Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2017 11:05:18 PM EDT
what are some good tactical apparel brands?

only ones i know are OTTE, Crye, and Tyr.

i know about 5.11 too but they seems to run very large.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 11:23:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Condor is surprisingly good value as far as outerwear goes.

Off the top of my head, other Tier1 tacticool stuff is Beyond Clothing, dead bird society Arcteryx, Vertx, Crye, 5.11, Tru-Spec...

The less tacticool, civilian stuff is good too - North Face, Mountain Hardware, Columbia, etc.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 11:35:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Vertyx or Tru-Spec.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 11:40:52 PM EDT
[#3]
LA police gear brand
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 2:48:06 AM EDT
[#4]
My Condor jacket has done surprisingly well (although I haven't really abused it).  It's fine for city/field wear.  Haven't run any obstacle courses with it though.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 3:11:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:22:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Surprising, but Outdoor Research has clothing items based around the PCU system. I'm not positive they supply them in large quantities to the military, but sprinkled throughout their catalog are clothing items in colors that fit the Level 1-7 PCU system.

Check out their Ferrosi jackets in Coyote. Basically a PCU level 5 jacket without the hook panels on the sleeves. I have both the regular and the hooded version, and on sale they're easily had for under $100.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:33:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I will be the nah say'er on Condor. My jacket fell apart under low level use.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:22:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Surprising, but Outdoor Research has clothing items based around the PCU system. I'm not positive they supply them in large quantities to the military, but sprinkled throughout their catalog are clothing items in colors that fit the Level 1-7 PCU system.

Check out their Ferrosi jackets in Coyote. Basically a PCU level 5 jacket without the hook panels on the sleeves. I have both the regular and the hooded version, and on sale they're easily had for under $100.
View Quote
I just got the Ferrosi jacket on sale in November for $50 (should have bought 2 or 3 more on sale) & have worn it all winter. It's a great lightweight quick drying jacket. Pared with a baselayer & fleece when needed it's comfortable down to 20°F if active. Even wet it's still comfortable with a wicking baselayer.

I plan on buying the pants next as I like the stretch fabric & it seems to hold up well for how thin it is.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:19:43 AM EDT
[#9]
If you're looking for a breathable, water-repellent wind shell, check out the First Spear Windcheater or the version they make for Hill People Gear. I've had a FS WC in manatee grey since last Winter. It's been great as an outer layer over afleece or an Arc Atom LT, or by itself in warmer weather.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:27:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Condor is surprisingly good value as far as outerwear goes.
View Quote
Their softshell deninately surprised me.  Been using one as a cool weather shop jacket at work since 2011.  The green has taken permanent black s5ains here and there from work9ng on trucks, the sleeve velco doesn't work too well anymore, the main zipper is about ready to jam up, qnd there are many tiny holes from welding and cutting splatter.  I wear it about 30-35 hours a week during fall thru spring.

But as a jacket, it's still holding up.  I was waiting for it to crap out last winter and bought a replacement, but that's still hanging in the closest waiting for my current one to break.  Tbis is the second winter like that.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 10:52:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I will be the nah say'er on Condor. My jacket fell apart under low level use.
View Quote
I can't speak of their clothing line but 95% of their Tactical stuff is junk. Falls apart very quickly. Poorly stitched. You name it.

I bought a belt from them and the buckle broke after wearing it around my house. Twice.

Once in a while you can find something good from them. But you have to take your chances with a mountain of junk before you usually find it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 8:47:25 AM EDT
[#12]
I've been wearing one of the Condor "Alpha" (fleece/softshell hybrid, $45) around the office ~43 hours a week for the last six months, and it's got no noticeable wear. I've got a Condor Phantom (softshell, $70) that was also warn in an office for about 1.5 years, and that's starting to show some wear around the cuffs and the velcro is just starting to fail.

The Alpha is not very warm. Good down to about 60 F, just enough to keep the chill off. The Phantom is significantly warmer; I could comfortably sit around in the 40's with that jacket, and probably into the 30's if I was doing something active.

That's indoors in an office setting (where they crank the dang'ed AC year round and freeze my butt), so it's not subject to getting banged into sticks/rocks/trees much. For the money, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Alpha, though if I had it to do over I'd probably pickup a Condor "Summit" instead of the "Phantom" ($10 more for a hood).
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:54:09 PM EDT
[#13]
What are you looking for? I worked North Dakota as a FLEO for 4 years and can tell you what worked for me! I carried all the time on and off duty and never never needed any special type of coat as really they let people know that you have a weapon!
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:13:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Condor is good. My brother and I have been using their jackets for the last couple of years and have had nothing bad to say about them.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:41:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I've been wearing North Face for over 25 years now.
Nothing tactical looking but the clothing works as designed.
Both the different polar fleece liners and shells are comfortable to wear and are easily adjusted to regulate body temperature.

I wear 5.1.1. Tactical pants for work every day so a few years ago I bought their Valiant Duty Jacket.
It includes a shell and a liner with removable sleeves.
The liner material feels a little like neoprene and has a sweaty feeling where it touches your neck.
After a year the waterproof zippers on the shell began to fall apart.
After a quick call to 5.1.1. an RMA# was sent and the jacket was replaced free of charge.
I still use the jacket but it's not up to North Face Quality.

I know a few Candian SF folks who wear Arc'teryx.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 6:45:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Condor Summit is a very nice softshell.
Does what it needs to do and for a very nice price.
Can't compare it to my Arcteryx Alpha but that one costs a lot more.
If I could only have one, it would be the Arcteryx
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 6:32:56 PM EDT
[#17]
What are you looking for? What are you needing it for?
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 8:01:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What are you looking for? What are you needing it for?
View Quote
Well, now is the time to find deals; however, I agree with tayous1...what are your needs?

Seasonal/elevation temperature ranges, types and amounts of precipitation, wind factors, is it a dry or humid environment, types of activities; do you want a hood?  

Some features I really appreciate.  The hood is nice when expecting light precipitation and colder temps form wind chill.  Pit zips are a must even in cold weather if humidity is a big factor and you're very active. I prefer a looser cut for layering and CCW.  Some are more insulated, but I prefer just a shell with the primary mission of wind-blocking.  If I need insulation, I prefer to layer underneath my softshell. Being able to close up the sleeves and waist really help to reduce wind flow if wind chill is a concern.

Figure out what you need and start shopping now for the closeouts of last year's models; this is the time to find great deals on your cold weather clothing.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 1:50:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Condor Summit is a very nice softshell.
Does what it needs to do and for a very nice price.
Can't compare it to my Arcteryx Alpha but that one costs a lot more.
If I could only have one, it would be the Arcteryx
View Quote
Yeah I want one of those LEAF Alpha jackets but holy hell that price!
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 2:23:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yeah I want one of those LEAF Alpha jackets but holy hell that price!
View Quote
They have a nice discount if you're LEO/MIL.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top