Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2017 1:54:36 PM EDT
Got a gift card to REI and combining that with my dividend and the 20% off they're doing now and thinking about getting a new sleeping bag.  

My current one is Army issue, and works well but is bulky.

Looking for something $100 or less.  

I have no idea what I'm looking for, honestly.  I am a side and belly sleeper, and range from a hot to cold sleeper, but err on the side of being a cold sleeper.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 2:00:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Marmot Trestles.  Great bag for the money.

ETA - As a side and belly sleeper myself, you'll really appreciate the additional 1/2 zip on the opposite side with this bag.  
You can get your elbows out of the bag when sleeping on your stomach and still keep your core covered up.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 2:23:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Marmot Trestles.  Great bag for the money.

ETA - As a side and belly sleeper myself, you'll really appreciate the additional 1/2 zip on the opposite side with this bag.  
You can get your elbows out of the bag when sleeping on your stomach and still keep your core covered up.
View Quote
Unfortunately, the only version of that bag that goes below $100 has a comfort rating of 42 degrees and is women-specific whatever that means.  And the weight is about the same as my surplus bag (3.3lbs)  I'll look at it, though, thanks for helping me research.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 4:09:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 4:11:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Have a Kelty Mistral 20 XL and love it.  Don't know if they still make them or how much...

Look here for some deals
Sleeping bags
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 4:12:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Oh awesome! I must have only been looking at their regular site.
View Quote
Looks like a hell of deal!
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 4:26:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Buy a bag rated colder than you think you need, but dont get silly.

20 deg nights, get a 0 deg bag.

Dont go to bed while salty....use baby eipea to clean the salty sweat off your body.  It is night and day more comfortable.

If its really damn cold, go to bed with less clorhes on.  Seriously.  

Use a sleeping pad.  The ground has essentially unlimites heat sinking ability.  If you put your bag on the geound with no pad, you will be cold no matter what.

Keep it dry.

Mak sure it is sized for you.  You want to be gently wrapped, not snug.  You dont want your feet wedged against the bottom.  The more distance you have between the inside wall and outside wall of the bag, the warmer you will be.

If im not looking for something lightweight/technical, just buy what suits your needs and budget.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:33:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Klymit 20F..Amazon 135.00 dry down
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 5:38:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Lots of bags out there.
I'm impressed with my daughters (we just got her to last her into her teens) 40f rated dri down from slumberjack..under 3lbs..got it off woot..so price was well under 79$.

On the Marmot.

I've owned the 32f trestles. Since 2010ish.
Great bag. Good fit.
Temp rating is on spot imho. I've had mine into the 20something. .with little to no issues.
Its a little heavier but it packs up pretty small.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top