Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2017 11:18:39 AM EDT
Periodically I post some crazy notion or thing I came up with for backpacking/camping. My backpack has a pocket in it for a frame and I wanted to make a lightweight frame that doubled as something else because I feel like everything I carry on my back needs to be multi-purpose.  I have been looking at backpacking chairs but hated the fact that they would take up important space, add weight and only serve one purpose.  So I decided I'd come up with a chair/frame.

This is an incredibly solid prototype made out of crappy American plywood with carbon shafts to create the supports - I'm 200 lbs and can sit in it with my feet lifted off the ground.  But it folds flat and measures 11" x 22" x 3/4" and weighs 2 lbs.

Now I'm working on a stronger version made out of Finland Plywood that eliminates the carbon shafts and should have it done this weekend.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 11:29:36 AM EDT
[#1]
If you put the supports on the top and bottom instead of front and back you could use cables/ropes instead of solid shafts. Might be able to get away with just along the bottom.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 11:47:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you put the supports on the top and bottom instead of front and back you could use cables/ropes instead of solid shafts. Might be able to get away with just along the bottom.
View Quote

That's what everyone tells me but the back leg would snap in half because it's such crappy plywood.  I'm having a new set of wood run tonight out of Finland Plywood (19 plys in 3/4" thick) that I should be able to secure the bottom of the front leg to the bottom of the back with an adjustable strap and it should be strong enough to hold my weight.  

Ultimately I'm not making these to make money as I don't believe anyone would buy them, so difficulty/time of assembly means nothing to me.  I can put this together in about 1 minute and pack it up in maybe 2.  

Thanks for the feedback.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 11:49:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I was thinking more for your production model that would be made from plastic or carbon fiber.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:17:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Modified star gazer design. Nice!
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:17:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Modified star gazer design. Nice!
View Quote

had to look that up, but yes, it is 100% inspired by those.  Just made small enough to fit in a pack.

I only ever heard those referred to to as hillbilly recliners
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 8:43:31 AM EDT
[#6]
The 18th century wants their chair back. Lol
Attachment Attached File

We used chairs of that design all the time in rev war reenacting.

Neat adapting it as a pack frame as well though.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 10:53:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I would make the tail of the seat a little longer so the back stands just a bit more upright. That would make the whole thing stronger because of less lateral load on the main support.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 5:30:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought three of these for $6 each. I take one with me 'yote hunting. I can sit on it for hours comfortably.

Fits in my 5.11 rush24 pack, and weighs next to nothing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top