Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2017 8:10:26 PM EDT
Got my chores done this morning, did a little kayaking and finally put together my pack for our upcoming trip in June.  This AT section is from Erwin, TN to Damascus, VA; just over 130 miles.  We are planning about 10-11 days on the trail depending on our starting time for the first day.  My wife hasn’t done the logistics planning just yet, but we are planning (I think) on two resupplies which will keep our food weight down to about 4-5 pounds.

Considering the average weather conditions (highs average 79-80 degrees and lows are low to mid 50’s), we can go pretty light on clothing and insulation.

My base weight is sitting at 12lbs, 11oz.  That doesn’t include fuel, water or food.  I typically just carry my standard 9oz of alcohol fuel (total weight is 9.6oz).  If we keep food down to 4 days and average about 1.5 pounds per day, that’s an additional ~6 pounds.  I typically maintain between 2.5-3 liters of water, so for calculations, about 6.5 pounds (if water sources are more frequent, I can pretty much run just off a couple liters, but you then balance more stops to tank-up).  The only think I haven’t added is some clothing items I know I won’t be wearing while backpacking, which is my long-sleeve, synthetic shirt and my Arc’Teryx lightweight down vest which adds another 16.4oz for the two.  Those are usually just worn in the morning at in the evening if the weather is a little chilly.  

My Kit Bag total weight is 2lbs 15oz and my clothing/EDC (including footwear and trekking poles) is 4lbs 6oz.

So total weight (plus or minus a few ounces, more likely “plus”):
Base Weight: 12lbs 11oz
Fuel:9.6oz
Food (4 days)6lbs
Water (3L)6lbs8.0oz
Packed layers1lb0.4oz

26 pound, 13 ounces (likely it will end up about 27 pounds) and the Kit Bag adds an additional 3 pounds for a total of 30 pounds.  I need to cut a few items out as I just noticed I have four lighters and I may leave behind my SAK as it’s a tertiary redundancy.  My FAK needs a little thinning and I probably don’t really need my Xeroshoe sandals (8.6oz), my pillow (2.6oz) or the down vest (4.6oz)…that right there is a full pound if I drop some comfort items. At this point I’m just trimming comfort which negates the “vacation” aspect of our backpacking  

Pack is a ULA Circuit.  The only item I didn’t pull out was the trash-compactor bag that I use as a waterproof liner.  Along with the cuben-fiber rain cover, my important contents are quite secure (I even used my pack as a float to cross the lake last year):

Contents from the back pocket, both side bottle-pockets and the two waist belt pouches:

Packet contents:

My sleep system is pretty simple: Hammock, cuben-fiber rain fly, down quilt and a 6-section Z-Rest folding pad (if temps are expected below 40 degrees, I would add my 16oz down under-quilt):

Cook kit:

My wife is a genius.  She found these little silicone cupcake holders; two slits opposite each other and you can use as a pot holder.  The nice thing is that it keeps the hair on your fingers from getting burned as you pull the pot off the alcohol stove.  Not a necessity, but a simple "nicety".

Packed clothing:

Electronics kit, hygiene kit and small repair kit:

My constant hiking companion, the HPG Kit Bag (it’s the smaller “original stubby”):

I was going back and forth between an Enlightened down quilt and JRB’s Sierra Stealth which has an extra ounce of fill.  The difference between the two is only 2 ounces (15.2oz vs. 17.2oz), but you can see the loft difference.  Additionally, the JRB can be worn like a “puffy” jacket, not that I would backpack with it on.  My quilts get put in the hammock under the rain fly and that’s where they stay until I pack up.  

There might be a few tweaks but I’m about 95% set (minus the menu selections…that’s my wife’s forte), as we will just keep on eye on how the forecast looks as we get closer to launching.  Just thought I would share my backpacking prep.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:11:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice. Where's the ibuprofen?
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 7:16:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice. Where's the ibuprofen?
View Quote
Hahaha!  That's why my FAK is so big  I do keep plenty of Advil along with some Benadryl, antacids and some anti-diarrhea OTCs meds as a standard addition to my FAK.  I'll do a separate layout of that as that is one item that does need to get downsized some.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 7:34:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Please, feel free to critique...I'm not expert and always open to constructive criticism.

Some items I know I could do without:

Sandals
I have four lighters and I could cut two of those out
My FAK needs to be minimized a little more
Do I need that Sea to Summit cup since I have the small 300ml Ti cup?
Drop one of the bandanas?
Drop the extra Gossamer gear sit pad?
Do I really need the glove liners for above 45 degrees?

For clothing (right now), I have:
REI brand zip-off pants (I may just go exclusively with shorts)
Merino wool T-shirt
Ex Officio drawers
Merino wool socks
Salomon hiking shoes
Ball cap

What will likely spend more time in the pack:
Craghopper long-sleeve shirt
Arc'Teryx lightweight down vest
OR rain jacket
Nylon web belt

The rain jacket is a staple and can add both wind resistance and a little heat containment if needed.

The long sleeve shirt is the most second most valuable behind the rain jacket. It's pretty wind resistant, dries fast and is usually what I wear cooling down with my hiking gear drying out overnight and in the cooler mornings.

The vest is simply awesome if it's chilly on the trail (keeps the core warm) and when in the hammock as added core insulation. I may drop it, but for now it's on the list.

EDC is pretty sparse (although I do consider my Kit Bag as EDC 1.5):
Burt's bees chap stick
Fenix RC05 AA LED light
Bic (with the awesome Bunkerbuster lighter caps!)
Spyderco Dragonfly folder
Marathon GSAR watch
Oakley sunglasses

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:10:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you done the math on if you're actually saving weight with the alcohol setup compared to a pocket rocket (or equivalent) with a 100g canister(should be enough in between resupply points, right?) 
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:48:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I recently picked up some of  those "sleeves ", instead of wearing a long sleeve shirt.
You can put the on and take them off without having to remove your pack or other layers.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:12:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Have you done the math on if you're actually saving weight with the alcohol setup compared to a pocket rocket (or equivalent) with a 100g canister(should be enough in between resupply points, right?) 
View Quote
That's a good point.  If it's only 4-5 days at most between resupply, that would be good comparison.  I could also cut down my alcohol fuel to four-ounce and one-ounce bottles which would also work at 5.4oz vice my current setup weighting 10.7oz.  As it stands if I pack the full 8oz alcohol bottle, the weights actually favor the stove and 110gram fuel canister:

9oz alcohol fuel + mini-bull stove = 10.7oz

110gram canister + Snow Peak Giga Ti stove (my wife gave away my Crux stove to my daughter) = 10.5oz

The only reason I prefer the alcohol stove and fuel is that I can really get more accurate measurements for use.  I typically just take the larger fuel bottle as we have done 6-7 day sections before resupply and we rarely carry more than 8-days of food without a planned resupply.  Efficiency likely favors the iso-butane stove, although I've always found it harder to judge capacity.  Still, it's a valid point.  If you prefer simplicity and speed of boiling water (something most alcohol stoves suffer), there isn't much of a weight trade-off.  You could probably make a similar argument about stove construction; most alcohol stoves are simple, but likely more prone to damage (I've never had that issue), whereas most iso-butane stoves do have more moving parts and a necessary gasket, but they are pretty robust design-wise.  

Of course the most important factor is the multipurpose aspect of the fuel.  With grain alcohol, you have an efficient fuel, antiseptic, and morale booster all wrapped up in one little plastic bottle!!!  I know what I could do with 4-5 ounces left in my alcohol fuel bottle that I couldn't do with iso-butane fuel the night prior to the last day on the trail

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:17:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I recently picked up some of  those "sleeves ", instead of wearing a long sleeve shirt.
You can put the on and take them off without having to remove your pack or other layers.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/271537/IMG-2649-188650.JPG
View Quote
This is a good recommendation.  I've seen the down "sleeves" for colder weather and they make a ton of sense.  During these hotter months you really don't need "sleeves" when hiking.  I have found it nice to get off my soaking T-shirt and once you wash off and cool down, nice breeze in the shade, you can actually get the chills.  I've found that long-sleeve shirt pretty handy.  I do have two, the silk sleeping shirt and the button shirt.  If I had to choose between the two, it would be the button up synthetic shirt.  That does make me consider pulling that sleeping shirt out.  My button shirt rarely gets sweaty since I usually only use it in the evening and on the trail early in the morning for an hour or so until I warm up.  Sunburn isn't a huge concern as we are rarely on the "balds" for long and more often under heavier canopy.  I really do like the concept of the separate sleeves though, thanks!

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 4:51:12 PM EDT
[#8]
My wife and I did a short 8 mile hike yesterday up at a familiar spot near Toccoa, GA.  It's the first time I've seen another hiker with an HPG Kit Bag...we had a good talk and he said the same thing as me..."I don't go anywhere outdoors without it..."

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 6:56:03 PM EDT
[#9]
OP,
You've got a nice setup, and some good gear. I just started backpacking this year, so I'm still a bit of a grom. 
I know you're not in charge of the menu, but do check out Pack It Gourmet, if you haven't already. 
Click me!
No affiliation, but they're local to me. Some of their meals look pretty legit, and on my list. 
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 1:58:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
OP,
You've got a nice setup, and some good gear. I just started backpacking this year, so I'm still a bit of a grom. 
I know you're not in charge of the menu, but do check out Pack It Gourmet, if you haven't already. 
Click me!
No affiliation, but they're local to me. Some of their meals look pretty legit, and on my list. 
View Quote
Thanks whomper!  That site is quite nice...I'll pass on to Mrs. Menu Planner  Those entrees mirror much of what we prefer.  We pack a lot of tortillas.  They hold up well when packed, serve as a plate that you can roll up the left-overs in and eat like a burrito.  We also just use the simple nut butter (my preference is the chocolate hazelnut butter) spread on a tortilla for lunch.  We really only do a hot meal in the evening, everything else is eaten on the trail.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 1:28:16 PM EDT
[#11]
How big is your hammock tarp?
Sorry I did not see a second magazine for your firearm.
All so, I saw the re-charge packs. But no solar charger? Why?

PITA45
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 5:46:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How big is your hammock tarp?
Sorry I did not see a second magazine for your firearm.
All so, I saw the re-charge packs. But no solar charger? Why?

PITA45
View Quote
The hammock tarp is a hex cat-cut, 12' ridgeline and 8.5" wide (all of 6.5 ounces).

Backup magazine.  I've gone back and forth on this and strictly for distance hiking, I've opted to only carry the one magazine.  Not an easy decision, but I've had to make this decision after assessing numerous distance hikes.  I do have an excellent horizontal sheath that rides on the outside of my Kit Bag.  If I carry an extra magazine (usually on hunting trips, shorter hikes, etc.), that's been the most optimal area when wearing a backpack.  I have considered carrying a J-Frame revolver instead of a semi-auto because of the one magazine.  It's an hard decision that is easy to troubleshoot, but at the end of the day, it's a decision I've had to make based on my own risk assessment.  Very perceptive of you...most don't even inquire (especially other backpackers who don't even like seeing a handgun).  

I have some excellent solar chargers, but it's almost impossible to take advantage when you're hiking under a canopy most of the day.  I did take my solar charges when hiking out in Utah, but the AT isn't solar friendly.  The battery charger is pretty solid and with 13,000 mAh, I can keep my phone solidly charged for 4-5 days if I stick to conservative use.  My phone is really only used for the camera, navigation app once or twice during the day and the Kindle app at night.  I do have a compact AC adapter and USB cord so I can charge the battery when we pick up our resupply.  

Some tough decisions, but every single item gets scrutinized (and weighed).  For lightweight backpacking, you focus more on multiuse items then redundancy; it's literally the polar opposite to what my whole military career was focused on.  More risk is taken, but I've found it takes some strict discipline to avoid packing the "what if" stuff in your pack which often ends up adding several pounds.  Where you balance out the lack of redundancy and backup is with better planning and smart decision making.  These are our vacations, so we do want to keep weight to a minimum and enjoy the hike with just enough comfort while mitigating contingencies with smart planning and decisions vice more gear.  

Thanks for the questions...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 7:55:52 AM EDT
[#13]
A quick update to my backpacking FAK.  It’s still on the heavy side, but lighter than what it was.  It’s just a simple boo-boo kit.  I can improvise for more serious injuries on a short-term need.  Biggest addition was some blister-prevention tape; as soon as you start getting a hot spot, you apply it over the blister.  The tape breaths well and stays extremely well.

3x2x2” gauze pads
Role of tape
4x1.5x3” tape (for preventing blisters)
2xantibiotic cream
Band aids (3xstandard, 4xknuckle)
Butterfly closures
Steri-Strip closure tape
3xdisinctive wipes
Dental floss
Safety pins
Glover’s needle
Advil/Motrin
Benadryl
Anti-diarrhea
Antacids
Tick remover
Tincture of Benzoin (for blisters, disinfectant, assist with skin adhesive tape)

Not in my FAK, but I do have Sliver Gripper tweezers and a Fresnel lens to assist with sliver and tougher tick removal.

Total weight of the FAK is 3.5oz as shown.  The Fresnel lens and tweezer weight 0.2oz.

I am considering on swapping out the tape as I love the waterproof foam tape:

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 8:49:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thanks whomper!  That site is quite nice...I'll pass on to Mrs. Menu Planner  Those entrees mirror much of what we prefer.  We pack a lot of tortillas.  They hold up well when packed, serve as a plate that you can roll up the left-overs in and eat like a burrito.  We also just use the simple nut butter (my preference is the chocolate hazelnut butter) spread on a tortilla for lunch.  We really only do a hot meal in the evening, everything else is eaten on the trail.

ROCK6
View Quote
Hope it helps!
I've done 50 miles, so far, this year on overnight trips. My meal plan has certainly evolved! I'm probably going to buy a few of their Ramen Rescues and dump everything in a freezer bag. I like some of the mountain house meals, but it gets expensive & adds up quick! I'd rather be throwing that money towards lighter gear.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 5:58:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Hope it helps!
I've done 50 miles, so far, this year on overnight trips. My meal plan has certainly evolved! I'm probably going to buy a few of their Ramen Rescues and dump everything in a freezer bag. I like some of the mountain house meals, but it gets expensive & adds up quick! I'd rather be throwing that money towards lighter gear.
View Quote
We often make our own meals, which mostly come from dinner left-overs which we dehydrate.  Some work out better than others  Another site I frequently purchase freeze-dried food is Harmony House.  They have a lot of individual vegies and legumes for adding to our meals.  Most complete freeze dried foods are overloaded with sodium...not always a bad thing when sweating a ton, but we do limit those meals in our menu selection.  

Since we hammock camp, we can often push on from most shelter sites where you can get too many other backpackers.  We will often stop at the shelters and tank up on water and it's also were we can add water to our dehydrated dinners and when we push on a few more miles setting up camp at any location that's look nice we have enough water and partially hydrated dinners that just need a little more boiled water to fully reconstitute.  My wife did skimp on cheaper Ziploc bags which were pretty disastrous; I pick up the heavy duty freezer bags for use now.  

My favorite dessert is simply powdered vanilla pudding with a the same ratio of powdered milk in a small snack-sized bag; add water, knead and set aside until after your dinner...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 6:30:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Looks good!  

My girlfriend and I are slowing ramping up for a PCT thru hike in 2019.  Seems far away, but it really isn't.  We will be on the AT a bit starting later on this year.

Weight is one of those things for me that I think really comes down to personal preference.  Being military guys, we are not afraid of a little weight--kinda used to it in fact.  And we will carry a little bit more without complaint; as long as that item is useful.

I think that you could pare down the lighters (your wife should be carrying two, right?) and maybe the cups/hankies.

I didn't seem any rain pants/shorts--are you going to get wet from the waist down?  I hate rain pants myself, but I took a pair of $20 FroggToggs from Walmart and turned them into shorts.

If your long sleeve shirt has thumbholes you might be able to ditch the gloves too.

I am excited to see how the trip goes for you guys!
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 7:16:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Looks good!  

My girlfriend and I are slowing ramping up for a PCT thru hike in 2019.  Seems far away, but it really isn't.  We will be on the AT a bit starting later on this year.

Weight is one of those things for me that I think really comes down to personal preference.  Being military guys, we are not afraid of a little weight--kinda used to it in fact.  And we will carry a little bit more without complaint; as long as that item is useful.

I think that you could pare down the lighters (your wife should be carrying two, right?) and maybe the cups/hankies.

I didn't seem any rain pants/shorts--are you going to get wet from the waist down?  I hate rain pants myself, but I took a pair of $20 FroggToggs from Walmart and turned them into shorts.

If your long sleeve shirt has thumbholes you might be able to ditch the gloves too.

I am excited to see how the trip goes for you guys!
View Quote
Yeah the wife has two lighters, so I've already cut out two.  I keep one in my Kit Bag and one in my cook kit.  Ironically enough, my wife has a smaller firesteel and that is how she lighters her alcohol stove

Rain pants.  I've been back and forth on this.  For the weather, they're really not needed. Additionally, most of the heavy rain is typically those late afternoon thunder showers.  We've been caught in them a couple times, but that is the reason we get the majority of our hiking down in the morning and usually get the camp setup before the late afternoon showers.  The only issue when soaked are my socks, which get changed often if they're soaked.  Shorts and drawers dry overnight.  Although it goes against my typical planning, I've stopped packing rain pants for our summer hikes here in the SE.  However, for future use, I'm going to splurge and invest in a pair of Luke's Ultralight Micro10 Rain pants that only weight 3 ounces.  It's really less about rain protection and more about wind-resistance if the temps drop some when you're wet.  Rain pants are one of those items like a spare tire; you will likely never need them, but when you do, you really appreciate them.  Every other season right now, I have a pair of eVent pants that get packed.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 6:19:06 PM EDT
[#18]
What are those silver stuff sacks you used?
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 6:34:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What are those silver stuff sacks you used?
View Quote
Most are from ZPACKS and are they are made from Dyneema Composite fabric (formally called cuben-fiber).  Very light, waterproof material.  From my understanding, the material was originally designed for competitive sailing serving as the material for the sail 'cloth'.  The stuff is pretty tough, abrasion resistant, and water proof.  I do have a rain tarp made out of the material and it's expensive, but I've found the smaller pouches reasonable for internal storage without adding up too much for weight.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 10:35:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Great post - as usual.  

Some random thoughts as a Carolina boy who really cut his outdoor teeth out west:

After years of never unpacking my gloves, even liners, unless it's full on winter I stopped carrying them.  Hiking with poles gets my hands warm pretty quickly.  Up on the AT, maybe, just maybe I'll carry a slightly thicker spring weight glove during the shoulder seasons if Wx is looking iffy.

I've seen quite a few HPG chest packs here in WNC, perhaps one of them was you?  As much as I want to try one, I've spent the better part of my career carrying Bendix King brick  radios and other SAR gear on my chest and recoil at the thought of doing so recreationally.  If I find one for cheap I may pick it up though.  

Nonetheless, due to it's sheer versatility I might recommend a Vanguard type kydex trigger guard holster with about 10" of pcord to your BC set up of choice.  Depending on the situation, I can carry my S&W Shield in either an M-4 size mag pouch MOLLE'd to a pack waist belt, stuck in a surplus ball bag, loose in my pocket around camp or in my tent or hammock.  The pcord is simply secured to a drain hole or belt loop or strap.  I try to keep the gun oriented in a standard position for consistency of draw.

Attachment Attached File

Hope the trip went/goes well!  That section of the AT is nice, especially at this time of year.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 6:23:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:Great post - as usual.  

Some random thoughts as a Carolina boy who really cut his outdoor teeth out west:

After years of never unpacking my gloves, even liners, unless it's full on winter I stopped carrying them.  Hiking with poles gets my hands warm pretty quickly.  Up on the AT, maybe, just maybe I'll carry a slightly thicker spring weight glove during the shoulder seasons if Wx is looking iffy.

I've seen quite a few HPG chest packs here in WNC, perhaps one of them was you?  As much as I want to try one, I've spent the better part of my career carrying Bendix King brick  radios and other SAR gear on my chest and recoil at the thought of doing so recreationally.  If I find one for cheap I may pick it up though.  

Nonetheless, due to it's sheer versatility I might recommend a Vanguard type kydex trigger guard holster with about 10" of pcord to your BC set up of choice.  Depending on the situation, I can carry my S&W Shield in either an M-4 size mag pouch MOLLE'd to a pack waist belt, stuck in a surplus ball bag, loose in my pocket around camp or in my tent or hammock.  The pcord is simply secured to a drain hole or belt loop or strap.  I try to keep the gun oriented in a standard position for consistency of draw.

Hope the trip went/goes well!  That section of the AT is nice, especially at this time of year.
View Quote
Yeah, my wife and I did some hiking north of Asheville a couple times last year, so that may very have been me with the HPG Kit Bag!

I can fully understand the reluctance to have anything on your chest.  I’ve done the IOTV and chest rigs in 100+degree temps enough to know it sucks.  I’ve found this Kit Bag (my backpacking one is the smaller “original Snubby”) a smaller footprint, easy way to carry and quickly access my CCW and a handy place for a few trail essentials.  Or, I’ve just developed tolerance for discomfort and I’m completely ignorant.

The Vanguard is a must; I have about a half dozen for various pistols I carry in my Kit Bags.  Not only is it a little added measure of safety by covering the trigger guard, I did have one good reminder that they also provide retention insurance.  I’ve used Kit Bags when fly fishing in some smaller mountain streams and having the main compartment open as a tray-shelf to access my fly gear, I accidently had my firearm compartment about halfway open and when I bent down to unsnag my fly, my handgun slipped out.  The Vanguard just served as pseudo retention lanyard and I would definitely recommend one for very active outdoors sports such as trail running, kayaking, or mountain biking.  

We’re just under a month out, so finishing up final preps.  We’ll mail off a couple resupply boxes after Memorial Day.  Our workouts are getting a little more extreme so I’m looking forward to getting on the trail for relaxation and sleeping in!  We’re up every morning at 0330 doing our workout routines; despite the physical aspect of backpacking, we really get our batteries recharged.  

Ironically enough, the day after we get back from knocking out that 130 mile section, my wife literally turns around the following day and is taking three other women back up to hike 50 miles south back into Hot Springs, NC.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 10:07:18 PM EDT
[#22]
cant read all the posts toooo long buuut

where is the spare m2 mags  or 1 spare mag and a small box of extra ammo  ????????

iam sure i missed it didn't I

1texan
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 6:18:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
cant read all the posts toooo long buuut

where is the spare m2 mags  or 1 spare mag and a small box of extra ammo  ????????

iam sure i missed it didn't I

1texan
View Quote
This is distance backpacking, not combat  Hell, I even weigh individual rounds!  No spare magazine and no extra ammo...it's a calculated risk weighing the probability of necessity with my minimal acceptable level of self-defense.  It's not for everyone as it's a personal decision; as we say, "hike your own hike".  Go do a 100-150 mile backpacking trip and then you'll figure out what is truly "needed" and what are comfort items; my handgun is a comfort item and I always have to assess and limit that particular weight.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 11:00:49 AM EDT
[#24]
@ROCK6

Update?
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 9:30:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
@ROCK6

Update?
View Quote
We are now in the FL Keys warming up??  traded packs in for kayaks and snorkel gear.  We might have a few days later in July between Arny retirement and next job.  Wife and I might try and finish that 70 miles to Damascus.  Water will be the only concern...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 12:40:45 PM EDT
[#26]
damn ultralighters... making me feel like a fatass with my 35lb pack 
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 3:18:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
damn ultralighters... making me feel like a fatass with my 35lb pack 
View Quote
35 is pretty good if it's your total weight.  With food, water, and fuel...30 pounds is my happy weight.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 4:45:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

We are now in the FL Keys warming up??  traded packs in for kayaks and snorkel gear.  We might have a few days later in July between Arny retirement and next job.  Wife and I might try and finish that 70 miles to Damascus.  Water will be the only concern...

ROCK6
View Quote
I walked the TN91 to Damascus section the other day and water was plentiful.  I'm trying to get back into backpacking after a ten year hiatus.  Problem is-my shit is too heavy now.  . I enjoyed your informative posts as I am trying to get lighter.  Also, I live a few miles outside of Damascus if you need anything at all.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 5:22:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I walked the TN91 to Damascus section the other day and water was plentiful.  I'm trying to get back into backpacking after a ten year hiatus.  Problem is-my shit is too heavy now.  . I enjoyed your informative posts as I am trying to get lighter.  Also, I live a few miles outside of Damascus if you need anything at all.
View Quote
Thanks for the update, we may try and get up there in the next couple of weeks...water is kind of important to keep the pack weight down

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:43:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Today I saw a fella outside of Mt. Rogers outfitters in Damascus with a HPG kit bag.  What made me take notice was the hiker standing a few yards away with a drop holster/maxpediton-ish bag.   I thought to myself: "Those guys must be arfcommers-because they look nothing like the usual crowd."  Was it you ROCK6? Lol

I have a question about your Circuit pack if you don't mind.

I have agonized over what brand/type of pack to get. My trusty old pack weighs over 6lbs in "stripped down mode" So...after wayyy too much research I've decided on a ULA but I can't choose between the Circuit and the OHM 2.0.  I can't "get both" as I am dropping some serious $ to get my gear both lighter and updated.

I will mostly be section hiking on the AT.  I usually like to only go for 3-4 days tops in between resupply, but I have gone longer in the past. Hopefully my new base weight will be around 12lbs.  Less, if I update my tent and a few other things.  Do you feel the Circuit is too large for shorter trips? Or do you find yourself needing more room?  The ohm is somewhat lighter and more compact, so I don't know if I can make everything fit comfortably without getting poked in the back.  And lastly If you had to get a (any brand)new lightweight pack today, what would it be?

Everyone else feel free to chime in.  I feel like I'm starting over again from scratch.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 8:26:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Today I saw a fella outside of Mt. Rogers outfitters in Damascus with a HPG kit bag.  What made me take notice was the hiker standing a few yards away with a drop holster/maxpediton-ish bag.   I thought to myself: "Those guys must be arfcommers-because they look nothing like the usual crowd."  Was it you ROCK6? Lol

I have a question about your Circuit pack if you don't mind.

I have agonized over what brand/type of pack to get. My trusty old pack weighs over 6lbs in "stripped down mode" So...after wayyy too much research I've decided on a ULA but I can't choose between the Circuit and the OHM 2.0.  I can't "get both" as I am dropping some serious $ to get my gear both lighter and updated.

I will mostly be section hiking on the AT.  I usually like to only go for 3-4 days tops in between resupply, but I have gone longer in the past. Hopefully my new base weight will be around 12lbs.  Less, if I update my tent and a few other things.  Do you feel the Circuit is too large for shorter trips? Or do you find yourself needing more room?  The ohm is somewhat lighter and more compact, so I don't know if I can make everything fit comfortably without getting poked in the back.  And lastly If you had to get a (any brand)new lightweight pack today, what would it be?

Everyone else feel free to chime in.  I feel like I'm starting over again from scratch.
View Quote
Not me in Damascus, but that's pretty cool another Kit Bag was spotted  

The Ohm would likely work just fine as they recommend a base weight of about 12 pounds and maximum of 30.  To be honest, if I was buying a new pack, it would be the Circuit again.  Not sure why, but it fits me well and is just the right size for trips as short as 2 days or as long as 7-9 days.  The only challenges other than keeping weight down, is bulk.  The Circuit (and the other ULA packs) compress well and adjust to your load size to keep them from getting floppy or out of balance.  I'm happily satisfied with my base weight between 13-15 pounds, so the Circuit fits me perfectly (I like the multicam option as well).  

Where I think the Circuit has more flexibility is shorter, cold weather trips, extending the usefulness of the pack.  It will expand for the additional insulation bulk necessary for colder temps.

Believe me, I'm constantly on the search for new gear, to include packs.  The fit, the simple design, the pockets (and their handy size), all make the Circuit really hard to beat for me...

ROCK6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top