out of it...bug net can hold a lot of weight fyi.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 1:45:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's ok. Lil short compared to my none netted one. But held me and gear just fine....
Till I got the urge to piss at 3 am and spilled my self out of it...bug net can hold a lot of weight fyi.
View Quote
Hahaha...I'm not laughing at you Protus, I'm laughing with you  Space-bar/spread hammocks seem to have less instability getting in and out of than gathered end hammocks; once in they're pretty solid.  Other than the asymmetrical designs, the spread hammocks do seem more comfortable for side and stomach sleepers.  Gathered end hammocks are really easy to get in and out of, but it does take some practice...not something you want to experiment with at 0300 with mother nature calling

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 8:36:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I had it strung to right as well..lol 
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 6:52:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Same.

IME, get the cheap hammocks and use them until they're toast, then toss em'.

The expensive ones just don't last long enough over the cheap ones to justify the cost.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 7:09:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Hennesey Hammock

Slightly different design, but IMHO radically superior to the original jungle hammock design.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 7:10:26 PM EDT
[#11]
The Hennessy Hammocks come with everything you'd need.  The rain fly is separate, but it is built to work together.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 10:05:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Heh. I'll neither confirm or deny that I've done the same & had the same reaction to it.   It sounds like we've even got the same hammock - did you get yours as a part of a woot deal?

OP - when I was a teenager I went on a weeklong backpacking trip with a guy who slept in one of those jungle hammocks.

Compared to modern commercial hammocks, it's an uncomfortable, heavy, bulky, monstrosity. Get one of the hammocks already suggested in the thread, or one like them.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 7:48:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Heh. I'll neither confirm or deny that I've done the same & had the same reaction to it.   It sounds like we've even got the same hammock - did you get yours as a part of a woot deal?

OP - when I was a teenager I went on a weeklong backpacking trip with a guy who slept in one of those jungle hammocks.

Compared to modern commercial hammocks, it's an uncomfortable, heavy, bulky, monstrosity. Get one of the hammocks already suggested in the thread, or one like them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah. Woot.
Got three non netted ones and one netted.
The non netted ones are the I guess double ones. Big enough to cocoon me inside.
Think I got those at 17$,,,now they don't last long if they get put up there for sale. The rain fly is something I shoulda bought to.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:30:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Hammocks and their rain flys on sale at Woot right now.
Tarp sale ends today..i picked up a green one for 19$.
I coulda built one,,but time vs money vs martial on my end. It was cheaper to buy.

I'll build a big AOR2 one down the road since I'm sitting on 12 yards of it lol 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top