Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2017 10:59:59 PM EDT
Doing the Dad thing with my son in about 2 weeks. We'll be hitting BLM land and national forests. What do I need to know. Bear protection will be a 454 Redhawk and Bear spray.

The one or two side projects I want to hit involve looking for fossils.

GO...
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:24:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Pack your cold weather gear.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:57:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been wandering around in Montana, North Dakota, and now South Dakota since Saturday before last.
I will be moving southwest into Wyoming, then Idaho starting tomorrow.

Since I have left, it has rained, VERY hard, hailed some days, T-Storms overhead for three days, and in the distance most days.
The wind has not stopped howling.

As someone else posted, I would also suggest cold weather gear and if camping out, a good four-season tent.

I am from central Idaho, and it snowed a few days therwhile I have been gone.
I am not unhappy about missing that crap.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:39:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I knocked a few PDs down last year in April. Got run out of town by a snow storm. There is a fossil dig in the South west where you can dig through rock for fish fossils. Want to hit that. A dino dig if I can find one, there is an old retired one that I was told you can walk around and still find pieces of dino bones. Also, old ghost towns. I saw some marked on the map in Medicine bow.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:07:27 PM EDT
[#5]
daytime bump

Should I 454 casul or G21?

I expect to be in the mountains at times.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 2:33:36 PM EDT
[#6]
If you take 90 across the northern end, consider taking HWY16 from Buffalo. It is an extremely scenic drive.

Consider a stop in Thermopolis. Cool hot springs and formations. Public pools fed by hot spring water.

Don't skip Devil's tower, it is way cooler than Mt Rushmore or Crazy Horse.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:26:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you take 90 across the northern end, consider taking HWY16 from Buffalo. It is an extremely scenic drive.

Consider a stop in Thermopolis. Cool hot springs and formations. Public pools fed by hot spring water.

Don't skip Devil's tower, it is way cooler than Mt Rushmore or Crazy Horse.
View Quote
If you go to Thermopolis you can stop by the one of the pools and get a gate key to go and visit some petroglyphs. Pretty cool and not a long drive from town.

link
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top