Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2017 6:58:19 AM EDT
A quick review of a new headlamp.  A few guys on some other forums have switched to 18650 battery headlamps over more traditional AA versions simply for the longer run times when backpacking.  Despite they weigh almost twice as much, they have run times that are almost 3-4 times longer.  Sure, most people like AA (or AAA) lights for backpacking as you can find those batteries everywhere if you need to pick up a resupply; that makes sense, but I’ll never use alkaline batteries again and that is what is mostly available.  On the expensive end, I often use lithium batteries, but since you pretty much pack out what you pack in Eneloops are more often used.  Since our longer tips require resupply, I wanted to try and use rechargeable batteries and the Fenix RC05 intrigued me by the USB magnetic charger option.  Plus, my current Zebra AA headlamp also uses 14500 batteries, I could just recharge both in a couple hours using an AC adapter when in town.

With the interest in 18650 lights and now headlamps, I was very intrigued with a different (Canadian origins) company, Armytek.  They make a 18650 headlamps with some nice features and I found an older version on sale to test out.  I noticed they have a new version that includes a magnetic USB charger that allows you to plug the light directly into an AC adapter to charge the battery.  I know a guy on another forum who’s been using these lights for outdoors backpacking and trail running; his reviews have been the best.  The Armytek may replace my other two lights for our upcoming trip…a short review of the older V2 version which surprising shipped with the newer version LED.

So, I was up pretty early this morning to finally test out the Armytek.  Again, this is the V2 Wizard with the upgraded V3 XP-L LED.

I didn’t put the top strap on the headband; I could see the need when running, but for hiking, walking around and simple chores, the single band around the head is proving quite secure.  I didn’t get any pictures and not sure how they would have turned out, but color me impressed.  I knew this was more of a flood headlight and there are no spots, it’s a very smooth flood.  My best guesstimate was that it lit up an area about 80-100 feet out and illuminated that area about 20-30 feet across (I was using a small section of fence and a tree for targets).  The throw is much better than I anticipated and the flood holds well at longer distances quite well.  

So, the UI is pretty intuitive once you start playing with it.  Understand the purpose of this light is more for utility, outdoors use/backpacking, etc. so I’m not concerned about have some retina-burning search light.  Still, the output levels give you several options and decent run times with the 3400mAh 18650 batteries.

Here’s the basic UI for lighting options:

From off, press and hold for one of two “firefly” modes:

Firefly 1 (0.4 lumens)?Firefly 2 (2.3 lumens)

If you continue to press and hold, it will jump into the “Main modes”:

Main 1 (30 lumens)?Main 2 (180 lumens)?Main 3 (390 lumens)

When you turn on your light, if you just press and release, it skips the Firefly modes and goes directly to the Main modes…unless…

So, this is a feature I love; auto-memory.  Whatever mode-level you turned you light off, a quick press and release of the button will go directly to the last mode you used.  If you’re getting up in the middle of the night you likely had your light on a lower setting, this really saves your night vision.  I will likely just use the Firefly mode to start, but this is really a great feature.

Last mode is the 1000-1250 lumens “Turbo” mode.  It’s activated by double clicking the button when it’s already turned on.  This was the mode I was testing for distance and flood size.  For regular hiking in the dark, Main 2 (180 lumens) is likely my choice as it provides more than enough illumination and distance with decent run times (9 hours).  

Main 1 (30 lumens) is really a good utility choice; setting up the hammock or doing any camp chores in the dark.  Of course, the Firefly modes will likely be used when in the hammock or trying to find my shoes for a 0300 call of mother-nature.  It’s listed with a 39-hour run time which is vastly better than any single AA headlamp I have…pretty significant for a multiday backpacking trip.  Just so you’re aware, we are typically in our hammocks when the sun goes down, so other than a couple minutes, most of our headlamp use is in the morning when we are typically up before sunrise and breaking down camp to hit the trail early.

So, for backpacking I plan to go a little heavy on this next trip (130-mile section hike).  I do keep two lights in my HPG Kit Bag as a standard load plan; the Petzl e+LITE mini headlamp which is simply awesome for the size and features, running off 2x2032 coin batteries.  I switched out my Photon for Nitecore’s Tube USB LED keychain light.  These are always on me.  My headlamp (for now) is a Zebralight AA/14500 which will be my primary lighting source and typically stays in my pack.  As part of my testing, I’m also carrying my typical EDC Fenix RC05 rechargeable light.  It uses a 14500 battery (but will use all other AA battery sizes) and is charged in the flashlight with a magnetic USB charging cord.  We will get a couple opportunities to charge our devices on a couple of planned resupply pickups.  My testing is really to see if it’s worth it using the light as a charging device for both the Fenix and Zebra.  This is where the Armytek may take over…

The V3 version with the included magnetic USB charger might be the bees knees I’m looking for.  I will carry a spare battery, but being able to just plug the light directly to an AC adapter for charging is my long-term goal.  This is what may change my lighting choices from both the Zebra and Fenix to just the Armytek.

A picture of my current backpacking power/illumination kit:

What I may move to (not including the magnetic USB cord I have on the way):

Of course the 18650 light is larger than your typical AA light:

It’s easy to see the weight difference is double; however, the run-times are nearly triple which is the trade-off.  Shorter trips, the AA light will likely be the better option, but for extended trips, the 18650 light is likely the better choice.

The only thing that concerns me are the O-rings.  They are pretty small-diameter and not very heavy-duty.  The smaller Zebra O-rings are almost twice as thick and seem more robust.  While this is more important for water and dust resistance, it can be a little concerning.  I would put the spare O-rings (they don’t even register on my gram-scale) in my repair kit for emergencies, but just concerned on how well these O-rings will hold up to repeated use outdoors.

Oh, last thing is that the longer thread base allows that “lock-out” option to prevent accidental activation but still feel quite solid; that’s a good feature.  Also, when wearing the headlamp and using the “turbo” mode for 20-30 minutes, the light did heat up quite a bit…very hot to the touch.  The rubber mount did a great job at insulating that heat from your head.  It was warm, but not uncomfortable.  I really don’t see extended use of the turbo mode, so it’s nice to know that at the lower output modes (I left the 180-lumen mode on for a couple hours to really drain the battery), the light doesn’t heat up at all.

I’ll continue to do testing and hope the other light (with magnetic charger) shows up soon.  Our trip is about 30 days out and I’m really considering on switching to the Armytek to replace the Fenix and Zebra.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 7:59:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you seen the Foursevens flex charger?  Looks like it would be good to use in situations where weight is a consideration.

Flex Charger
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 4:36:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you seen the Foursevens flex charger?  Looks like it would be good to use in situations where weight is a consideration.

Flex Charger
View Quote
Nope; never seen that before...but I have one on order to try out  Thanks! (I think).

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 12:23:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Ordered about twelve 18650 batteries a few weeks ago and have been playing around with them. I've started with cheapy lights and oooooh man. CRAP. LOL
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 7:45:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Flex Charger
View Quote
This might really be a portable, multi-battery charger option.  So, I received the new ArmyTek Wizard V3 with the magnetic charging cap and charger.  This is a good option and will likely tip me in the direction of taking an 18650 headlamp as my backpacking illumination tool.  While the magnetic USB charger is pretty robust and simple, you do have to remember rotating the cap a 1/4 turn or it won't charge (a flashing light on the charger head is a good reminder)

Now, the Fourseven's magnetic charger is simply awesome.  It will charge a variety of batteries.  For lightweight, multi-battery use, this will likely open the door to ignoring battery choices for various electronics.  I really like this charger!

The weight difference is .2 ounces; the Armytek charger weighs 0.9oz and the Foursevens charger weighs 0.7oz.

While the Armytek uses a proprietary charger just for the headlamp cap, it does simplify the function.  On the other hand, the Foursevens' Flex-Charger will charge a wider variety of batteries...really impressed with both.

ROCK6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top