Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2017 2:49:59 PM EDT
Looking for some advice on snake defense gear as I hope to be starting my job in Big Bend National Park next month.

I'm? look for some advice since I'm going to be working in large rattle snake country on the pros and cons of each of these systems. If anyone can tell me is there any snake boots that are not water proof also?

Thanks for the help and advice!
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 4:40:46 PM EDT
[#1]
If it was an occasional thing the chaps or plastic leg covers would do but if its an every day thing snake boots are a good idea.  There are more than a few reasons cowboys wore heavy leather chaps everything there has teeth or thorns.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 4:55:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it was an occasional thing the chaps or plastic leg covers would do but if its an every day thing snake boots are a good idea.  There are more than a few reasons cowboys wore heavy leather chaps everything there has teeth or thorns.
View Quote
That's what I have been thinking about not sure how much I'm going to need it. I'm going to be doing a LEO job so I never know what I'm going to be doing or going.

Yes everything has a bite? down there! Going to be great to call it home!
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 7:27:55 PM EDT
[#3]
dont remember  what we wore grew up on a working ranch near there smae snakes.google snake proof boot chaps will  NOT DO IT don't let some yankee tell u different. expect 200.00$ but will last 10yrs with resole.  should be up to knee  heavy leather

its been 50 yrs since i rode a horse. working cattle  trying to keep it that way

email me if u need more or phone number. if u are striking out will call several ranger buddies of mine on post near there.
common in most work clothing stores.

always  carry a big stick  7iron.   does nicely.
get some  bird shot if u can carry a wheel gun. if back piece  is a revolver  use cci. if u are "On The Job in TEXAS it will be.

cheers
1texan
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 7:33:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Keep in mind both will be hot as all get out. I tried chaps and cooked in them. Now wear Chippewa snake boots.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 7:55:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Gaiters.  Cooler than full-leg chaps, and provide the same protection as boots.

That way you get to wear your choice of boots and have knee--down leg protection.

Linky
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 6:13:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
dont remember  what we wore grew up on a working ranch near there smae snakes.google snake proof boot chaps will  NOT DO IT don't let some yankee tell u different. expect 200.00$ but will last 10yrs with resole.  should be up to knee  heavy leather

its been 50 yrs since i rode a horse. working cattle  trying to keep it that way

email me if u need more or phone number. if u are striking out will call several ranger buddies of mine on post near there.

get some  bird shot if u can carry a wheel gun. if back piece  is a revolver  use cci. if u are "On The Job in TEXAS it will be.

cheers
1texan
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

cheers
1texan
Thanks I have been thinking more boots always on just wish I could find ones that are not waterproof! Looking at the Danner with the side zipper on them make it easier to take on and off. Working in a National park its going to be hard for me to just take out the snake but I have though about getting a pocket pistol with some snake rounds just in case they don't under stand I only hurt them if they want to hurt me.

Quoted:
Keep in mind both will be hot as all get out. I tried chaps and cooked in them. Now wear Chippewa snake boots.
I understand the whole hot part but to me and you I see better then getting a snake bite! What type of sock do you use?
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 6:21:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Tony Lama has a pair of buckaroo boots that have shafts that go higher up your leg/calf than traditional boots do. also look at leg gaiters on backcountry.com
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 6:24:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That way you get to wear your choice of boots and have knee--down leg protection.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91ntdoISd3L._SL1500_.jpg

Linky
View Quote
Sorry don't want to forget you! I like them but the whole idea of having to PUT them on is really what has me! Not saying your idea is wrong and I'm looking at the gaiters but I'm LEO I know in a National park but I can go from just talking to someone to having to chase them though brush.

When I was a deputy around Southwest TX I would see Boarder Patrol chase after some illegal though snake  heaven with nothing but the regular boots they had one and I always thought they where crazy! They called me a wimp or a Pu$$y I told them to watch some of the TV show "Venom ER" I assume a few of them did because about a month later I noticed snake gear on a few of the wiser ones!

I know its rare to get tagged by a snake but after what I have seen what people who have go through to me  it's almost like the whole thing of police officers wearing vests!
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 12:40:24 AM EDT
[#9]
"Snakeproof" boots are going to be, inescapably, hot and heavy. I've settled on lightweight, (kevlar?) gaiters for snake protection when hunting Gambel quail in the Sonoran Desert, when it's difficult to both chase quail, and also watch where you're stepping. The plastic and bronze mesh gaiters are either hot, heavy, noisy, or some equally obnoxious combination. If its boots you want, see Russel Moccasin for what are probably the best offerings --- pricey, but "worth it", in my experience.  In thirty years of trodding Arizona's habitat for a bakers's dozen of rattlers, I've only once or twice been in a situation where footwear or ancillary equipment would have made any difference, and ultimately did not. Just watch where  you're stepping  ...
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:02:46 AM EDT
[#10]
OP. Please let us know what you decide on, and also give us a review. I'm interested. Also congrats on starting a new job in such an awesome place.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 2:58:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91ntdoISd3L._SL1500_.jpg

Linky
View Quote
I wore a pair of Rattlers brand snake gaiters with heavy boots for several years on late summer deer scouting.  Chaps are a pain and hot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top