Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/5/2017 11:50:41 AM EDT
I use an MSR Ceramic non-stick 1.3 L solo pot with a BSR ultra lite stove. I made a video to share how I pack my cooking gear. Please give it a watch, and let me know what you think.
Click here to watch. (link should work now.)

Edit: Whoops, I did not make the video public when I posted it. I should word now.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 5:25:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Video is unavailable.. is it set to unlisted or private?
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 7:01:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, video is jacked.

I can't find the weight of the pot, but ceramic-lined aluminum sounds heavy.  If you were doing actual cooking in your pot, this would be a great choice over titanium.  About the only cooking I can do in titanium cookware is soup; even chili can burn, so it needs to be a very soupy soup.  Cookware is highly dependent on meal choices and methods, so I would be interested in the types of meals you choose for this type of pot.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 7:02:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm pretty sure this is OP's youtube channel, but I don't see anything specific to cook kits: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYxB6MXgLjg4gr8MJ8_ylRA
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 3:56:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, video is jacked.

I can't find the weight of the pot, but ceramic-lined aluminum sounds heavy.  If you were doing actual cooking in your pot, this would be a great choice over titanium.  About the only cooking I can do in titanium cookware is soup; even chili can burn, so it needs to be a very soupy soup.  Cookware is highly dependent on meal choices and methods, so I would be interested in the types of meals you choose for this type of pot.

ROCK6
View Quote
213g or 7.5oz is the weight of the pot. Here are some links to the kind of food I make in this kit:
Beef Stoganoff
Bannock
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 4:01:26 AM EDT
[#5]
It looks like when I originally posted the video, I did not have the video set to public. I updated it, and the video should work now.
Here is the link again.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 2:30:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It looks like when I originally posted the video, I did not have the video set to public. I updated it, and the video should work now.
Here is the link again.
View Quote
I really like the Fosters can wind-screen; that's pretty cool.  I have the same stove when I decide to use the iso-butane fuel canisters.  Most our backpacking cooking is really boiling water for instant/dehydrated meals, and alcohol stoves are just simpler and lighter (AT-type trails).  We combine any spices with our own dehydrated meals...my wife is the dehydrating queen and dehydrates a lot of our left-overs.  One shorter trips or fishing trips, I'll pack along a Purcell Trench Grill and my small carbon-steel skillet for bannock, our chicken fajitas, or a few other meals that actually require cooking but it's easier to cook over hot coals.  

My very boring, but lightweight cooking kit for distance backpacking:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I keep my folding Ti-spoon in my Kit Bag for easy access and stealing my wife's food

Attachment Attached File

My wife's brilliant idea to keep from burning the hell out of your hand is cutting slits on both sides of those silicon short cupcake holders (they look like you're holding a set of teeth when you grip them).  They're light and cover your hand since alcohol stoves aren't too controllable.  Again boring, but the total cook kit weighs 8.5oz and 9oz of alcohol fuel weighs 9.8oz and is good four about 6-7 days depending on how much coffee you want in the morning  Typically we only cook one hot meal a day and it takes a little less than an ounce to boil two cups of water for a dinner and hot drink.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 3:06:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Man that windscreen would scare the hell out of me.
I have the same little stove and always thought that
you wanted to dissipate some of the heat between the
burner and the canister so you don't blow up your ramen.

I have a titanium windscreen from Toaks that I hate.
It's light and packs up nice in my kit but it's like uncoiling
a 2 foot long double sided razor blade.  If I'm backwoods
suturing it's probably Toaks's fault.

Lately I've just been carrying a square of Aluminum foil that
I can box out with a couple of tent stakes if its really windy.

Rock your posts are always informative, a big reason I keep
going back to alcohol ( besides the ones you listed ) they're
so much quieter.  Sometimes I think someone ca hear me firing
up the canister stove a mile away.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 4:04:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have a titanium windscreen from Toaks that I hate.
It's light and packs up nice in my kit but it's like uncoiling
a 2 foot long double sided razor blade.  If I'm backwoods
suturing it's probably Toaks's fault.

Lately I've just been carrying a square of Aluminum foil that
I can box out with a couple of tent stakes if its really windy.

...a big reason I keep
going back to alcohol ( besides the ones you listed ) they're
so much quieter.
View Quote
Yeah, I love the way the Toaks titanium windscreen fits the cook kit, but I had to take a Dremel and dull all the edges...it was like trying to unfold a razor blade!  I do pack extra aluminum foil and honestly, that does very well as a windscreen...my wife forgot her windscreen last trip and so she snagged mine.  Along with the simplicity of alcohol, they are utterly quiet; the only noise is when you use a lighter or spark from a fire steel and when you yell some expletive when you burn your had without a pot grabber

Still the iso-butane stoves are convenient and fast.  I just find I prefer alcohol for long distances and trips.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 3:47:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I really like the Fosters can wind-screen; that's pretty cool.  I have the same stove when I decide to use the iso-butane fuel canisters.  Most our backpacking cooking is really boiling water for instant/dehydrated meals, and alcohol stoves are just simpler and lighter (AT-type trails).  We combine any spices with our own dehydrated meals...my wife is the dehydrating queen and dehydrates a lot of our left-overs.  One shorter trips or fishing trips, I'll pack along a Purcell Trench Grill and my small carbon-steel skillet for bannock, our chicken fajitas, or a few other meals that actually require cooking but it's easier to cook over hot coals.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2353/Cook-Kit-and-Fuel-255550.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2353/Cook-Kit-255551.JPG

I keep my folding Ti-spoon in my Kit Bag for easy access and stealing my wife's food

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2353/Kit-Bag-255552.JPG

My wife's brilliant idea to keep from burning the hell out of your hand is cutting slits on both sides of those silicon short cupcake holders (they look like you're holding a set of teeth when you grip them).  They're light and cover your hand since alcohol stoves aren't too controllable.  Again boring, but the total cook kit weighs 8.5oz and 9oz of alcohol fuel weighs 9.8oz and is good four about 6-7 days depending on how much coffee you want in the morning  Typically we only cook one hot meal a day and it takes a little less than an ounce to boil two cups of water for a dinner and hot drink.

ROCK6
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here is the link again.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2353/Cook-Kit-and-Fuel-255550.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2353/Cook-Kit-255551.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2353/Kit-Bag-255552.JPG

ROCK6
That looks like a solid kit for a through hike, or a section hike. Most of my trips are just over nite, and trying to make half way decent food is part of the fun.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 5:46:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I use to have a pocket rocket, but I've gone over to the all in one systems. Currently on the Jetboil MiniMo. Pretty wind resistant and boils a cup of water in 2-3 minutes depending on ambient temps.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:51:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I use to have a pocket rocket, but I've gone over to the all in one systems. Currently on the Jetboil MiniMo. Pretty wind resistant and boils a cup of water in 2-3 minutes depending on ambient temps.
View Quote
I've been eyeing that stove with the fancy French press kit, weight be damned.  (I love my coffee)   My stove is an older white gas MSR, so I'm currently in the market.  I bought a BRS titanium stove that is still on a container ship on the way from china. Made a coke can alcohol stove the other night, but I'm still on the fence.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 6:23:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Lil orange chiba stove. 
How ya like yours..my piezo broke off mine. No biggie. But I need a fuel can to test it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 3:22:32 PM EDT
[#14]
My go-to solo setup these days is a homemade beer can alcohol stove on an esbit stand, with a tin foil wind screen. I use a little 1L Amazon pot with a tin foil lid.
I'll grab a couple pics in a bit.

Quoted:
Lil orange chiba stove. 
How ya like yours..my piezo broke off mine. No biggie. But I need a fuel can to test it.
View Quote
The little Amazon / Chinese / Etekcity isobutane stove? I actually like mine. It doesn't seem to burn as evenly as my MSR pocket rocket, but it's also smaller and lighter. The piezo starter has worked fine so far. They're cheap enough to toss one in everyone's pack as spares.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:42:26 AM EDT
[#15]
I tend to keep it lightweight and simple.

The cup is a lightweight collapsible Swedish one.

Link Posted: 8/4/2017 1:04:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Titanium Volcano stove works great too with just a few sticks.

I have cooked a TON of meals, and coffee, cocoa, tea etc, etc on it.

It weighs next to nothing, rolls flat and fuel  is virtually everywhere.

Plus there are few things as relaxing and re-energizing as a hot cup of coffee over a small fire on a cold winter hunt, half way up a mountain in the Rockies.

Link Posted: 8/4/2017 1:06:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Alcohol Cat stoves work too for ultralight

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top