Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2017 5:36:35 PM EDT
I have been eating a lot of mountain house blueberry and granola meals since they do not require heating. I would love it if I never had to cook anything while hiking.

I know Mountain house hot meals can be dehydrated with cold water, but I am looking for other people's ideas for meals that are good when served cold. I don't think the Mt House Spaghetti or Stroanoff qualifies:).

My wife has a dehydrator and is doing soups, but I'm trying to think of other ideas.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 6:39:22 PM EDT
[#1]
don't you heat up water for your coffee?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:18:43 PM EDT
[#2]
How long are you out for and how concerned about weight are you?

There are all different types of pre-cooked pouched meats that come flavored even, such as chicken, tuna, salmon, shredded beef, heck ive even seen carnitas. from 2oz sizes on up.  Baby bell cheeses do not need to be refrigerated.  Bring tortillas or keebler club crackers and a oreo individual pack for dessert and maybe some packets of taco bell hot sauce if you do the beef or carnitas.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:38:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Cold fried chicken with biscuits for 1st meal. You can freeze the chicken if it will thaw in time.

Beef Jerky afterward.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:39:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:41:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Salami, cheese, bread and condiment packets = sandwiches
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:16:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Everything tastes better when camping.

I've made a mean wrap from flour tortillas, pouch tuna, string cheese, and tomato paste in a tube.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:20:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Condiment packets = good idea.

Tabasco Sauce.

Summer Sausage & your favorite crackers.

Peanut Butter, Bread, Condiment Packet Jelly.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:42:22 PM EDT
[#8]
All good ideas. Mt house used to make chicken salad "wrap" meals that did not need heating, but it looks like they've been discontinued. You just added the filling to a tortilla.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:04:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Salami, hard cheese, etc
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:38:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Dried smoked fish and meat.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:46:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Salami, hard cheese, etc
View Quote
And peanut butter.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:56:13 PM EDT
[#12]
An onion
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:07:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
An onion
View Quote
not far off from that is prebake a potato at home.. then wrap it up.  have it cold on the trail or when you get to camp!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:22:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Sammiches.  Lunchmeat, cheese, condiments, lettuce, maters.................That is if you can take a cooler with you.  I wouldn't camp with any less.  

Separate cooler for beer.  Maybe two for his and hers beers.  Make sure you have enough beers.  
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 2:09:10 AM EDT
[#15]
https://www.packitgourmet.com

They have some cold meals available. 
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 2:37:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Listen to the Gritty Bowman podcasts with the nutritionist who makes "Heather's Choice". Lots of good ideas for dehydrated meals from gourmet type stuff that sounds delicious.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 10:40:44 PM EDT
[#17]
When I'm trying to get a lot of miles in, I'll make a breakfast drink by mixing two Starbucks instant lattes and two carnation instant breakfasts (vanilla for me) with 20ish oz of water in a Nalgene.  You could also mix in protein powder or other supplements if you wanted. 

This way you can eat your breakfast and have your coffee while on the move.  It tastes really good too. 
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 11:44:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Salami, hard cheese, etc
View Quote
This + flour tortilla.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:38:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This + flour tortilla.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Salami, hard cheese, etc
This + flour tortilla.
small jar of PB + flour tortillas & little packets of jelly from Sams/costco or restaurant supply store
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 3:50:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Dried smoked fish
View Quote
Strips . . .

/homerdrool.jpg

Babybel cheese, reindeer sausage, crackers, make some turkey veggie cheese wraps,fruit(also dried mango strips[homer.jpg]), PBJ, yoghurt(Parfait). Some stuff needs to be eaten the first or second day out.

I have been enjoying Medaglia D'Oro coffee powder. I actually like it and I sometimes just have a cup of that if I don't have a thermos full of hot coffee for lunchtime. I liked it much better than the instant Starbucks and Safeway options for quick and dirty camp coffee.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top