Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2017 3:19:54 PM EDT
Looking for a wood splitter to cut 5-10 cords of wood per year.  Mostly oak and pine.  Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 7:19:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the 8lb version. Good workout too!

Link Posted: 3/13/2017 9:14:08 PM EDT
[#2]
16# monster maul. Had it since the 70s but I think it's been getting heavier the last few years.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 10:20:37 PM EDT
[#3]
lol I should mention there is no way in hell im using manual power for this. Looking for gas powered options
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 11:14:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Have speeco 22 ton that is doing pretty good.

If your splitting a lot of hardwood might jump up on tonnage.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 8:34:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Cut all your wood and pile it up.  Then, get a friend, neighbor, or family member to help.  Go rent a gas powered wood splitter for a few hours and knock it all out.  

That keeps you from having to own it and maintain it.  I can rent one for 4 hrs for about $45 or 24 hrs for about $80.  A new wood splitter would cost about $1000 or so.  That's more than 10 years worth.  You might also be able to rent one for 24 hrs with someone.  Then you help that person split their wood and you both split yours.  Split the cost of the rental.

Wood splitters are something that are great to have access to but it'll sit more than it runs.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 6:40:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Get a super split and be done with it..
We hire out with ours for 200 a day..
If the wood is cut to length, my gf & I can go thru 10 cords plus in a 6 hour day.
Keeps us in shape and puts extra $$ in the pocket.

http://www.supersplit.com/home/index.html
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 7:26:33 PM EDT
[#7]
The Huskee/Speeco or maybe it's called County Line at Tractor Supply is the best value for the money.  About $1k on sale (or less), 22 ton which means it will split anything you ned splitting, especially with those two types of woods.  have had mine for three and it works awesome.

'Course, I just had to mod it.....

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top