Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2017 4:57:02 PM EDT
I'm rehabbing a knee injury on the treadmill and pass
the hours on youtube.  I watched this guys load out
video and thought he seems a little heavy...

ER''s AT Thru Hike Gear Review

Man he's got his shit squared away.  46 days later
he's putting in 25 mile days and regularly posting.
Good stuff, lots of tips and insights about life on
the trail.

ER''s Thru Hike Day 1-2 Springer Mountain to Neels Gap
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 5:22:14 PM EDT
[#1]
My son is doing this right now, he's a northbound (NOBO), on the trail for just over a month.   I dropped him off on Springer Mountain, walked the first two miles with him, and sent him on his way.   He's in Damascus VA right now, enjoying a down day.   His starting load was 25 pounds without food and water, 35 pounds with food and water.   As he has moved along he has pared it down it bit, it should lighten up more as the weather gets warmer.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 7:27:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Tag...so far I'm liking his adventures.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 10:16:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm hoping PCT next year
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 4:55:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm hoping PCT next year
View Quote
I'm planning a first multi day week long walk in the fall .
Be my first long trip since I destroyed my back 5 years ago.
Losing weight...and rucking 3-4 Times a week.

I want to complete part of the FT I've been segment hiking for years..just do it all at once..

Interesting the youtuberr loads for 4-5 days the re supplies...I figured they'd go longer.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 7:55:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll have to catch up on his reviews as his base-weight was quite a bit and I know there are several items he's probably already shipped home.  Man, his employer is generous "issuing" Arc'Teryx equipment  My wife is getting excited as we are doing another section in June and finishing up to Damascus, VA; it's only 130 miles, but is a good stretch for us.  It's hard to do sections as it always takes a few days to get your trail legs and by the time we feel we could extend our daily distance, we are nearing the end.  Synchronizing schedules is hard enough, so we rarely get more than a couple weeks to do a section; we would love to do a thru hike.  My wife has put the Wonderland Trail (100 miles) that runs around Mt. Rainier and the John Muir trail (210 miles) on our bucket list to accomplish over the next few years...

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interesting the youtuberr loads for 4-5 days the re supplies...I figured they'd go longer.
View Quote
It's just easier to keep weight down and hike faster with the resupplies.  My wife and I did a just over 100 miles with an 8-day supply of food (averaged about 13 miles a day) so we know we can do it, but our pacing is slower until the food weight starts dropping after about 4-5 days.  It's funny because I would rather just stay on the trail longer as it does take time at some locations to get off the trail and hike to the Post Office, Hostile or Outfitters to pick up your resupply, but we've made it part of the trip, so a burger and a beer make powerful motivators  I would say we average about 4-5 days on trail before resupply. I think for this 130 miles in June, we will probably do two supply pickups, maybe must one, but it depends on availability/distance and the hassle factor.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 11:27:37 PM EDT
[#6]
You got me hooked on watching his trip on youtube everyday!
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 5:38:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah..I jump around..day 1..to 5..then a group..then jump to 20ish...30ish etc.
Good stuff though.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:56:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Got another piece of my kit last night...

Osprey Atmos 65l.  REI member sale.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top