Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2017 6:07:28 PM EDT
I'm going solo primitive camping for the first time on May 6. I'll only be going for one night in the Ocala National Forest. I plan to park my car at a trailhead, hike about 2 hours, then set up camp.

I'm going to try to pack as light as possible.

I've never slept in a hammock before, but I think I want to try.

So, what do I need? How much water? What tips do you have?

I'll be using this bag:
Attachment Attached File

https://www.walmart.com/ip/High-Sierra-58439-4200-True-Navy-Royal-Classic-2-Series-Ascender-40-Frame-Pack/154264357?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=587&adid=22222222227053751865&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=154484591726&wl4=pla-265379610930&wl5=9011563&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=112354378&wl11=online&wl12=154264357&wl13=&veh=sem
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 6:28:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I usually only camp where there are sources of water, that have to be purified.
I use a filter/pump to process my water. 
I carry a 2 liter hydration bladder to drink from while hiking and one liter of water for cooking such.
If no sources for water exist, you are going to have to estimate how much you will need for meal prep and consumption, based off of your planned trip.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 6:46:48 PM EDT
[#2]
One night?

Lots of water, a salami, some hard cheese, whiskey.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 8:24:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Definitely try the hammock out at home, they're not for everybody.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:19:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm local to that area. And hike/camp a shit ton out thete. All of it by hammock/tarp etc. Aka I hike.

I can help ya and point you to places that won't be harsh on a first time.

Let me know.

This is my standard load for a weekend.

Kelty falcon 4k with top lid removed  (3000ci)
8x8 sil Tarp
5x8 ripstop ground sheet/tarp
Hammock (yukon jungle or double)
Usgi thermal rest pad
Bug netting 

Katadyn hiker or mini (depends on area..pack size).
Hypochlorite drops
3x 2 liter platypus water bags
3-4 liters of water

Food of choice

Bug spray.
Thermocell

Area maps..topo..trail map..compass 

Cookstown.
Sea to summit spork

Small cheap head lamp
Surefire g2
2 led Chem lites

Clothing
One longs sleve vented fishing shirt
Spare socks
Trekking shorts
Spare underware
Light weight waffle cut beanie
Mechanix gloves
Bandana
Columbia boonie hat
Flip flops..crocs or chacos.(think Tevas on steriods)

Basic survival shit
Matches..firesteel..multitool..folder..etc etc etc.

There's more or less depending on weather..distance..

Mind laying out your start point..direction on the FT...some sections have zero water...no matter what online says or Google maps.
I'll help the best I can..
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:41:25 AM EDT
[#5]
@protus

I'll be IMing you, my trip got moved up to next week
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:47:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@protus

I'll be IMing you, my trip got moved up to next week
View Quote

Weekday or week end...
I hiked Sunday and last night..
Doing another tonight before dark.
If your not far you can tag along..I'll prolly go longer this weekend sometime as well 
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:03:45 AM EDT
[#7]
You make it out alive...
Was that you dropping dog toys and food bags on the FT ...
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:00:49 AM EDT
[#8]
First solo?  Bring music, and a flask...  Just enough to take the edge off...  Helps to drowned out the unknown!  
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:17:27 AM EDT
[#9]
@protus

I made it out alive haha. I had a great time and it definitely was a learning experience.

I slept in a hammock, which was comfortable, but by about 1am it was so damn cold. It was low 40s. I definitely didn't layer up enough. The nylon hammock meant cold air was hitting my back and it kept me awake. I ended up making a fire at about 2 am and tending to it all night, and sleeping on the ground near it

And wow, I didn't realize how loud coyotes are... One woke me up at about 12am and another answered that sounded much closer to me. It crazy how the howl echoes. My heart was pounding

Cool thing was, I didn't see a single person on my way in or out. I drove my 19 and got on FR 33 south to FS Rd 54 east and then got on  Nfr-90C south. I parked at the spot where it said I couldn't drive any further and then hiked south until I hit the Florida Trail near Hopkins Prairie Campground. I then took the FT east along the prairie for about 1.5 miles until I found a nice clearing and setup camp (29°16'45.3"N 81°42'18.2"W).

I did bring a flask of scotch, which helped.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:27:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:15:00 PM EDT
[#12]
You can park at Hopkins there's a trailhead fyi.
And a car camp area. But you seen it since your pic was near that bat house.

I put my thermal rest in my hammock.

But you got a good last cool weather camp in weather is turning hot hot next week.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top