Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2017 11:47:12 PM EDT
I'm over the tent camping stage, something about 3 blown discs in my lower back not agreeing with sleeping on the ground.
We picked up a really clean Shadow Cruiser pop up for the truck, took it out once and it did quite nicely.
But we are definitely rookies at the camper thing and it is different than a backpacking load.
Of those here that roll with a truck camper, what's your minimum equipment /load out list?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:56:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Start with getting out of bed...  What do you need?

I'm going to have breakfast...so I need foods, and cooking stuff, and cleanup stuff....

First get a notepad.  

Then go out and do it.  Every time you go you'll think of new stuff to bring and stuff to leave.

It's the only way.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:43:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

First get a notepad.  

Then go out and do it.  Every time you go you'll think of new stuff to bring and stuff to leave.

It's the only way.
View Quote
This is what we did after a few trips we had what we needed . Truck campers are tight you still need to figure out what not to bring also.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 6:51:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Think camping gear but go luxury instead of lightweight. You have better food storage options, better cooking options if you have a stove in it, better cookware options. I would keep it close to the same as my standard backpacking loadout minus the stuff that the camper offers if it were me. Basically ditch from your pack everything the camper offers and then take it for a weekend trial run. You will see what you don't need to bring and find things you wish you had. Adjust from there.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 3:04:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'm going to have breakfast...so I need foods, and cooking stuff, and cleanup stuff....

First get a notepad.  

It's the only way.
View Quote
Yep.  The rest works itself out.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:49:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got an older checklist in Excel that I used to keep with my VW Westy before I sold it; you're welcome to a copy if you want  Like any list it's a guide, not an absolute and can be modified for season, your taste, number/age of people, where you're going or what activities you plan to engage in (i.e. I always carried a mt bike but only sometimes had the kayak or fishing gear), etc.

In addition to the Westy, I've usually had a pickup with a camper shell that I kept at least partially set up for camping (or bugout if you want to think of it that way).  At most any given time it has an inflatable insulated sleeping pad, sleeping bag, some sheets/blanket (because that's more comfortable in the summer), pillow, tool bag, GI shovel, first aid kit, at least one kite (I like flying stunt kites), at least one tripod, a tarp and stuff to attach it to my truck, a large piece of mosquito netting to drape over the back if I want to leave it open and a basic kitchen setup in a smaller Rubbermaid box that can also be used as a wash basin (although there's also a collapsible Sea to Summit sink).  In the "kitchen" box there's a Jetboil and fuel cartridge and cookset, basic utensils/cooking stuff including some spices/oil/etc.  There's also a box with basic camping supplies like firestarters, matches, paracord, biodegradable soap, Black Diamond lantern, etc.  It's easy to load up on stuff and add a lot more weight than you realize so I still use a lot of lightweight gear and if you plan it right you can make stuff fill more than one role.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:24:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I put two 18" or so pieces of scrap 3/4 ply across the bed rails/ cap base, held on with c clamps. Gives me 36 to 40" of space to store stuff overhead when I sleep in the truck bed. Keep heavy stuff below when moving., lighter stuff on top.Eyebolts thru plywood and bungees to secure things.Couple cheap workout mats and a self inflating mat for under sleeping bags.

2 7 or 8 gal water jugs, lanterns, stove.
Camp and trap this way a lot. Milk crates to store traps. Lots of HD bags, paper towels, wet wipes, hand sanitizer, sometimes fishing gear, couple 120 qt coolers.

8' crew cab, and I have to exhale completely to get in truck when it's loaded!
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:26:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm over the tent camping stage, something about 3 blown discs in my lower back not agreeing with sleeping on the ground.
We picked up a really clean Shadow Cruiser pop up for the truck, took it out once and it did quite nicely.
But we are definitely rookies at the camper thing and it is different than a backpacking load.
Of those here that roll with a truck camper, what's your minimum equipment /load out list?

Thanks
View Quote

What did you take before? Take everything still. You still need it all. You are just getting rid of the tent. I have a 5th wheel, it just helped me take more...
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 2:17:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

First get a notepad.  

It's the only way.
View Quote
Had a truck camper for 20 years now have a 32' trailer.  Mainsail is right GET a NOTEPAD.  Ever time I go on a trip I realize I need __________________.
Also use it to make a checklist for your load outs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top