Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2017 11:06:10 AM EDT
I sleep with a CPAP so we are pretty much limited to camp sites with power. I was wondering what others are doing to run their CPAP manchines? We tent camp and I'd like to get to some more remote areas but needing power prevents that. Generators are pretty much forbidden at campgrounds around here and since we are only running my CPAP it would be silly to have one anyway. What are others doing out there?
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 12:12:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll preface this by saying I have no idea how CPAP machines work.

I would start out by searching for portable CPAP Power or something like that, or see what kind of power your machine requires, then go from there.  I think Home Depot makes a small generator that runs on a charged battery, but I don't know much else about it.  I think it was Black & Decker.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 12:29:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Enough batteries will power anything, it's just a question of charging them back up in the alotted span of time, particularly if you go solar.

As a starting point, you might look at the input voltage on your device. I suspect you use some sort of AC-DC transformer to power it. If you could power it directly with DC, that would probably be a bit more efficient.

Then you'd need to figure out how many amp-hours you'd need to power the device while you're sleeping.

Then you'd decide if you want to take enough batteries for the whole trip, or charge them.

Then you'd decide on which type of batteries to take and your charging method.

It's nice that you have sites that prohibit generators. I've found that sites without electricity tend to be more annoying because half a dozen people have Harbor Freight generators running all day.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 8:07:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one of these:
CPAP
I have the 12v adapter for it.

I use these:
battery

I get three 8-hour nights out of two batteries (meaning, you have to switch out a battery during the second night).  I haven't tried any charging method while camping other than using a 12v power inverter through a Harbor Freight 12v motorcycle charger.  I'm sure there are better ways.

This will NOT work with heated tubing or the humidifier.  You need MUCH more battery capacity for those.

This summer I'm going to try a deep cycle marine battery while at home, just to see how long one will last.  Obviously weight is an issue, and my solutions won't work for backpacking (unless you're winter camping out of a pulk).

H_M
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:40:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have one of these:
CPAP
I have the 12v adapter for it.

I use these:
battery

I get three 8-hour nights out of two batteries (meaning, you have to switch out a battery during the second night).  I haven't tried any charging method while camping other than using a 12v power inverter through a Harbor Freight 12v motorcycle charger.  I'm sure there are better ways.

This will NOT work with heated tubing or the humidifier.  You need MUCH more battery capacity for those.

This summer I'm going to try a deep cycle marine battery while at home, just to see how long one will last.  Obviously weight is an issue, and my solutions won't work for backpacking (unless you're winter camping out of a pulk).

H_M
View Quote
If you can get a night and a half out of 9AH, I bet a decent LIPO battery would get you a couple of days and a lot less weight. Something like this on Amazon.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 8:02:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If you can get a night and a half out of 9AH, I bet a decent LIPO battery would get you a couple of days and a lot less weight. Something like this on Amazon.
View Quote
Holy poor translation from Chinese, Batman!

Still, interesting. I didn't know those came in 12v configuration. I may have to explore that as an option. Price-weight trade-off might be worth it. Thanks for the link!
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 5:37:51 PM EDT
[#6]
My dad runs his CPAP (travel version) off a small inverter plugged into the solar setup at their camper in NM.  Their camper just has 3 12v deep cycle batteries and a el cheap harbor freight solar setup.  It doesn't use much juice, but it isn't really portable either
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 5:39:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 6:12:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
there has to be one that runs on regular batteries
View Quote
I wish there was. There may be, but none that I'm aware of in the States. FDA, you know.

There is some evolving nano technology out there. I don't know how viable it is, though. Would be great to find a simple battery operated unit!
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 9:29:31 AM EDT
[#9]
My dad runs his off of a jump pack that has a 12v plug as well as a 3 prong outlet.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 9:45:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Not a cpap user, but this should fit the bill:

https://www.renogy.com/products/kits/camping
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top