Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2017 10:45:33 AM EDT
Anyone have any good backpacking meal recipes?  Looking for other than just freeze dried prepackaged meals. Don't mind using some freeze dried components though.

One of my favorite meals is a package of ramen noodles with a package of chicken mixed in. Simple, filling, and plenty of calories.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 11:09:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Noodles and chicken like you said.  Rice and chicken.  I'm not too fancy so I'll eat dry breakfast cereal and quest bars.  Hot cocoa packs are a staple of mine also.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 11:53:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 12:24:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the packets of Tuna. Throw in some mayo packets and I'm good to go.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 12:49:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Landjäger semi-dried sausage, cheese, hard rolls are great. Beef jerky, pemmican, corn nuts are a favorite for me.
Freeze dried beef stew I had was mislabeled in that it says one package will feed two individuals, that is wrong, one pack will feed at least six and give them all they can eat, yes, it was that bad.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 9:54:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I've backpacked with some groups that were super into high-end backcountry cooking. It always struck me as a huge hassle - lots of dirty dishes and extra crap. I also don't like the pre-packaged freeze-dried stuff, mainly because it has so much salt in it.

I'm fairly simple these days: oatmeal (boiling water for coffee anyway) and shelf-stable yogurt or fruit for breakfast. Something simple for lunch, like granola bars, tortilla + nut butter, tuna pack + crackers, etc.

For dinner, I stick to freezer bag cooking. I have a few recipe books, but I've simplified most of their recipes over the years. They usually consist of some sort of meat (tuna, chicken, or spam pouch), some sort of carb (pasta, rice, instant mashed potatoes, cous cous), some dried veggies, and usually some sort of spices (low-sodium soup mix, or a bit of a spice packet).
I put these together by just wandering through the grocery store and picking what sounds good together. One of my favorites for cold weather is spam chili: spam packet + instant beans and rice + chili flavoring + Fritos (for after it's done cooking). I pre-package the instant rice and spices in a quart freezer bag, and label it with the meal and meat. To cook it on the trail, just add hot water, add the meat, and wait 10 mins.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 10:15:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Anyone have any good backpacking meal recipes?  Looking for other than just freeze dried prepackaged meals. Don't mind using some freeze dried components though.

One of my favorite meals is a package of ramen noodles with a package of chicken mixed in. Simple, filling, and plenty of calories.
View Quote

How long are you gone for?  If it's an overnight, get a packaged/marinated beef tenderloin. Freeze that guy and then pack peppers and mushrooms oinions if you like em and then make kabobs on an open fire when you get to camp. Enjoy with your bag of wine you brought or your bottle of whatever.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 10:32:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How long are you gone for?  If it's an overnight, get a packaged/marinated beef tenderloin. Freeze that guy and then pack peppers and mushrooms oinions if you like em and then make kabobs on an open fire when you get to camp. Enjoy with your bag of wine you brought or your bottle of whatever.
View Quote
Got an upcoming 4-5 day/night trip.  We'll do some frozen foods the first night.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 11:06:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I eat a lot and don't like doing dishes for the big involved meals. First night I'll usually have some pre-Frozen brawts, 2 the first night, two with scrambled eggs in the morning and two more for red beans and rice the second night.

Tortillas don't fill me up, tuna packets are blah and I love carbs so I generally go for noodle dishes unless there's good fishing and I'll do rice with those. Oatmeals and MH granola and blueberry for breakfasts, flat buns with honey and peanut butter for lunches, One or two mountain houses, one or two Lipton 'sides' for dinners make sure I've got some good cookies or newtons for deserts.

Keep it light and simple with things you actually like, not just will tolerate as good enough.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 1:18:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll break 2-3 eggs into a zip-loc bag, add peppers, onion, diced up ham or whatever ya might put in an omelet. Get as much air out as possible & smush everything up. Double bag this for obvious reasons.. When you start the coffee, toss the bag into the pot.
When the coffees done so is your "scromelet"
Enjoy
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 4:36:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll break 2-3 eggs into a zip-loc bag, add peppers, onion, diced up ham or whatever ya might put in an omelet. Get as much air out as possible & smush everything up. Double bag this for obvious reasons.. When you start the coffee, toss the bag into the pot.
When the coffees done so is your "scromelet"
Enjoy
View Quote
That's a neat idea!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top