Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2017 8:09:11 PM EDT
Just got the MC-2 Global.  While working on the ins/outs of the thing (I'm proficient w/ a compass, some new stuff I'm learning though), I noticed the bezel was really loose.  So loose, that when I turn it I'm not longer confident that I have the right bearing.  When I say "loose" I mean the ring will shift to the left/right/up/down.  It can be off at least a degree.  And while a single degree or two shouldn't be cause for concern, I spent a lot of money and didn't figure this would be an issue.  

Is there something I'm missing?  Here's what I'm talking about.

Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:48:38 PM EDT
[#1]
At a minimum I'd check others in local stores to see if they're the same way. If not, back it goes!
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:43:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Call Suunto.  They'll swap it out.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 8:26:42 PM EDT
[#3]
No, a loose bezel is not normal. As was suggested, call and swap it out. I have a similar model. Everything is snug as a bug.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 7:31:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No, a loose bezel is not normal. As was suggested, call and swap it out. I have a similar model. Everything is snug as a bug.
View Quote
I ended up taking it back to REI.  Just to be sure, we took another off the shelf to see if the bezel was loose on it as well.  Sure enough, it had more play in it than my original.  So I didn't exchange it, just got my money back and got some other stuff.

I went back a couple days later and they had pulled all of them off the shelf.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 2:43:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Good move.

Although, that's a shame about Suunto
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 3:00:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Good move.

View Quote
Yeah I was really looking forward to using it, but spending $95 on a compass that didn't work right made me a bit bitter. I'll continue to use my Cammenga until it craps out, which will probably be soon.  The Cammenga seems to take much better bearings when sighting in, or is at least much easier since I don't have to look at backwards numbers in a mirror.  Why put a mirror there in the first place considering it doesn't really work right.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 8:50:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Did you check the declination screw to see if that's the problem?
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 12:10:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Did you check the declination screw to see if that's the problem?
View Quote
Yep, fiddled with it for a while.  It just seems the hole they cut in the clear plastic was just a bit too big for the actual compass piece.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 5:53:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yeah I was really looking forward to using it, but spending $95 on a compass that didn't work right made me a bit bitter. I'll continue to use my Cammenga until it craps out, which will probably be soon.  The Cammenga seems to take much better bearings when sighting in, or is at least much easier since I don't have to look at backwards numbers in a mirror.  Why put a mirror there in the first place considering it doesn't really work right.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good move.

I've got a beat to shit cammenga . Paints peeled off it etc. I should take some model paint to it...
I'm used to map style compasses ...so it's a learning curve.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 10:40:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've got a beat to shit cammenga . Paints peeled off it etc. I should take some model paint to it...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good move.

Only thing I don't really like about my Cammenga is that it doesn't really have a "shed".
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 2:46:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
95?! Dollars?!
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 8:04:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
95?! Dollars?!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

95?! Dollars?!
It's the global version.  Designed to work south and north.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 5:41:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

95?! Dollars?!
Yeah, it says that in the first post. It's $65 on Amazon and $63 at The Compass Store. I paid $36 for a Suunto MC-2G from Forestry-Suppliers several years ago. I'm shocked how much the price has gone up.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 5:12:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I know nothing about this place. Never did business with them! So let the buy beware: Factory outlet store:

But: Suunto MC-2/360/G/D/L  for $49.95. And if I read it right Free Shipping!!!

Hope this helps someone!

PITA45
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:20:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I have that model, and another one. I LOVE the global needle. Gets on point quick and stays there.

I mostly use a gpsr but I always have a backup compass and I like to be able to confirm the GPS.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:41:13 AM EDT
[#16]
I know its a month old thread but I have the Suunto M9 wrist compass and its really cheap. Only works in northern hemisphere. I got it for about 20 bucks and is a back up to my Foretrex gps. Might be worth looking into for some of you

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top