Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2017 7:06:57 PM EDT
Trying to decide on a new tent. Basically it would be for solo motorcycle trips and occasionally car camping/backyard camping with my oldest son who is 7. We have a big tent if the whole family goes. So far I am looking at the REI half dome 2 plus, Nemo Galaxi 2p, the new Kelty gunnison 2, the new style Marmot Limelight 2p and the Alps Mystique 2.0

Pros and cons that I know are that the REI and Nemo are available in subdued colors, the Alps is cheap and seems solid but is only available in bright colors just like the Marmot, the Gunnison is a new for 2017 design and somewhat unknown.

I like the pack size of the Gunnison as everything would fit in my saddle bags as would the Nemo. The others would have to have the poles strapped to my tail bag. The REI and Alps do not include the ground sheet like the gunnison, Limelight and Nemo do. The Alps is not freestanding but that isn't an issue in the areas I will be camping.

Anyone own any of these or have input? I am going in circles and just need a nudge one way or the other as I am stuck.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 7:15:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Ground sheet is easily replaced with lightweight tarp. Those are all better than my old Kelty
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 7:23:32 PM EDT
[#2]
The deciding factor should be if you want your poles in the pack/pannier or out.  While I do not own any of those tents I have several (none with poles that fit in my pannier) and have been on several long motorcycle trips with tents.   Strapping the poles on the outside is not a big deal but something to fret over, catch with your leg while mounting the bike and generally mess with when trying to get in your bags.  Get an idea of how you are going to pack your stuff then figure in how the poles fit into the equation.  All the tents listed are good tents and should be comfortable.  All have minor similarities and differences in functionality but the poles will change your entire packing program. A ground sheet is necessary but easy enough to take care of with everything from a factory sized footprint or tyvek from home depot.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 11:24:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I took an REI 1/2 dome 2 on my solo trip last year. It worked great. I bought the ground cloth for it. It is easy to set up (always make sure the poles are fully inserted into the hubs!) it is well ventilated and has nice storage under the fly.

I did split a pole by not having it fully inserted into the hub, but it is really easy to change.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 12:50:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I spend ~40 nights a year in a Half Dome 2+. It's a great tent for what it was designed for, and would do you well on your trip.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 7:47:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks everyone for the input and advice. Been down and out with a broken foot so I haven't been on much.

Going to try to take a look at the Nemo in person if I get a chance. That is the one I am leaning toward as it would be a little less than the Halfdome 2 plus when you factor in the footprint cost and I have yet to find a bad review of the Nemo. I know I can make a footprint  but I want to compare apples to apples. Also a lot of people complain about not being able to get the fly tight enough on the Halfdome 2 plus. Not sure if something changed on the newer models or what but it seems to be a common theme with it in recent reviews.

The Mystique 2.0 is very tempting but just a little too narrow at the foot for our 23" Klymit static V pads if the wife or one of the kids do go with me and it is as bright as the sun. If I didn't need a do all tent that I would be using for stealth camping as well or if I knew I was going solo only and could afford a second tent for 2 person backpacking I would buy this.

The new Limelight 2 with the pole bends make it nice for room but wonky when packed as where they decided to make the joints for the poles causes it to pack a lot larger due to the bends. Also only available in "look at me!" Orange.

A couple of the reviews on the new Gunnison give me a reason for concern and it is new enough not to be proven. Maybe it is solid, maybe not but I am not going to be the beta tester.

The TN2 packs small, is available in a subdued color and seems like a good competitor but for the money I think there are better options. This was a very clos second. However a few reviewers have had the window in the fly leak and had to have the fly repaired.

That leaves us with the Nemo Galaxi 2p. Now the hard decision, Birch Green or Earth brown.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:15:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Good input so far. But check out the slumberjack line..ive been impressed so far with thier other products. Their 4 person caught my eye but it's a tad short for momma bear to go for it. ..... lol...ill be forced into an RV by the time I'm 60 lol
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:37:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I was using one of the REI Half Dome 2+ before selling my last bike.  I was almost always solo but the double doors are nice with two people.  Setup is pretty easy with color coding on the ends and it vents well for hot southern nights.  I also like the extra room and the vestibules for stashing my gear, especially wet boots, helmet and rain gear.  If you don't need it right away keep an eye on REI and you can catch them on sale for a nice savings.  On the V-Strom I either strapped it between the rack and Givi pannier if two up or when alone behind me between me and the top case (I had a rack on the back).  On the DRZ I usually placed it on top of the waterproof duffel and lashed it all down to the rack, goofy but it worked since I wasn't doing anything hard.  Never had any issues that I recall.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:56:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Ordered the Nemo Galaxy 2 today. Backcountry has a 25% off sale which took it from $250 down to $187. Also retail me not has a deal going that if you order through them on Backcountry you get $20 cash back so it will bring the total cost down to $167. Backcountry also has free 2 day shipping on any order over $50. Best prices I could find anywhere else for the same tent were between $220 and $250.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top