Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2017 6:56:29 AM EDT
So, we don't really have a sub-forum on clothing, and outdoors clothing various so much dependent on locations, season, climate, activity, personal preference, etc., and I wanted to narrow the discussion to backpacking. Again, these definitions can vary as well, but I’m interested in those who typically do 10-12+miles per day for 5+day trips. Since locations and seasons vary, I’m looking at 30-90 degrees; knowing weather/climate, elevation, and terrain make a significant impact. At lower temps, you’re either moving or you’re briefly “static” when setting up your shelter, fixing a quick meal, and then changing into sleep clothes and sleeping system.

So, for my choices I vary depending on the seasonal temperature ranges. The challenges are both moisture management and thermoregulation. When temperatures, sun exposure, precipitation, humidity, and wind all fluctuate to some degree daily, your added aerobic exertion as well as periodic breaks make that moisture management and thermoregulation the real challenge.

I’m curious about choices for core (upper body) mid-layers. I’m a hot hiker. I can put on a damp merino wool T-shirt when it’s 45-50 degrees as long as I’m on the trail and moving to warm up. If temps are still cool and I’m static for more than 15-20 minutes, I do feel a significant cool down/chill, especially if it’s windy. For colder temps (30 degrees or just those extended cold mornings), I’m considering a breathable wind-shirt or a microgrid pullover top. Both dry relatively quickly, but the wind-shirt would likely do better with the higher humidity we face down here. When static of course, I can pull on my rain shell or if it’s colder weather, I’ll have a long-sleeve shirt and/or a puffy vest/jacket.

Some options I'm going to try out:

Patagonia Houdini pullover
Outdoor Research Ferrosi Windshirt
Patagonia R1 pullover (for colder months)
Lukesultralight...either his Argon or Epsilon wind shells (once he's recovered from injury and back on the stitching machine)

So, what do you use for your moisture management and thermoregulation for those high aerobic/exertion activities when temps are colder or just take longer to warm up?

ROCK6
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 3:13:55 PM EDT
[#1]
The last time I camped in less than 80F was in the Boy Scouts and only remember having cotton-everything lol.

Here is SoFla the challenge is to stay cool, which I think I FINALLY figured out.

Anyway I'm posting to mention this guy's book which I've been reading: Ultimate Hiker's Gear Guide 2nd Ed, Andrew Skurka

His input on clothing seems pretty sound compared to my limited experiences.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 6:44:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Andrew Skurka is spot on with most of his recommendations as he does backpacking and adventure racing as an occupation  His opinions are highly valued...
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 9:40:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Tagged for replies. I don't have a good solution for this, either.

I usually just wear some sort of long-sleeved wicking shirt on cold mornings, maybe with a t-shirt on over it for some extra core warming. My current favorite is a wool/poly 1/4-zip that I got from Sam's Club, of all places. This setup doesn't block any wind though (maybe even increases the effect of wind), so it sucks for hiking on windy mornings: I can either freeze in just the shirt, sweat inside my rain shell, or sweat through my down jacket. This setup also sucks on those days when it's 35 in the morning and 75 in the afternoon, or when it's hot while hiking in the sun then freezing while resting in the shade. I've used my rain shell to keep warm while static, but my base layer won't dry that way. No good solutions.
The microgrid fleece looks interesting - I hadn't seen that before. I've pretty much removed fleece from my backpacking setup due to size and weight.

I ordered a Patagonia Houdini last week, hoping that will fill the gap a bit. It'll get a good test in Sequoia and Kings Canyon NPs later this month. I'll let you know.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 6:42:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tagged for replies. I don't have a good solution for this, either.

I usually just wear some sort of long-sleeved wicking shirt on cold mornings, maybe with a t-shirt on over it for some extra core warming. My current favorite is a wool/poly 1/4-zip that I got from Sam's Club, of all places. This setup doesn't block any wind though (maybe even increases the effect of wind), so it sucks for hiking on windy mornings: I can either freeze in just the shirt, sweat inside my rain shell, or sweat through my down jacket. This setup also sucks on those days when it's 35 in the morning and 75 in the afternoon, or when it's hot while hiking in the sun then freezing while resting in the shade. I've used my rain shell to keep warm while static, but my base layer won't dry that way. No good solutions.
The microgrid fleece looks interesting - I hadn't seen that before. I've pretty much removed fleece from my backpacking setup due to size and weight.

I ordered a Patagonia Houdini last week, hoping that will fill the gap a bit. It'll get a good test in Sequoia and Kings Canyon NPs later this month. I'll let you know.
View Quote
I think you understand the challenge.  I know this isn't rocket science, but I'm certain several have had to deal with this issue so there are some solutions better than others.  Different conditions also have significant impacts.  I think the hardest part is to keep weight at a minimum but still trying to cover the largest spectrum of temperature changes and the affects of humidity, precipitation, and wind...all while going from high exertion activities to static, periodic breaks.  

I recently picked up a Houdini pullover and I really like the design.  I need for it to cool off, but the weight and wind protection may be the ticket.  With even a little DWR finish, it will work well enough in light rains, but I'll have to really see how it does when cold with higher humidity.

The Microgrid concept is sound, but temps really need to be cooler.  I do like that the fleece dries quickly, but if there is a lot of precipitation, you still need a shell.  I really see this choice for colder, desert climates or even snow conditions with low humidity.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 7:13:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm in TX, so winter is a joke.  Non mil clothing involves a silk weight thermal a regular wicking type shirt, a North face polar ball and a light shell if needed.  I am messing around with North face reactor hoodie, but it's more geared towards warmer temps and workouts.
I have the ferossi pants, the hoodie looks solid.  

The snow rucking I have done, I was able to get away with a thermal and shirt only to strike the temp balance and not pour sweat.  I then add a Thermo ball or layers when stopped.
ETA, it's true but I have had to go around to learn it.  Layers is the best way.    Then I can mix a few layers to find the right balance.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 2:58:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm in TX, so winter is a joke.
View Quote
I would be interested how you systems work.  I'm not sure where you're at in TX, but when I was stationed in central TX, the seasonal changes are exactly the type of conditions I'm interested in.  You can get a drastic change in temps, high winds; if you add precipitation, you can be in hypothermic conditions in even "comfortable" temperatures.  Most people understand their local winter conditions and are often prepared.  What gets most people in trouble are the transition of spring and fall seasons where the ranges of temps and weather conditions can vary rapidly and often drastically.  There is no magical piece of clothing, but I think technology is really making some layers versatile and focused on very aerobic, high-perspiration activities which is where I think you get your most weight savings for the performance.  

Durability and robustness are valid concerns, but I'm not looking to low-crawl through a thorn patch during a sleet storm and high winds.  More applicable activities would be running, hiking/backpacking, biking; and I think there is some valid use for some bug-home applications or even integration with the more robust field-wear and activities.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 7:13:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I have been hiking in OR Ferrossi pants and a Mt Hardwear Canyon shirt lately. Highly recommend both. Typically just use a shirt that has 30% or less cotton for an undershirt to wick moisture.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 12:15:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have been hiking in OR Ferrossi pants and a Mt Hardwear Canyon shirt lately. Highly recommend both. Typically just use a shirt that has 30% or less cotton for an undershirt to wick moisture.
View Quote
Same deal here.... I stopped wearing 'shorts' years ago.

100% nylon UPF 50+ long sleeve pants and shirt. Wicks moisture very well and dries quickly. Excellent sun protection, almost 100% mosquito proof. Extra long pants keep rocks, dirt, etc. out of boots. Good wind protection. The spreading of moisture and drying quickly keeps you cool when hot but at the same time keeps you warm in the cooler temps because it is not wet.

Link Posted: 7/8/2017 12:30:47 PM EDT
[#9]
The Patagonia R1 is great piece of gear

A thin "performance" base layer under that and you'll be GTG (if you're actually moving around) in temps well into the 30s.

I backcountry ski with that setup + a shell into the teens, but I have a down jacket in my backpack for when I stop.

One key thing about the R1 hoody is the super long chest zip that allows you to dump heat easily
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 8:00:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

100% nylon UPF 50+ long sleeve pants and shirt. Wicks moisture very well and dries quickly. Excellent sun protection, almost 100% mosquito proof. Extra long pants keep rocks, dirt, etc. out of boots. Good wind protection. The spreading of moisture and drying quickly keeps you cool when hot but at the same time keeps you warm in the cooler temps because it is not wet.

http://desertpine.net/images/pants.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

http://desertpine.net/images/pants.jpg
Most of the synthetics (non-fleece or without some wind-blocker)) offer excellent wind protection.  Quick drying and blocking wind have proven pretty valuable in my layering system.  I still hike in shorts and a short sleeve shirt as my base layer, but it's a different environment than the higher deserts out West.  Having been out there, back-country activities really do require full covering clothes as sun exposure is often far more serious.  I don't recall mosquitos as very bad, but having also spent time up around British Columbia and my native state of Washington, full length clothing is also essential.  Location does make a difference, but the performance of clothing is relatively the same for similar activities.

I get a discount on OR and recently picked up a pair of their Voodoo Pants (similar material as the Ferrosi) and simply love the feel and stretch.  They are very much like a soft-shell material.

Quoted:
The Patagonia R1 is great piece of gear

A thin "performance" base layer under that and you'll be GTG (if you're actually moving around) in temps well into the 30s.

I backcountry ski with that setup + a shell into the teens, but I have a down jacket in my backpack for when I stop.

One key thing about the R1 hoody is the super long chest zip that allows you to dump heat easily
I have the R1 pullover without the hood and really like the fit and feel.  It's very similar to the issued waffle-patterned thermals in my previous RFI issued clothing for tours to Iraq and Afghanistan...actually very similar.  I really see this as a very effective active cold weather layer. Interestingly enough I recently picked up a Brooks running wind-shell that has a fleece waffle pattern welded to the inside of the jacket.  The purpose is similar to the R1, but also to keep the "stickier" shell from sticking to your sweating body.    

Speaking of hoods, what are the hive's thoughts on base or mid-layers with hoods?  I have a few, but find them bulky when I do have to layer or just not used and excess weight.  I prefer a merino or fleece watch cap and since I have hoods on my outer shells, I haven't needed hoods on my other layers unless I'm really hitting temps below freezing.  For more static or much colder weather activities, I like having hooded layers; everything else, I could do without.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 10:53:48 AM EDT
[#11]
My R1 has a hood.. I really like thin hoods that fit under helmets
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 7:23:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Love my R1; almost too warm. Got the half zip for extra ventilation.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 6:33:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Most of the synthetics (non-fleece or without some wind-blocker)) offer excellent wind protection.  Quick drying and blocking wind have proven pretty valuable in my layering system.  I still hike in shorts and a short sleeve shirt as my base layer, but it's a different environment than the higher deserts out West.  Having been out there, back-country activities really do require full covering clothes as sun exposure is often far more serious.  I don't recall mosquitos as very bad, but having also spent time up around British Columbia and my native state of Washington, full length clothing is also essential.  Location does make a difference, but the performance of clothing is relatively the same for similar activities.

I get a discount on OR and recently picked up a pair of their Voodoo Pants (similar material as the Ferrosi) and simply love the feel and stretch.  They are very much like a soft-shell material.

I have the R1 pullover without the hood and really like the fit and feel.  It's very similar to the issued waffle-patterned thermals in my previous RFI issued clothing for tours to Iraq and Afghanistan...actually very similar.  I really see this as a very effective active cold weather layer. Interestingly enough I recently picked up a Brooks running wind-shell that has a fleece waffle pattern welded to the inside of the jacket.  The purpose is similar to the R1, but also to keep the "stickier" shell from sticking to your sweating body.    

Speaking of hoods, what are the hive's thoughts on base or mid-layers with hoods?  I have a few, but find them bulky when I do have to layer or just not used and excess weight.  I prefer a merino or fleece watch cap and since I have hoods on my outer shells, I haven't needed hoods on my other layers unless I'm really hitting temps below freezing.  For more static or much colder weather activities, I like having hooded layers; everything else, I could do without.

ROCK6
View Quote
How did the sizing on the pants work out for you?  I know that OR tends to fit more athletic with some of their apparel.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:56:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

How did the sizing on the pants work out for you?  I know that OR tends to fit more athletic with some of their apparel.
View Quote
OR fits me pretty good.  I have a short inseam (30"), and while I have more of a body-builder frame, not the youthful, svelte runners frame from 30 years ago, they fit quite well.  The stretch actually provide a lot of give gives a lot more comfort.  I have a butt and larger thighs, so the typical, athletic, thin sizing really doesn't work for me very well either.  If these weren't gusseted or stretch material, they would probably not be too comfortable.  They aren't tight at all, but they stretch quite well when moving around.

I noticed the .mil, they have a good .mil/professional discount and if they don't fit well, their return policy is good.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 11:08:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

OR fits me pretty good.  I have a short inseam (30"), and while I have more of a body-builder frame, not the youthful, svelte runners frame from 30 years ago, they fit quite well.  The stretch actually provide a lot of give gives a lot more comfort.  I have a butt and larger thighs, so the typical, athletic, thin sizing really doesn't work for me very well either.  If these weren't gusseted or stretch material, they would probably not be too comfortable.  They aren't tight at all, but they stretch quite well when moving around.

I noticed the .mil, they have a good .mil/professional discount and if they don't fit well, their return policy is good.

ROCK6
View Quote
Voodoo's are great pants. I have the 32 in inseam, 34 in waist. Fit great, not too tight, not loose at all. Material is pretty windproof and does have a napped interior so some comfort in cold weather. I slid down a rocky, snow covered slope in CO once on a hike and they survived even as thin as they are. Also used under shell panks skiing.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:29:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

ROCK6
View Quote
Oh yeah, I love their pro deal!

So, I normally wear a 34W.  MR in military terms.  I read some of the reviews that they fit small, that some users who were 34s are going with 32s.  What did you end up doing if you don't mind?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top