Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2017 4:36:32 PM EDT
I have recently gained an interest in doing some light backpacking and/or kayak camping as a result of being a cave diver and spending a lot of time in north Central Florida on the Suwannee and Santa Fe rivers. Over the years, I've bought various things for my bug out bag that could be used for camping, but a lot of it was not light enough for anything resembling a true backpacking setup. I've set up and camped out of the hammock gear I've got for three days already and it's probably the most comfortable sleep I've gotten in years. Didn't rain, but there was plenty of sun and wind and night time temps into the low to mid 50's. My back was cold around 3-4am, so I'll need an under quilt for anything colder than that (not sure how much MORE room that will take up, but I'll deal with it when I get there and can afford the $220 or so I'm gonna drop on a HammockGear Incubator40). Just throwing a sweatshirt and a stolen top sheet off my girlfriend's air mattress in the tent she was using was enough to keep the chill off my back and I was wearing a thin t-shirt and nylon shorts to sleep in - if I actually dressed appropriately for weather, I'd probably be fine in slightly cooler temps without the under quilt. The camp pillow was a comfortable addition, even though it takes up a bit of room.

The stove I have used before, not sure how long a 100g fuel container will last me (more testing to come on that), but it boiled water quickly and for $20 I can't complain about the size, weight, or efficiency. I debated getting rid of the Stanley pot (deeper one with the green cup) to save space, but I'll still need a second Nalgene cup to drink or cook out of if I'm boiling water in the first one and eating something other than Mountain House or other FD foods. I've tried all the kinds I have and found them edible or surprisingly good.

The portable phone charger will recharge my iPhone 6 about 5-6 times I believe. Having that and the ability to recharge my GoPro on an overnight trip is something I'm not willing to give up, and the charger, cables, and phone itself will all fit in the drybox pictured with a little bit of room to spare.

Haven't used the water filter yet, just got it for Christmas. The goal of this bag as set up is to last me 1-2 nights on a short hiking or kayaking trip. I know there is not enough food in there for 2 nights/3 days, that can be added to the bag itself or carried separately in the dry compartment of my kayak if necessary (and some kind of variation other than freeze-dried food would be happening, too).

Just went through all of my stuff and organized it/downsized quite a bit (don't laugh) to this:

Shelter

ENO DoubleNest hammock
ENO Guardian bug net
Chill Gorilla XL hammock straps
Eastern Ridge rain fly
Kelty Cosmic down sleeping bag (40 deg)
Field & Stream camp pillow
550 cord & carabiners

Cooking/Food
Primus stove
100g Jetboil fuel canister
GSI Outdoors Nalgene pot
Stanley pot w/ green cup
Small section of brillo pad
GSI silverware
Instant grits
Instant coffee
Powdered creamer, sugar, salt & pepper
Mountain House entrees (rice & chicken, mac & cheese, breakfast skillet)

Water
100oz / 3L Camelbak bladder with hose insulation
32oz Nalgene bottle
Sawyer Mini filter
Life Straw backup filter

Light/Fire
Princeton Tec Vizz headlight
2 green chem lights
2 Bic lighters
2 Esbit fuel cubes
Matches
Flint/Mag block

Snivel Bag/Toiletries
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Bandaids
Q-tips
Flushable wipes
Magic towel (11x11in towel)
Hand sanitizer

Other
Glasses case & repair kit
Fixed blade knife
Multi-tool
Rite in the Rain pad/ballpoint pen
2 trash bags
1 plastic bag
Fishing-style face shield

Yet to be added
Various medications (ibuprofen, Benedryl, Immodium, etc)
Bug spray
Spare batteries for headlamp
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 7:15:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Simplify your mess kit with a GSI minimalist, you can store your stove and fuel inside of it too.
Boil your water over a fire made from small branches when possible, to conserve fuel for your stove
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 9:32:34 PM EDT
[#2]
What he's got should work pretty darn well for nesting purposes.

BUDGET BACKPACKING COOK KITS - DON'T OVERSPEND!

ETA:  Then of course, there's this comment.....

NEVER EVER store your alcohol burner inside your coocking utensils like that!!! If there is one drop of alcohol left in the burner when you put it in the pot and it for some reason leaks out your food will taste like crap forever! Especially if you use common methylated spirit/denatured alcohol as your fuel! You can try to clean that pot out forever but it will always taste like burner fuel what ever you try to cook in it if you get the slightest amount of burner fuel in it. ALWAYS store the burner and the fuel container seperate from your cooking utensils so there are NO RISK that the fuel can contaminate it!!!! otherwise you might end up having to buy a whole new coocking kit when you get back after a hike.
View Quote
OP, one question:  What are you going to use to dig a hole to shit in?  Also, are you going to use the single ziplock to store the toilet paper in, or use the trash bags?
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 12:41:35 AM EDT
[#3]
TP will be going in a ziploc once I get a roll used up enough (about halfway) to put it in there. Need a small shovel/digging tool of some sort, don't have one yet. I've only used this stuff in actual campgrounds so far (with community water spigots and bath houses).
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 5:07:44 AM EDT
[#4]
For a trowel, you can pick up a simple garden trowel (I have Fiskars, but there are similar brands) for just a couple bucks at WalMart.  I bought my wife a nice, expensive titanium trowel that she doesn't care for; instead, she picked up this:  Tentlab's Duece of Spades Trowel, and loves it.  It only weighs 0.6 ounce.

Overall, your kit looks solid.  We do a lot of backpacking with hammocks and temps can dip into the 40's even during the summer in the mountains.  I took a Thermarest Z-lite folding sleeping pad and cut off a six-section piece.  If folds up nicely and is stored inside my pack against my back (actually, I have a hydration bladder as well and it goes up against that).  For me, it's the perfect size to use in a hammock to insulate me from my neck to my butt.  If I expect colder temps, I'll pack along my JRB under-quilt as well, but the Z-Lite section is added insurance with several other uses.

I know a lot of focus is dealing with cold weather, but many don't do much primitive camping in the SE during the summer months because it's just too hot and humid.  Hammocks have proven the most comfortable means of sleeping during these months down here.  Even at 70-80 degrees a nice breeze beneath the hammock can be quite cooling.  The real beauty of a hammock is after a long day of hiking, you can set it up and just lounge in it very comfortably...nothing beats the lounging comfort in the outdoors for such as fast and easy setup.

As you start doing more distance treks, you can slowly upgrade and lighten some of your items.  My wife is now using ENO's Sub7 hammock.  Switching to simple SmartWater water bottles instead of the Nalgene.  Since you have a cooking pot, you could switch to something like the Sea to Summit collapsible mug vice the GSI nesting stainless cup; actually the Stanley kit already has a separate cup...just a consideration.  Just a few quick observations, but really nothing needed unless you want to start cutting a few ounces.  I would first recommend doing some distance hikes with it before investing...you'll end up buying that expensive titanium trowel that just doesn't work all that well!

I'm just starting to go through my current pack kit for an upcoming 130 mile AT section hike with my wife.  My pack base weight is down to 12 pounds, 13 ounces (excludes food, water and fuel); if the low temps look to be in the 40's, I'll likely add my 16oz JRB under-quilt.  With my , I try to keep my total pack weight under 24-25 pounds (3 liters of water, 4 days of food and 9 ounces of alcohol which is more than enough fuel for 4-5 days).  I also carry a HPG Kit Bag (carries CCW, map and a few essentials) weighing in at 3lbs, 8oz; with my Kit Bag, my total weight is about 27.5-28 pounds.  Understand that we keep our food weight to about 24-30 ounces per day and typically for a distance hike we will plan a resupply ever 3-5 days depending on availability.  I can carry more water, but try to maintain about 2-3 liters between a hydration bladder and SmartWater bottle; filling up as we come across water sources.  

I know I could shave another pound or two pretty easy as I've included some lightweight barefoot sandals (Xeroshoes), I've decided to take two AA (14500) LED lights (Zebra and Fenix RC05) to test out; I really don't need my Mora knife, but it has just become part of my pack, and I know I need to trim my FAK down a little as well.  A few extra comfort items can provide some much needed physical and mental comfort.  

Just get out and do some hiking and shorter backpacking trips with you kit...as I mentioned, it looks solid as is and well thought out...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 9:26:48 AM EDT
[#5]
A titanium trowel.....sounds like something Superman would use.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 9:46:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A titanium trowel.....sounds like something Superman would use.  
View Quote
I was backpacking in Olympic NP a couple years ago and ran into a middle aged lady who swore her titanium trowel was like the greatest backpacking invention of all time. I was like WTF? I've never used a trowel or thought I needed to in all my backpacking. The comment above made me think of that lol

On a more serious note, another thing I would recommend is strapping a pair of Crocs to your pack. It's pretty nice to be able to take your boots off at camp after a long day and just slide on the crocs to let your feet and boots dry out, yet gives your feet protection and you mobility. Great if you have wade into a rocky stream or river to bathe or cross it. Sandals work but Crocs give your foot near full protection and they only weigh a few ounces. Just my 2 cents 
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 10:09:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Just me, but I'd go stoveless. Ditch the stove, fuel, cook pots, mugs, etc.

I'd ditch the Nalgene and the water bladder and get Smart Water bottles or Gatorade bottles.

I'd ditch one lighter, the mag block and all but 10 matches. The hand sanitizer is a great firestarter, and you have the sparker on one lighter, even if the lighter runs out of gas.

I'd cut the toothbrush in half (and keep the brushy end!)

I'd ditch the notepad and just take the refill out of the pen to write on candy bar wrappers.

I'd ditch the knife and carry a small Swiss Army Knive with scissors and tweezers.

I'd get a lighter pack.

That sort of thing.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 10:11:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Also, ditch those heavy Q-tips and use a field expedient stick!
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 11:25:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Signal
Whistle, I like the Fox 40 Mini and Micro but there are several good options.

Sun Protection
Sunscreen.
Hat. I wear a boonie hat that I've had for years. Didn't cost much, good sun protection, won't blow off no matter how hard the wind blows.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 12:28:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I was backpacking in Olympic NP a couple years ago and ran into a middle aged lady who swore her titanium trowel was like the greatest backpacking invention of all time. I was like WTF? I've never used a trowel or thought I needed to in all my backpacking. The comment above made me think of that lol
View Quote
You need to bury your crap 6" deep where the proper bacteria lives to break it down. It sucks to be walking near camp and find a 'floater' somebody just covered with a little dirt (not saying this is you). Bury your shit!

Trowel

Has depth gauge molded in - also easy on the hands - only bummer its ORANGE

Link Posted: 4/10/2017 12:34:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Why's it called a Snivel Bag?
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 12:51:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
How do you bury your turds, if you have to crap while out on the trail?
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 4:35:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Why's it called a Snivel Bag?
View Quote
An expression I learned in the Army.  Your Snivel Gear is all the stuff those who sniffle and snuff need while out in the woods doing manly stuff.  I.e. tissues, wetwipes, toothbrush, soap, mouthwash (not mouthwarsh, that's what you put in your canteen), etc.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 6:04:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Much depends on the terrain.  The new "standard" depth for turd burying is much less than it use to be.  LNT now teaches only 3-4 inches of top soil as that is the predominant location of red worms and other "composting" bugs which break down feces much faster.  Some locations, you can just use a stick, but our hiking is pretty varied and a sharp trowel helps to chip through rocky soil or cut through numerous roots in the soil.  I've also just built a cairn around my turd as digging wasn't even an option...this is the reason I never mess with the small cairns you sometimes see when backpacking

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 6:26:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Find a softer spot in the ground and use a stick or a flat rock. Must be the terrain I'm generally in but being unable to dig about a 4-6" hole with natural tools has never really been an issue. Im sure in dryer areas this would be more difficult. I'm sure a trowel would make the task easier but I wouldn't exactly call it essential
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 11:42:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm not too concerned about getting every last ounce out of the pack as I can, yet... haven't even started hiking with it. If I use it this summer it will be for short overnight kayak trips where I'll be camping near the river. Even then, I'm broke, so buying some fancy new stuff may not happen for quite a while. lol

I wish I knew there would be more cool weather coming during the weekends, but it looks like summer weather is pretty much here....
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 6:00:29 AM EDT
[#17]
I've posted a bunch of my pack list before. But.

I use the stanley cook pit as well.
Throw out the green cup.
No need for that second pot.
Carry one nalgene or a liter water bottle.

I cook..in the stanley and drink my coffee from it.

I cook with a soda can stove. 2-4 oz of denatured Will last 2-3 days at one oz per use. I don't cook my lunch. And lately I just build a small cooking fire....no "Whitemans" fire for me lol 

I'm new to hammock camping but I run a 32f marmot bag..good base layer and put a deflated thermarest under me. Low of 50 and I was good to go.

Strap some crocs or flip flood to your pack.
First thing I do once my shelter is up.
Change into a dry shirt....and put my sandals on.

Yeah. Summer is here. But it won't get nasty nasty to june/july ...may be least 1-2 good under 85..low 50s nights left.

Packs a redcloud right? It'll be tight for winter trips past weekend in length...
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:40:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Hammockgear.com has really nice top/under quilts for a decent price. 
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:01:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Throw out the green cup.

I cook with a soda can stove. 2-4 oz of denatured Will last 2-3 days at one oz per use. I don't cook my lunch. And lately I just build a small cooking fire....no "Whitemans" fire for me lol 

I'm new to hammock camping but I run a 32f marmot bag..good base layer and put a deflated thermarest under me. Low of 50 and I was good to go.

I'll have to get more time cooking with the stove before I decide exactly what cookware I'm going to keep/get rid of. I had two pots in there, but I can't come up with a good, defensible reason why right now (brain dead kinda afternoon... been up since 4:30am and got home from work trying to open my front door with the key fob from my SUV, LOL). I tend to drink a LOT of water, especially when I do something outside (painting houses with a buddy of mine for extra cash right now, and it's nothing to drink a gallon, gallon and a half of fluids a day at minimum).

My 40 degree bag spread open and laid across me, and a twin flat sheet under my back were enough to keep me pretty reasonably warm in the hammock that weekend at Ginnie. I woke up one time each night (which I'd generally blame on having to pee, as either my girlfriend or I have been up for work at 3:30-4:00am for the last few years on and off) feeling cold on my back and that was in the mid-to-low 50's. The deflated thermarest is a good idea... how comfortable is it being under your back? I'm kinda picky about stuff like that - if something is wadded up underneath me or super noticeable, I can't sleep with it there. I was surprised I even liked that camp pillow at all. My buddy snagged it for me at Dick's for $10 before we went outta town, and it worked out perfectly turned long ways - didn't wad up in the hammock or move around on its own at all.

Yeah. Summer is here. But it won't get nasty nasty to june/july ...may be least 1-2 good under 85..low 50s nights left.

I hate being outside in the summertime down here, unless I'm on/in the water. I'm kinda the opposite of most people - winter is when I go diving, camping, fishing, etc. Once it gets to the miserable hot weather, I have zero interest in being outdoors unless I'm getting wet somehow. I normally log way more hours playing Xbox or watching movies in the summer than the winter...

Packs a redcloud right? It'll be tight for winter trips past weekend in length...

Redwing, but yeah. It's a 50L pack.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Throw out the green cup.

I'll have to get more time cooking with the stove before I decide exactly what cookware I'm going to keep/get rid of. I had two pots in there, but I can't come up with a good, defensible reason why right now (brain dead kinda afternoon... been up since 4:30am and got home from work trying to open my front door with the key fob from my SUV, LOL). I tend to drink a LOT of water, especially when I do something outside (painting houses with a buddy of mine for extra cash right now, and it's nothing to drink a gallon, gallon and a half of fluids a day at minimum).

My 40 degree bag spread open and laid across me, and a twin flat sheet under my back were enough to keep me pretty reasonably warm in the hammock that weekend at Ginnie. I woke up one time each night (which I'd generally blame on having to pee, as either my girlfriend or I have been up for work at 3:30-4:00am for the last few years on and off) feeling cold on my back and that was in the mid-to-low 50's. The deflated thermarest is a good idea... how comfortable is it being under your back? I'm kinda picky about stuff like that - if something is wadded up underneath me or super noticeable, I can't sleep with it there. I was surprised I even liked that camp pillow at all. My buddy snagged it for me at Dick's for $10 before we went outta town, and it worked out perfectly turned long ways - didn't wad up in the hammock or move around on its own at all.

I hate being outside in the summertime down here, unless I'm on/in the water. I'm kinda the opposite of most people - winter is when I go diving, camping, fishing, etc. Once it gets to the miserable hot weather, I have zero interest in being outdoors unless I'm getting wet somehow. I normally log way more hours playing Xbox or watching movies in the summer than the winter...

Redwing, but yeah. It's a 50L pack.
Quoted:
Hammockgear.com has really nice top/under quilts for a decent price. 
That's where I'm planning on ordering my under quilt from. The only piece of information I'm missing are the packed dimensions once the quilt is in the stuff sack. On that subject, I also need to make some sort of hanging rod/rack for my down bag so I can store it un-compressed... currently don't have anywhere to hang it up. Closet is way too full of my girlfriend's and my clothes and my gun cases, luggage, etc. I'd prefer to hang it in the other closet but I'm not sure there's any more room in there... and it really would benefit from having some type of spindle with three or four "legs" on it that I could spin 360 degrees, mounted to the wall, that I could hang multiple bags/items on...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top