Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2017 11:34:27 AM EDT
The tick population this year is insane, so I'm treating all my backpacking clothes with permethrin.

In the past, I've used Sawyer's spray bottle (0.5%). But I'm thinking of getting the 10% stuff they have on Amazon and diluting it down for a soak. Does anyone have experience with the soak method and can share?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 12:20:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I use spray to but I'm sure the soak method is much more efficient. I'll probably do that this year too. I don't think there is much too it. Run a rinse cycle on your clothes and dump a proportional amount of premithium into the cycle. Throw it in the dryer and your GTG.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 1:33:15 PM EDT
[#2]
You'll have to search, but there was a recent thread on this (last couple days).

Posters noted that you may get fewer smells if you use a permethrin concentrate that is NOT diluted with "other petroleum distillates" as noted on the bottle. Some were of the opinion that the sprays had better staying-power in clothing, because it was formulated to bond with fabric (this was speculation/anecdotal).

I've used the soak method with a concentrate with petroleum products making up the inactive ingredients, and it only had a faint odor after drying. I never washed them enough myself to determine if they had better or worse longevity than a spray.

That said, be VERY careful when handling the stuff, and look online for calculators that will get you the right concentration from whatever you are starting with. Concentration, the molar mass of permethrin itself, and simple arithmetic errors (0.5% vs decimal 0.005!) could be a waste, stink, or maybe make you sick.

Check your math and be immediately skeptical of anyone saying "dude, just dilute x into y and you're good to go"!
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 1:45:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I tried it on a couple pairs of pants. The only thing it did was cause the ticks to accelerate rapidly toward your crotch region.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 7:51:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought permethrin was supposed to kill ticks on contact?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:45:54 PM EDT
[#5]
It doesn't our kind of ticks, It may make them feel a bit dizzy, but mostly it just makes them crawl a lot faster toward their intended target . . . your scrotum.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:52:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use spray to but I'm sure the soak method is much more efficient. I'll probably do that this year too. I don't think there is much too it. Run a rinse cycle on your clothes and dump a proportional amount of premithium into the cycle. Throw it in the dryer and your GTG.
View Quote
Now sense your soaking them this may not matter!
But I sprayed mine this year a bit heavy!
So I call Sawyer's. Seam I put it on a bit thick. Which was OK!
Ask them about throwing in to the drier!
So I could wear them the next day!
Sawyer told me that was not a good idea! To heat up dryer!
Then put clothes inside with dryer off!
But that was Sawyer sprayed on. Not soaked!!!

PITA45
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 7:14:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
I can't speak for Hungarian ticks, but all the ticks I've encountered between Massachusetts and Texas don't like permathine. Large quantities will kill them immediately (and may be bad for humans). Small quantities will make you an unpleasant target for ticks and they'll go find something more tasty (like deer).

I also treat all of my cloths, pants and shirts. Maybe if you just treat the cuffs of your boots the ticks might move towards your junk, but I've never had that problem.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:15:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I love the stuff.  The ticks and chiggers have been really bad here in middle TN.

Permethrin is interesting stuff.  It is a nerve toxin and kills arachnids (ticks and chiggers are arachnids) like mad but safe for humans.  You would have to take a bath in the stuff to have bad effects.  When they say permithrin bases lice cream is safe for pregnant women to use you know the stuff is pretty benign to humans.   Don't get it on your cat or in your fish tank but you would have to do some pretty stupid stuff with it to poison yourself.

It does seem to work faster on the big ticks.  I have watch it kill the big ticks crawling across my treated pant leg.  The small ones don't seem effected as quickly but it does kill them if they stay on your treated cloths long enough.  I have had one tick on me this year after many days hunting turkey this spring and working the food plots.

I don't mess with the concentrate that seems mostly for treating yards and crops.  I just use the Sawyers brand and spray a heavy coat on my cloths, boots and hat a day or two before I head out into the woods.  You can get two packs of the Sawyers spray from Amazon pretty cheap and free shipping with Prime.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:48:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Permethrin works great. My only experience is with the sawyer spray though and I don't follow the directions and apply to my clothes whilst wearing them.

It is deadly to cats (my understanding is they have some gene that mutated making them susceptible to it) and fish. It is Ok for dogs and birds. They actually make a powder meant for sprinkling on chickens to kill mites. I used it on my pigeon when I found him as a stray and it worked very well (the vet actually gave me dog frontline (which also has permethrin IIRC) to use but it wasn't working too well just dabbing his back).
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 9:08:32 AM EDT
[#10]
I just hang mine up on the line and spray them and let them hang dry. Works fine for me.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 10:00:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
I bought some of the concentrated stuff for treating horse stalls at Tractor Supply and mixed it up to spray all of my hunting clothes. I was turkey hunting and watched a tic crawl up my leg and die. I also found a tick on my dog and sprayed some on a Q-Tip and stuck it to the tick and it died and fell off.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 11:18:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You'll have to search, but there was a recent thread on this (last couple days).

Posters noted that you may get fewer smells if you use a permethrin concentrate that is NOT diluted with "other petroleum distillates" as noted on the bottle. Some were of the opinion that the sprays had better staying-power in clothing, because it was formulated to bond with fabric (this was speculation/anecdotal).

I've used the soak method with a concentrate with petroleum products making up the inactive ingredients, and it only had a faint odor after drying. I never washed them enough myself to determine if they had better or worse longevity than a spray.

That said, be VERY careful when handling the stuff, and look online for calculators that will get you the right concentration from whatever you are starting with. Concentration, the molar mass of permethrin itself, and simple arithmetic errors (0.5% vs decimal 0.005!) could be a waste, stink, or maybe make you sick.

Check your math and be immediately skeptical of anyone saying "dude, just dilute x into y and you're good to go"!
View Quote
Interesting.  I soaked some synthetic socks once and they came out smelling like that smell of old screwdriver handles.  I guess it's the interaction of petroleum distillates.

The problem with spraying is what you lose in overspray, but it's easier than soaking.  The military kits use soaking and say to do it for 3 hours.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 11:20:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
I read a study that stated they died after crawling about 3 feet on treated cloth.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 11:28:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Any other options for those of us with cats?  My kids have both gotten ticks on them already this year and I would like to be able to put something on their clothes when playing outside. Of course being 7 and 5 those clothes usually end up on the floor, and we have two indoor/outdoor cats that they play with constantly.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 11:34:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Any other options for those of us with cats?  My kids have both gotten ticks on them already this year and I would like to be able to put something on their clothes when playing outside. Of course being 7 and 5 those clothes usually end up on the floor, and we have two indoor/outdoor cats that they play with constantly.
View Quote
You might try to figure out what the active ingredient is in cat frontline and see if someone makes a spray that uses that. I've heard of long distance hikers actually using flea collars in some manner (cutting them up and tying them places maybe - I can't recall exactly how they use them) Cats' susceptibility to permethrin is no joke though. My buddy's cat had a siezure just from rubbing against his treated boots. Cat was ok after a time though.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 12:03:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
We were having trouble with ticks coming in on the dogs.  June must be the breeding season for ticks.  A couple of years ago, we started putting a Bayer Seresto collar on the big dog and it keeps the fleas and ticks off the little dogs too and we're not finding as many in the yard.  They also make a Seresto for cats.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 9:19:08 AM EDT
[#17]
I just bought a combo pack from Bioshield.  It's natural and safe.  It came with a topical spray, body wash, and laundry detergent.  I have only used the spray so far that seems to work..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XWCQG8G?tag=vglnk-c102-20
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 9:50:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
It will also kill some mammals dead right quick too. Cats, but also others.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 12:38:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Field report from soaking:

Got Martin's 10% Permethrin on Amazon, diluted it to 0.5% (0.64 fl oz in 1 gallon water) and soaked my clothes in it for an hour. Then let it hang to dry. No smells, and it worked great on my hike through the woods this weekend; not a single tick on me.

Still no idea how long it'll last, but this method is dirt cheap compared to the Sawyer spray (which I still use on my dog).
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 8:25:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Field report from soaking:

Got Martin's 10% Permethrin on Amazon, diluted it to 0.5% (0.64 fl oz in 1 gallon water) and soaked my clothes in it for an hour. Then let it hang to dry. No smells, and it worked great on my hike through the woods this weekend; not a single tick on me.

Still no idea how long it'll last, but this method is dirt cheap compared to the Sawyer spray (which I still use on my dog).
View Quote
Your calculations are off. Should be 6.4 oz of 10% permethrin per gallon to get a 0.5% solution. If you only used .64oz, then you got lucky and should retreat your clothing.

But yes, it is much cheaper than Sawyer and I believe the Martin's label also has mixing instructions for using it on horses, cattle, and dogs, so you can still mix some up and spray your dog with it (not for use on cats though!). I've been using the Martin's (water based and no petroleum distillates) for years and haven't had a single tick, flea or chigger.

I spray my clothing (and my wife's) every 30 days although it probably is effective for longer than that. Using the Martin's makes it cheap enough to not worry about it. The quart bottle will last for a couple years.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 11:18:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Permetherin is fricken magic for keeping ticks off of you.  If treated right, they will fall off before they even make it up your leg.  In the last three years I haven't found a single tick on me - hiking hundreds of miles in the Appalachian mtns - and having other people in my party who did get ticks. 

I like spray, but I did buy some concentrate.  There are also places you can find online where you can mail your clothes and have them professionally treated.

Also highly recommend boxer briefs and or compression shorts to keep everything away from your nether regions. 
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 12:58:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Your calculations are off. Should be 6.4 oz of 10% permethrin per gallon to get a 0.5% solution. If you only used .64oz, then you got lucky and should retreat your clothing.

But yes, it is much cheaper than Sawyer and I believe the Martin's label also has mixing instructions for using it on horses, cattle, and dogs, so you can still mix some up and spray your dog with it (not for use on cats though!). I've been using the Martin's (water based and no petroleum distillates) for years and haven't had a single tick, flea or chigger.

I spray my clothing (and my wife's) every 30 days although it probably is effective for longer than that. Using the Martin's makes it cheap enough to not worry about it. The quart bottle will last for a couple years.
View Quote
Ahhh whoops. I calculated from 100% concentrate instead of 10% concentrate. 
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 6:38:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Ahhh whoops. I calculated from 100% concentrate instead of 10% concentrate. 
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:22:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Mil kits available on eBay for cheap.  Work like a champ.  You soak with those kits; comes with bag, concentrate, gloves, string to tie your rolled up pant/shirt.  Add water to concentrate, shake, soak for 3 hours, hang dry
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 1:54:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Wife is really into the essential oils and looked up an alternative to chemicals for the kids and the cats. Apparently a mix of Lemongrass and Peppermint into a spray will do the trick. I'll get back after I've had a chance to test it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:48:43 PM EDT
[#26]
I too use the Sawyer spray on one on my hunting clothes.
I put the clothes in a big plastic clothes bin and spray heavy both sides.  Then I put in the next item and spray both sides, etc. until everything in sprayed heavy and in the bin.  Then I close the bin and put it in my garage for couple days until everything is soaked in to fabric and everything is dry.  I don't put it in the dryer.  After I wear it, I wash it in washing machine and then hang dry.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:10:41 AM EDT
[#27]
I just did the 10% stuff off Amazon and diluted it down to around .6% or so. Then I soaked my clothes in the mix, both in sealed gallon size freezer ziplocs. After that, I squeezed them out and hung them to dry in our garage. The next day, the clothes were dried out.

I tested them on Mt Hood about a week later and wasn't hit by mosquitoes, but there weren't many to begin with.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 2:02:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top