Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2017 8:25:26 PM EDT
I'm looking for a tent that can be used for short backpacking trips (1-2 nights, under 10 miles) in the Texas summer (high's 90-100, lows 70-80). Breathability is key...privacy would be nice. Sized for 1 person + backpack (i.e., "2 person").

Trying to decide between one of the cheaper Big Agnes tents or just going for the REI QuarterDome 2...though the Kelty Horizon 2 looks neat but I don't have a lot of trust.

And I'm exhausted and ranty...suggestions appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 1:06:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Any brand name tent with a lot of mesh should work fine, buy it based on size/weight/price instead. Mesh will breath better than any nylon which is why three season/summer tents keep using more and more mesh.

What is the primary reason for wanting a tent as a shelter? My hot weather/insect setup is this: catoma bed net and a poncho or tarp to string above it in case of rain. Loved that set up in the army and still use with my civilian gear for light weight solo trips. It wont fit your backpack inside with you but I've never done that even when using a regular tent.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 4:19:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2, and the breathability is mainly due to the netting I suspect. In hot weather, I have the rain cover mostly rolled up on the sides so air flow is plentiful. When it's cold or raining, I have enough ventilation when I properly guy out all the lines.

Also, most tent designs include a vestibule for placing gear, so it's not entirely necessary for getting a 2 person tent to fit a pack.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 4:35:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I've gone to a silnylon tarp over a mesh tent and won't even go back.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 5:50:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Specifically what tent?

Also, was this in NY or elsewhere?
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:31:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
How I camp if not in hammock.
But use a got sized but net suspended under and staked to the edges of my ground sheet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top