Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2017 8:08:53 AM EDT
Who here runs Osprey Packs? I use a Maxpedition Condor II for my range bag and have for ten years and have a few 5.11 RUSH 12s floating around in vehicles etc for go bags. However, I am looking at a more dedicated day hike pack and overnight camping pack and ran across the Osprey Skarab 32.

Any suggestions, recommendations etc on the Osprey packs verses something like a 5.11 for my needs?

Osprey Pack
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 8:48:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I have 3 Osprey packs. I am very happy with them.

I used one bicycle commuting for a while in all kinds of weather. It held up great, but I broke a buckle because I compressed it too tight.

Contacted Osprey and they send me half a dozen or so free of charge.

Good company, good gear. Would absolutely buy again.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 9:00:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Great packs and company. Never had to use it but I understand they have superb customer support.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 9:09:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I typically don't care for "sheet-framed" packs when considering weights over 20 pounds, but Osprey packs are some of the better off-the-shelf packs on the market.  My go-to day hiking pack is an older Osprey Manta (also about 30 liters):

They have some of the better features for backpacks.  For this size, I could easily make it a 1-2 night load for 2-season use.  Weight is the biggest issue you need to watch out for.  The Manta pack has a tubular frame, but I still wouldn't want to exceed 20-25 pounds.  Sheet framed backs don't really offer suspension, just frame support.  Heavier loads will be felt more on your shoulders which is the reason for caution.  

My only other caution would be to try some of these smaller day-packs on in the store if you can (like REI).  Torso size may make them some not fit well and they don't generally have much variance in torso size.  It's really only important if you're actually going to rely on the waist belt for proper load carrying.  Compression is also important as most day packs used for very mobile activities need both solid suspension and the ability to tighten a looser load down to keep it from flopping and throwing your balance off.

Although it doesn't have the wire frame as the larger Kestral packs, I'm going to pick up a Kestral 28 liter pack for my son as an ultralight weight weekend pack.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 11:00:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I just ordered an a Osprey Manta AG 36 yesterday, mainly for the Anti Gravity system that I've heard nothing but excellent things about. The Skarab 32 was one I looked at but the AG won me out. Plus my current go-to pack is a MH Snowtastic 28 and I figured that if I was getting a new one it'd have more than 4l greater capacity, especially if I end up using it for climbing 4000-footers this winter. 28l doesn't give you a lot of room for layers & other gear when so much of the capacity is pretty much only good for carrying avalanche tools. I'm looking forward to trying out my first REALLY good pack, though!
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 6:33:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the responses. I decided to go with the pack I asked about. I think itll work out great for my needs. I did almost go a bit larger on the size but didnt want to ruin the capability of enjoying a simply day hike lugging a bunch of unneeded gear around. I think this will work out great with my Hill People Gear recon bag too!
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 7:32:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the responses. I decided to go with the pack I asked about. I think itll work out great for my needs. I did almost go a bit larger on the size but didnt want to ruin the capability of enjoying a simply day hike lugging a bunch of unneeded gear around. I think this will work out great with my Hill People Gear recon bag too!
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top