Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2017 7:52:17 AM EDT
Hello.  I'm looking into switching out my camper's interior bulbs ( around a dozen of them )  to LEDs.  They are the 921 flat blade types.

Looking online, I can purchase big multi-packs which come in at around $1 or so a bulb.  Of course " you get what you pay for " probably comes in to play here.

Or I can purchase " name brand "  units which are quite a bit more.

Anyone recommend any of decent / affordable quality.

Thanks
cvh
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:09:13 AM EDT
[#1]
One thing to consider is the color spectrum of the LEDs.   I bought some but didn't like the sterile bluish light they put out so I went back to the originals.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 12:00:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Make sure you pick a color temperature you like.  Lower numbers like 2800-3000k are like incandescent bulbs (warm, yellow hue), 4300 is white (and equivalent to sunlight), higher is the bluish tinted light.

Buy the cheapo lights.  Not like you're out a lot of coin if they don't work.

I converted every light in my 6x12 trailer to LEDs - all the outside marker lights, and the two interior lights.  The entire trailer now draws less than 1 amp when lit up.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 2:44:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Many campers and RV's have 12 volt (and / or) 120 volt lights.
Make sure whatever you get matches the application.
A few minutes with a volt meter will answer this.
Be careful...
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 9:22:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you all for the advice and suggestions.

cvh
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 9:47:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I got some off ebay,  i was not impressed at all,  the light was blue-ish and dim,  I will have to look into a whiter light and better output

this was two years ago so things have improved,  tagging for updates as well
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 1:24:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I've replaced the wedge-base incandescent lamps in my A-Liner interior fixtures with LEDs, and couldn't be happier.Today, found some similar LED alternatives to the 912 incandescents at Auto Zone, $20/2 pack, to replace exterior area lights, not for more lumens ,but for less amp draw.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 1:21:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Im in the middle of switching my interiors out. - more in there than I thought lol - using these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EDFM5QU?tag=vglnk-c102-20
and I notice a brightness difference, as in maybe less, but its also just different, so its probably one of those things you'll get used to in a night or two. The reduced draw is phenomenal and totally worth it when dry camping without shore power.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:48:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Yup the other thread inspired me to switch all the interior lights to LED.  I have had the lights for a year but they didn't fit the socket.  They had a extra hump where the OEM does not.    A little work with the Dremel now they fit.  The light is very white but not too bad.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 6:45:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Did this in our last trailer. Twice. The first set I bought were too blue, and half the diodes faced up, without a reflector they kinda sucked.
Went back and bought a warmer spectrum in a pancake style lamp and was much happier.
Our new 5th wheel came with LED lighting throughout, with strategically placed motion sensing lights in the bathroom, "hallway", and pass-through storage area. Those are fucking awesome! No fumbling for a switch in the middle of the night, and when you open the pass-though, the light comes on, back off in 30 seconds with no motion.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top