Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/26/2017 5:52:41 PM EDT
And I need some advice. My cousin entered the drawing and won so he and I will be going the first week of June. This will be my first adventure of the sort. I'm 28 and in fairly good physical shape that being said...

What can I do to prepare physically? I'm guessing lots of cardio is in order.

Recommendations on hiking boots? I really like the Salomon brand, have two pair of their shoes and love them.

Anything I should know as a first timer?

There will be more questions as I dig more into this.

Last but not least, am I gonna die on this hike?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:00:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Tagging this for the adventure.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:01:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Yay
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:07:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tagging this for the adventure.
View Quote
I can't wait. I've always wanted to do something like this and I'm not getting any younger.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:19:57 PM EDT
[#4]
22 miles, 6100 feet of elevation gain, and they recommend 2 days to do it.

Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:32:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Go to Colorado, drive up to the summit of Mount Evans or Pikes Peak (both over 14,000 feet), then go for a jog.  Report back.

But seriously - slow and steady wins the race.  You're not acclimated much to the altitude living in Mississippi.  I'd suggest spending a few days or even a week at higher altitudes before you start the climb, to let your body acclimate to the lower oxygen content in the air.

I lived in CO for ten years, and used to take a lot of lowlanders up into the mountains.  The effects ranged from comical to downright scary.  Don't underestimate it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:49:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Go to Colorado, drive up to the summit of Mount Evans or Pikes Peak (both over 14,000 feet), then go for a jog.  Report back.

But seriously - slow and steady wins the race.  You're not acclimated much to the altitude living in Mississippi.  I'd suggest spending a few days or even a week at higher altitudes before you start the climb, to let your body acclimate to the lower oxygen content in the air.

I lived in CO for ten years, and used to take a lot of lowlanders up into the mountains.  The effects ranged from comical to downright scary.  Don't underestimate it.
View Quote
We are planning on camping for 4 days and doing shorter hikes prior to trying to reach the summit. I have been up in the mountains a few times to go snow skiing and didn't have anything serious happen other than some headaches so the altitude wont be completely new to me. Do you think 4 days will be sufficient?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:16:49 PM EDT
[#7]
At the foot of it is a restaurant called Alabama hills cafe.  You're gonna wanna go there.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:34:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

We are planning on camping for 4 days and doing shorter hikes prior to trying to reach the summit. I have been up in the mountains a few times to go snow skiing and didn't have anything serious happen other than some headaches so the altitude wont be completely new to me. Do you think 4 days will be sufficient?
View Quote
Four days would be the absolute minimum, IMHO.

The headaches were probably caused or exacerbated by dehydration.  Make sure you drink plenty of fluids.  As I used to tell visitors to Colorado, if you wait until you're thirsty, you're already dehydrated.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:45:05 PM EDT
[#9]
When there, hydrate.

Before you go, lots of stairs and build up the weight in your pack as you do them. It's good that you're going to spend a few days there in advance. It will help you acclimate a little bit.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:02:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey OP, it will be a fun time no matter what. Here's what I can offer - I've been up Whitney several times and at one time did quite a bit of Sierra hiking.

1) It's an easy trail, not technically difficult at all. As such, it's more mental than physical for someone in your age group assuming your are already sports-inclined. Training should be cardio, but also just plain long walks. 22 miles is a ways if you aren't used to all-dayers.

2) June of this year will probably still have a LOT of snow at high elevation, so there will be places where the trail will be covered. That said, the billions of people going up there before you will have hammered the path into shape. Keep an eye on the various forums about hiking Whitney and the Sierra for latest conditions reports.

3) Usually the weather is nice that time of year, but anything can happen. Including hail/snow storms. Have a waterproof parka shell and pack cover (Osprey makes a nice light one).

4) Going from low to high elevation is all about drinking fluids. Drink constantly on the hike up, have a plan to filter water from the last lake (and melting snowbanks higher up can work as well).

5) Acclimate by taking some shorter hikes at mid-high elevation during the couple of days previous, sleep at mid-high elevation a night or two previous. The Cottonwood Lakes trailhead at 10,000 is perfect for this, and is close to Whitney. Also the Onion Valley trailhead. Also the Westgard Pass highway over the White Mountains just across Owen's Valley.

6) I've never done Whitney (or other big California peaks) as campouts. I always do one-dayers, simply because I don't like to carry a ton of gear and I like to stay fast and flexible. Think about it - a fast walk is 4 mph. Assume that a slow hike with a ~20lb load (no more than this for a dayhike, 15 lb is better) is 2 mph. That's 11 hours of walking. The trick is to not constantly stop and "rest", the body gets all out of sync. Better to warm up and keep moving, with stops only every 2 hours, and then not very long (5-10 min). If dayhiking, you can leave the trailhead at ~4am and be on top for lunch, and take your time coming down. A steady pace easily covers 1000 ft/hr vertical, as long as you are not constantly stopping. Whether camping or dayhiking, I 100% guarantee you that the reason why people "fail" to summit is because they are constantly stopping.

7) I've taken a few "noobs" up Whitney on dayhikes, and they all did fine. It's all about prep (mental/physical) and planning. Keep it simple. Example: my sister wanted to do it when she was 14, not particularly athletic, but not a couch potato either. I told her to jog every day for 2 months, and do 5-6 mile hikes 2 times a week. We did a "prep" hike up Mt. Langley (14k), which has less elevation gain and distance but is actually a more "difficult" hike. Of course I didn't tell her that, and she made it. When we did Whitney a couple weeks later, it wasn't like pulling teeth, but actually very enjoyable. I think that was a 12 hour car-to-car, pretty typical.

8) Don't bring it if you don't need it. There are plenty of good forum posts out there with "recommended" loadouts. Gear kills.

Have fun, bring a camera!
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:34:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
At the foot of it is a restaurant called Alabama hills cafe.  You're gonna wanna go there.
View Quote
Noted. Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:41:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hey OP, it will be a fun time no matter what. Here's what I can offer - I've been up Whitney several times and at one time did quite a bit of Sierra hiking.

1) It's an easy trail, not technically difficult at all. As such, it's more mental than physical for someone in your age group assuming your are already sports-inclined. Training should be cardio, but also just plain long walks. 22 miles is a ways if you aren't used to all-dayers.

2) June of this year will probably still have a LOT of snow at high elevation, so there will be places where the trail will be covered. That said, the billions of people going up there before you will have hammered the path into shape. Keep an eye on the various forums about hiking Whitney and the Sierra for latest conditions reports.

3) Usually the weather is nice that time of year, but anything can happen. Including hail/snow storms. Have a waterproof parka shell and pack cover (Osprey makes a nice light one).

4) Going from low to high elevation is all about drinking fluids. Drink constantly on the hike up, have a plan to filter water from the last lake (and melting snowbanks higher up can work as well).

5) Acclimate by taking some shorter hikes at mid-high elevation during the couple of days previous, sleep at mid-high elevation a night or two previous. The Cottonwood Lakes trailhead at 10,000 is perfect for this, and is close to Whitney. Also the Onion Valley trailhead. Also the Westgard Pass highway over the White Mountains just across Owen's Valley.

6) I've never done Whitney (or other big California peaks) as campouts. I always do one-dayers, simply because I don't like to carry a ton of gear and I like to stay fast and flexible. Think about it - a fast walk is 4 mph. Assume that a slow hike with a ~20lb load (no more than this for a dayhike, 15 lb is better) is 2 mph. That's 11 hours of walking. The trick is to not constantly stop and "rest", the body gets all out of sync. Better to warm up and keep moving, with stops only every 2 hours, and then not very long (5-10 min). If dayhiking, you can leave the trailhead at ~4am and be on top for lunch, and take your time coming down. A steady pace easily covers 1000 ft/hr vertical, as long as you are not constantly stopping. Whether camping or dayhiking, I 100% guarantee you that the reason why people "fail" to summit is because they are constantly stopping.

7) I've taken a few "noobs" up Whitney on dayhikes, and they all did fine. It's all about prep (mental/physical) and planning. Keep it simple. Example: my sister wanted to do it when she was 14, not particularly athletic, but not a couch potato either. I told her to jog every day for 2 months, and do 5-6 mile hikes 2 times a week. We did a "prep" hike up Mt. Langley (14k), which has less elevation gain and distance but is actually a more "difficult" hike. Of course I didn't tell her that, and she made it. When we did Whitney a couple weeks later, it wasn't like pulling teeth, but actually very enjoyable. I think that was a 12 hour car-to-car, pretty typical.

8) Don't bring it if you don't need it. There are plenty of good forum posts out there with "recommended" loadouts. Gear kills.

Have fun, bring a camera!
View Quote
This s exactly what I was looking for. I have a hiking trail near me that goes around a lake, I think it's 2.5 miles, I could start doing that to get myself into shape. I also have a stationary bike in my bedroom that I have been using a good bit lately, I will up my workout time on it. As far as water goes, I have a few methods to purify water on the way up. I will probably use some tablets and if that doesn't work or I don't like the taste (I should experiment with some now) I have a few life straws. We are planning to do just a day hike, leaving at 3AM. Could you recommend a good pack for around $100? I am thinking about getting a 5.11 rush 12, I have a rush 72 and it seems solid and comfortable.

ETA: I have some NF soft shells I will take on the way up for when/if things get cool. May also take a rain coat. As far as pants go I may get some of those convertible ones or should I just wear shorts?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:51:22 PM EDT
[#13]
A rain shell is an absolute necessity, IMO. If it's not raining, it'll really cut the wind, too. REI makes some good ones that won't set you back a lot of money. I buy a lot of similar grade stuff from a regional chain called Eastern Mountain Sports, my 2 EMS Thunderhead rain jackets have gone everywhere with me for the past 4 or 5 years, and keep me dry when I'm driving my topless & doorless Jeep in the rain, too. A soft shell really isn't an insulating layer, it'll do more than a hard shell will but a fleece or down sweater will do better. I don't know what you have or how much stuff you're willing to buy, but a few weeks ago I picked up an EMS Feather Pack down jacket for a hike above the treeline in far below zero wind chill (-30F range), and it is a GREAT jacket. I ended up not needing it, though, because I'm a freaking furnace and even in wind chills that low I was comfy with a silkweight baselayer, midweight merino wool layer, and another midweight merino shirt with my rain shell over it all. Anyway, if you can get an 800 fill power water-resistant down (DownTek, DriDown, etc) jacket for $100ish, it's something to seriously consider. REI will have similar stuff, and a few years back I got a similar Marmot down jacket from Sierra Trading Post for even less. There's nothing nearly as warm for the weight and pack space, and the treated down means you can even wear it to bed if your sleeping bag is marginal for the temps.

TNF pants, EMS jacket & gloves, MH pack, Hillsound Trail crampons, and Black Diamond poles, I trust all of them 100%. The only thing I'll be changing for next winter is buying mountaineering boots and leaving the Sorel Conquests for snowshoeing. They're not the best boots for boulder scrambling. Oh, and buying real crampons for above treeline ice.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:48:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Been watching some YouTube videos, am I going to need crampons and/or ice axe in June? Also I did not realize there was so much climbing on little trails on the side of a cliff, guess I need to get my fear of heights in check
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:52:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 1:18:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
@Lothbrok
View Quote
wewlad

Ever been at elevation? How high? How long? How strenuous?

Be real with me - what's your physical fitness level? How much cardio do you do in a given week?

Ever backpacked and carried heavy loads long periods of time before?

Let's start there. Good news is you've got a few months, so I can give you a decent training plan if you'd like, that way you can be damn sure you're gonna be in good shape for the trip up.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 1:33:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Noted. Thanks!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Noted. Thanks!
Get an Alabama Omelet with Home Fries and a side of biscuits and gravy.  Try not to fap at the table.

ETA - not directly before the hike
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 1:42:53 AM EDT
[#18]
I've done it a couple of times, it is difficult.

I took an ice ax my first time, by the time I got up to the snow it was soft and melting, ax didn't do much.

Get a good pair of light hiking poles. They will give your legs a break and provide better stability when you are in the steeper snow field near the saddle.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:11:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've done it a couple of times, it is difficult.

I took an ice ax my first time, by the time I got up to the snow it was soft and melting, ax didn't do much.

Get a good pair of light hiking poles. They will give your legs a break and provide better stability when you are in the steeper snow field near the saddle.
View Quote
We are supposed to summit on June 6 (yes, D-Day) have you ever been around that time? I think that's pretty early, lots of snow. I don't want to buy an ice axe and not need it, but I don't want to need it and not have it. I found some crampons on Amazon for $25 so I'm gonna get those for sure
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 10:11:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

wewlad

Ever been at elevation?
Yes, a few times for snow skiing, its been a few years though. Nothing bad happened.

How high?
Everytime was the Arapahoe basin.

How long?
1 week each, 3 trips total IIRC

How strenuous?
Nothing greuling, just casual skiing.

Be real with me - what's your physical fitness level?
5-10, ~180lbs, decent shape.

How much cardio do you do in a given week?
Ride my stationary bike almost everyday, usually 15-20 minutes sometimes more, sometimes less. Going to double that atleast though.

Ever backpacked and carried heavy loads long periods of time before?
Nope , FWIW we are planning to make it a day hike so my pack should be very light, rain coat, hardshell, food, water, crampons, poles, camera, that's it.

Let's start there. Good news is you've got a few months, so I can give you a decent training plan if you'd like, that way you can be damn sure you're gonna be in good shape for the trip up.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:01:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Thinking about getting this pack.

Some other stuff I'm looking at.
Amazon Product
  • ?Quality material: abrasion-resistant 18 multi-directional enhanced stainless steel spikes
  • ?Durable: TPR rubber is highly elastic and won't tear or snap
  • ?Convenient: Easy on/off available in multiple sizes and colors

Amazon Product
  • MOVE FASTER & FURTHER WITH LESS EFFORT: Made from Shock Absorbent, Ultralight 100% Carbon Fiber Material, which Minimizes the Impact on Joints and Absorbs any Noise. Weighs only 7 oz so it Reduces Arm Fatigue Allowing One to Move Quicker and Go the Extra Mile while Exerting Less Energy. Indestructible Design Will Withstand the Most Challenging Backpacking Trips.
  • ONE SIZE FITS ALL: Quick Lock Technology Allows User to Adjust Pole's Length Quickly and Easily While Firmly Holding its Position. Perfect Fit for Short or Tall MEN, WOMEN & KIDS. Provides Benefits to Seniors and Those Carrying Extra Weight. Retractable from 24" to 55", which Makes Foxelli Trekking Poles One of the Most Versatile and Compact in its Class.
  • SUPREME COMFORT: Anti-Slip Natural Cork Grips Adjust to the Hand, Absorb Sweat, and Keep Hands Cool and Dry During Long Distance Hikes. Air Ventilated, Extra Padded, Adjustable Wrist Straps Provide All Day Comfort. The Extended Foam Sleeve Has Ridges and is Made of Soft EVA Foam to Easily Handle Switchbacks and Abrupt Changes in Terrain.

Amazon Product
  • Sizing clearly indicated on the sock
  • Flat knit toe seam
  • Sock Height: Crew

Amazon Product
  • 70%Cotton, 20%DryCool yarn, 7%Polyester,s 2%Spandex, 1%Elastine
  • Medium size fits Men shoe size7-9US, Large size fits Men shoe9-11
  • Multi Purpose hiking socks. Dry-Cool yarn for quick dry. Midweight extra pile cusion padding in the heel and ball protect the foot from shear and prevent painful blisters.

Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:36:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Take it from someone who uses that style of "crampon" a lot in my job at a ski area. They are inadequate for the climb you are doing.  The rubber holds them on your boots but they still slide around on your boot soles with any kind of serious load.  

At a minimum I'd suggest a set of these. Nice quality and made in Italy.

Best Price I've Found For Them
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:40:02 AM EDT
[#23]
OK, first things first that's not enough cardio. You need some hikes, runs, and long walks with a pack on to prep. Start that today if possible. I know your area isn't known for massive elevation, but the best training tip I have is to practice elevation gain. Your goal is 1,000ft of vertical gain in an hour with a pack weighing in at 20% of your body weight. I'd recommend making that water so you can dump if out and lighten your load if it becomes too heavy. Find a hill, walk up, run down, walk back up until you've reached your 1,000ft goal. Whitney is a long goal with lots of vert at high elevation, so you need to be ready for this.

As for gear, this has been a high snow year for CA, something like 200% over average statewide. You're probably still gonna run into some snow on the way up. Those microspikes you posted are decent but you should check in with the ranger station and see what they're seeing snow-wise to see if you need legitimate crampons. Probably won't, but better safe than sorry. An ice ax may be required, but you can probably rent one from a local gear shop rather than buying your own.

What's your acclimatization plan? You'll want to spend a day or two at a minimum at a higher elevation just to get used to it, then follow the old adage of "climb high, sleep low" while you're on the mountain. You guys planning to do this as a two day trip with a summit push from a high camp, I imagine? That'd be the way to do it for flatlanders for sure. 14k is no joke. Listen to your body while you're up there and drink more than you think you need to. I normally budget 4L on a summit day for my final push, and usually it's all gone by the time I'm back down. I drink a lot, though, so that's part of that.

Be sure to get some form of energy into your body every 45-60 minutes on the way up. I love Gu gels for this, but that's a personal thing. You don't want to bonk at high elevation, it's not really fun. Appetite is suppressed at elevation, so you may not feel hungry, but trust me, you need the energy. Also make a rule to apply sunscreen often - normally when you stop for food, even if that's every hour. The sun is intense up high and snow reflects sun back up at you, making it worse.

I think that's about it. Definitely ask any questions you have, I'm more than happy to answer them.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:53:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Take it from someone who uses that style of "crampon" a lot in my job at a ski area. They are inadequate for the climb you are doing.  The rubber holds them on your boots but they still slide around on your boot soles with any kind of serious load.  

At a minimum I'd suggest a set of these. Nice quality and made in Italy.

http://magento-gearexpress-cdn.s3.amazonaws.com/catalog/product/cache/1/image/400x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/a/camp_magix_10_crampon.jpg

Best Price I've Found For Them
View Quote
Is this something I could rent along with an axe? Don't wanna pay $150 for some things I may only use twice
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:58:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Every gear shop worth their salt will rent you crampons.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:00:19 PM EDT
[#26]
I remembered something I left off of my last big post.

I want you to run the Alpine Combine and post your scores.
(1) Box step, 1000', wearing boots and a backpack containing 20% of your body weight;
(2) Dips in 60 seconds;
(3) Sit-ups in 60 seconds;
(4) Pull-ups in 60 seconds;
(5) Box jumps in 60 seconds;
(6) Push-ups in 60 seconds.

You can do #1 in your house on your stairs or anywhere you have access. Measure the step height and go from there. This is the standard for alpine fitness judgment these days and will tell you where you're weak/what needs work. I run the Alpine Combine every 4-8 weeks depending on training cycles just to get a feel for where I'm at.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:01:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
OK, first things first that's not enough cardio. You need some hikes, runs, and long walks with a pack on to prep. Start that today if possible. I know your area isn't known for massive elevation, but the best training tip I have is to practice elevation gain. Your goal is 1,000ft of vertical gain in an hour with a pack weighing in at 20% of your body weight. I'd recommend making that water so you can dump if out and lighten your load if it becomes too heavy. Find a hill, walk up, run down, walk back up until you've reached your 1,000ft goal. Whitney is a long goal with lots of vert at high elevation, so you need to be ready for this.
Ok. I will double up on my cardio. There is a 2.5 mile hiking trail at a state park very near me, I plan this weekend to go and hike it, and keep doing that as much as possible. There are some hills at my house I can run up and down with a pack too.

As for gear, this has been a high snow year for CA, something like 200% over average statewide. You're probably still gonna run into some snow on the way up. Those microspikes you posted are decent but you should check in with the ranger station and see what they're seeing snow-wise to see if you need legitimate crampons. Probably won't, but better safe than sorry. An ice ax may be required, but you can probably rent one from a local gear shop rather than buying your own.
I think I'm going to find a local place to rent some real crampons and axe if that's possible.

What's your acclimatization plan? You'll want to spend a day or two at a minimum at a higher elevation just to get used to it, then follow the old adage of "climb high, sleep low" while you're on the mountain. You guys planning to do this as a two day trip with a summit push from a high camp, I imagine? That'd be the way to do it for flatlanders for sure. 14k is no joke. Listen to your body while you're up there and drink more than you think you need to. I normally budget 4L on a summit day for my final push, and usually it's all gone by the time I'm back down. I drink a lot, though, so that's part of that.
Camping for four days prior to summit. We are going to do it all in one day, leaving at 3AM, I am planning on taking a life straw and some tablets for purifying water.

Be sure to get some form of energy into your body every 45-60 minutes on the way up. I love Gu gels for this, but that's a personal thing. You don't want to bonk at high elevation, it's not really fun. Appetite is suppressed at elevation, so you may not feel hungry, but trust me, you need the energy. Also make a rule to apply sunscreen often - normally when you stop for food, even if that's every hour. The sun is intense up high and snow reflects sun back up at you, making it worse.
Gu Gels, got it. Some protein bars too I'm sure? Sunscreen I've got so thats taken care of.

I think that's about it. Definitely ask any questions you have, I'm more than happy to answer them.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:04:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Do you have anything other than the lifestraw? Have you bought it already? If not, get the Sawyer Squeeze instead. The Lifestraw lets you drink but it's way harder to fill a bottle with one (possible, but double your bulk), and you want to be able to carry purified water with you, not just drink at a pit stop. Take more tablets than you think you need as their efficacy in colder water goes down, requiring more tablets to treat the same amount of water. It also takes longer, so keep that in mind.

A one-day up Whitney car-to-car is a tough undertaking. Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:06:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I remembered something I left off of my last big post.

I want you to run the Alpine Combine and post your scores.
(1) Box step, 1000', wearing boots and a backpack containing 20% of your body weight;
(2) Dips in 60 seconds;
(3) Sit-ups in 60 seconds;
(4) Pull-ups in 60 seconds;
(5) Box jumps in 60 seconds;
(6) Push-ups in 60 seconds.

You can do #1 in your house on your stairs or anywhere you have access. Measure the step height and go from there. This is the standard for alpine fitness judgment these days and will tell you where you're weak/what needs work. I run the Alpine Combine every 4-8 weeks depending on training cycles just to get a feel for where I'm at.
View Quote
Ok I can do this one evening this week. Will post back with scores.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:08:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Do you have anything other than the lifestraw? Have you bought it already? If not, get the Sawyer Squeeze instead. The Lifestraw lets you drink but it's way harder to fill a bottle with one (possible, but double your bulk), and you want to be able to carry purified water with you, not just drink at a pit stop. Take more tablets than you think you need as their efficacy in colder water goes down, requiring more tablets to treat the same amount of water. It also takes longer, so keep that in mind.

A one-day up Whitney car-to-car is a tough undertaking. Good luck!
View Quote
I do have a sawyer squeeze too, forgot about that. Think it's in a bag somewhere, I will look this afternoon.

Thanks! I'm nervous, but I'm gonna prepare the best I can and give it a whirl! Never know how far you can go unless you risk going too far...
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:55:06 PM EDT
[#31]
OP -

I live at the base of the Sierra Escarpment (east side of Sierra). I have summit'ed Whitney 9 times and slept on top 8 of those times. Only once was Whitney a destination, the other 8 were because I was using Trail Crest as a way in / out of the back country and went -> what the hell - I'll go camp on top.

SNOW - This is going to be your biggest challenge this year, especially in June. There is section of trail below Trail Crest that is fairly steep, traversing a steep north facing slope with maybe 1,500 of run out. It has a decent wall of rocks, etc. on the downhill side. One time in late Aug., this section was a total ice gully. This year we have a 200% snow pack. This might be to your benefit if someone has kicked out the trail ahead of you. You won't have to follow the "trail".

Here is a link to the Open dates for Tioga Pass. Tioga is approx. 9000' and serves as a general indicator of back country snow condition. Whitney Portal is approx 8000'.
Note: there is a column for % snow pack on the right side of chart.

I was in Lone Pine on Friday and the snow is still almost to the valley floor. Snow level 5000'-6000'.

I recommend you bring hinged crampons and ice axe. You can probably rent the stuff you need in Lone Pine or Bishop.  Elevation Mt. Shop has rentals. Eastside might rent.

Read about and practice self arrest, even if you first do it once you get to the base of the mountain.

Ask questions....

ETA - this should be a damn Cool Trip!!
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 1:14:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
OP -

I live at the base of the Sierra Escarpment (east side of Sierra). I have summit'ed Whitney 9 times and slept on top 8 of those times. Only once was Whitney a destination, the other 8 were because I was using Trail Crest as a way in / out of the back country and went -> what the hell - I'll go camp on top.

SNOW - This is going to be your biggest challenge this year, especially in June. There is section of trail below Trail Crest that is fairly steep, traversing a steep north facing slope with maybe 1,500 of run out. It has a decent wall of rocks, etc. on the downhill side. One time in late Aug., this section was a total ice gully. This year we have a 200% snow pack. This might be to your benefit if someone has kicked out the trail ahead of you. You won't have to follow the "trail".

Here is a link to the Open dates for Tioga Pass. Tioga is approx. 9000' and serves as a general indicator of back country snow condition. Whitney Portal is approx 8000'.
Note: there is a column for % snow pack on the right side of chart.

I was in Lone Pine on Friday and the snow is still almost to the valley floor. Snow level 5000'-6000'.

I recommend you bring hinged crampons and ice axe. You can probably rent the stuff you need in Lone Pine or Bishop.  Elevation Mt. Shop has rentals. Eastside might rent.

Read about and practice self arrest, even if you first do it once you get to the base of the mountain.

Ask questions....

ETA - this should be a damn Cool Trip!!
View Quote
Thank you! I just sent elevation a message asking if they had ice axes to rent, I know they have crampons. I will probably only rent therm for a few days.

It should be a very cool trip provided I make it!

Either way I'm still going to have a good time and it will be a great learning experience.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 1:19:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Avoid those mostly cottonsocks like the plague. Fork over the $60 or so for 3 pairs of Smartwool or Darn Tough merino wool blend socks, your feet will thank you.

As far as ice axes and real crampons, even the gas stations there probably rent stuff like that. The spikes you linked to are for hardpack snow with crusted ice. Whether you can use crampons will depend on your boots, generally only mountaineering boots and some high-end backpacking boots have outsoles stiff enough to support your weight when on point, and grooved rands to accept the crampons. Maybe hit up used gear exchanges for uninsulated mountaineering boots, these are often built similarly to good backpackers but with the narrower mountaineering sole and crampon compatibility.

Trekking poles are an area you don't want to go cheap on, either. I'm a huge fan of Black Diamond poles, their FlickLocks don't loosen up like twist-type locks do. A more practical one for you might be one of their Z poles, with FlickLock length adjustment. These are much easier to carry in or on a pack, my BD Syncline poles only collapse to about 37" and are all but impossible to carry on a pack without hitting stuff. MSR Flight poles are good as well, they use spring-loaded button locks that will take all your weight, too. These are better to rent, along with crampons & ice axe.

One site I REALLY like is trailspace.com, they have lots of gear reviews and in the forums you can find people who'll be able to give you a step-by-step breakdown of the climb.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 1:37:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Avoid those mostly cottonsocks like the plague. Fork over the $60 or so for 3 pairs of Smartwool or Darn Tough merino wool blend socks, your feet will thank you.
Thanks, I found some smartwool merino wool blend socks on amazon I will get instead.

As far as ice axes and real crampons, even the gas stations there probably rent stuff like that. The spikes you linked to are for hardpack snow with crusted ice. Whether you can use crampons will depend on your boots, generally only mountaineering boots and some high-end backpacking boots have outsoles stiff enough to support your weight when on point, and grooved rands to accept the crampons. Maybe hit up used gear exchanges for uninsulated mountaineering boots, these are often built similarly to good backpackers but with the narrower mountaineering sole and crampon compatibility.
I am probably getting some boots like this. Would they work with crampons?

Trekking poles are an area you don't want to go cheap on, either. I'm a huge fan of Black Diamond poles, their FlickLocks don't loosen up like twist-type locks do. A more practical one for you might be one of their Z poles, with FlickLock length adjustment. These are much easier to carry in or on a pack, my BD Syncline poles only collapse to about 37" and are all but impossible to carry on a pack without hitting stuff. MSR Flight poles are good as well, they use spring-loaded button locks that will take all your weight, too. These are better to rent, along with crampons & ice axe.
Yea, I'm going to rent all that stuff when we get out there, we are flying into vegas so there should be plenty of opportunities to rent.

One site I REALLY like is trailspace.com, they have lots of gear reviews and in the forums you can find people who'll be able to give you a step-by-step breakdown of the climb.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:12:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I am probably getting some boots like this. Would they work with crampons?
View Quote
I don't see where it mentions crampon compatibility anywhere on the page, and that sole looks a little too insubstantial to be a non-moving interface between the crampons and your feet. Ideally the sole won't flex from your weight when you're pointing or edging.

What you'll be looking for is something like this:

Salewa Crow GTX

Crampon compatibility is clearly advertised.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:21:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Should I be looking at something like this for a base layer? Also, are mountain khakis good hiking pants?
Amazon Product
  • UA Tech fabric is quick-drying, ultra-soft & has a more natural feel
  • Moisture Transport System wicks sweat & dries fast

Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:23:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I don't see where it mentions crampon compatibility anywhere on the page, and that sole looks a little too insubstantial to be a non-moving interface between the crampons and your feet. Ideally the sole won't flex from your weight when you're pointing or edging.

What you'll be looking for is something like this:

Salewa Crow GTX

Crampon compatibility is clearly advertised.
View Quote
Alright, I will do some more digging into boots. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:42:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Boots are rated on a B0-B3 scale, depending on what you're looking for.

The boots you have now are very likely B0, meaning they are not rigid enough for crampon use.

You'll want at least B1 boots for this use.

Here's a good primer on the differences:
http://www.gearweare.com/guides/footwear-guides/walking-boot-rating-systems/
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:27:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sierra said they rent crampons but not an axe, I contacted lower gear and eastside in Bishop to see what they offer.

Lower lists poles for rent but not crampons or axe
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:30:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Video of my friend pulling it off...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SareivIeoo
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 7:55:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Some of the gear I have, plan on packing the wool sweater and soft shell NF up. Doubt I will take the rain coat. Mechanix gloves be enough for June or should I plan on something heavier?
Attachment Attached File

Water stuff
Attachment Attached File

First aid kit with some blister patches
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 8:10:30 PM EDT
[#42]
I voted yes but I still call dibs.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Ditch that kit, it's too heavy. Probably has a bunch of extraneous shit, too. I'd personally take something other than Mechanix gloves but that's a me thing.  Do my eyes deceive me or is that a lot of cotton in that pic?
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 8:15:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Ditch that kit, it's too heavy. Probably has a bunch of extraneous shit, too. I'd personally take something other than Mechanix gloves but that's a me thing.  Do my eyes deceive me or is that a lot of cotton in that pic?
View Quote
Ok IFAK is nixed lol

Well the sweater is wool, not taking the raincoat and the red NF is... idunno what it is
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 8:16:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I voted yes but I still call dibs.
View Quote
I voted for pie
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 8:17:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I voted for pie
View Quote
So far I'm the only one that believes in you
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 8:17:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

So far I'm the only one that believes in you
View Quote
The Touch - Stan Bush (HD Restoration)
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 8:27:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Ive done the tail three times, summited onve.

Lots of incline, but the altitude will kick your ass.  Only reason I made it was I had soent a week before doing a cross country camp in Mammotj.  You start around 6000 feet, by 9000 you feel it.

On my phone, PM if you want more info and I can get on mu computer.

Oh, count on losing 3 degrees for every 1000 feet elevation.  The top is COLD, and windy.  There's a base camp at about 10,000 feet to spend the night, there's usually some melting snow to get water from.  Check with the shop at the trailhead before you go.  And check the weather.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 8:39:24 PM EDT
[#49]
What I do to help with blisters is paint my heels with tincture of benzoin for a few weeks before a big hike to help toughen them up. You can use it wherever you tend to get blisters. Bring a bottle or ready-to-use swabs with you as well, because they help moleskin stick better, too.

Nasty blister I got from some boots that didn't fit PERFECTLY. I put the moleskin on around a hot spot, but within a few miles I felt it tear. There actually wasn't a lot of pain.

All better an hour or so later, with thick moleskin (mole foam, actually), a folded gauze pad, and strength tape holding it all together.

I was able to walk almost normally immediately with this, and normally within 24 hours. More padding and strength tape would have done better, but I wasn't on the trail and that shit is expensive LOL. Strength tape is waterproof and with benzoin tincture (the brown stuff) on your skin it sticks like duct tape on duct tape. I'd definitely recommend bringing some. You can even use it to help with sprains and pulls.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 8:42:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
What I do to help with blisters is paint my heels with tincture of benzoin for a few weeks before a big hike to help toughen them up. You can use it wherever you tend to get blisters. Bring a bottle or ready-to-use swabs with you as well, because they help moleskin stick better, too.

Nasty blister I got from some boots that didn't fit PERFECTLY. I put the moleskin on around a hot spot, but within a few miles I felt it tear. There actually wasn't a lot of pain.

http://assets.trailspace.com/assets/a/9/e/4246174/image.jpg

All better an hour or so later, with thick moleskin (mole foam, actually), a folded gauze pad, and strength tape holding it all together.

http://assets.trailspace.com/assets/a/f/3/4246259/image.jpg

I was able to walk almost normally immediately with this, and normally within 24 hours. More padding and strength tape would have done better, but I wasn't on the trail and that shit is expensive LOL. Strength tape is waterproof and with benzoin tincture (the brown stuff) on your skin it sticks like duct tape on duct tape. I'd definitely recommend bringing some. You can even use it to help with sprains and pulls.
View Quote
Wear dress socks with other socks over them.

Disclaimer: not my advice but it from the Art of foot soldering thread.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top